• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

I do. We moved from our back to back house in Bell Barn Rd to a council house on the Pype Hayes estate in 1956 and the cinema was there then because I went to a couple of films there with my brother. Initially I believe it was replaced by a supermarket.

This is a commonly held mishaprehension as the word "odeon" is of Greek origin and, long before Oscar Deutsch opened his first cinema there were "Nickleodeons" in the USA. No doubt Deutsch was aware of this and, as a showman, saw a way to bring his initials into the name of his cinema chain.

I went to see an exhibition at the Jewish Museum in London about Jewish entertainers earlier this year.

There was a photograph of the first Odeon in Perry Barr and a mention of Oscar Deutsch and saying that the word Odeon was made up out of the initials of the phrase Oscar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation

Not sure whether that was actually true? I'd not heard it before.

Since, as previously stated, the word "odeon" is of ancient Greek origin Oscar Deutsch no doubt saw the opportunity to include his initials in the name of his cinemas.

The Oak Cinema

Image2.jpg

Here is another Cinema on the Bristol Road, Selly Oak. c 1924.
The Cinema opened in 1924 and it closed in 1979.

I have so many happy memories of the "Oak", I was a Saturday Minors "Monitor" there too. I saw my first grown up film there Elvis Presley's "Jail house Rock".
paul

Thanks for that Brumgum. I'm sure there is more about the Clifton on this thread. My Dad was manager of the Clifton from the late 1930's to around 1945 ish. We used to live opposite the cinema. He would be sad to see it today. We were there during the war and Mom and Dad used to take me across to the Clifton's cellars when there was an air raid.

Judy

Thanks for that Brumgum. I'm sure there is more about the Clifton on this thread. My Dad was manager of the Clifton from the late 1930's to around 1945 ish. We used to live opposite the cinema. He would be sad to see it today. We were there during the war and Mom and Dad used to take me across to the Clifton's cellars when there was an air raid.

Judy
Yes i wish someone would buy it and do something with it. The Beacon was more my Cinema and it think belonged to the same group but the Clifton was a bit posher than the Beacon methinks.Did you know the Beacon?.

Greetings, I was a projectionist at the Clifton and Beacon way back in the late 60's, the projectors were BTH mk2 the same at both cinemas, think the box
was accesed from the a door in the upstairs foyer, been a long time.
Andrew

I remember going to a Saturday Matinee at The Beaufort, Washwood Heath. Some stupid boy sitting behind me put bubble gum in my hair! I got a real bollocking off my mom and she banned me from going again....as if it was my fault? I was about 9 in 1956! Happy memories!

Greetings, I was a projectionist at the Clifton and Beacon way back in the late 60's, the projectors were BTH mk2 the same at both cinemas, think the box
was accesed from the a door in the upstairs foyer, been a long time.
Andrew
I used to go for the Saturday mornings for kids at the Beacon in the late Sixties, tickets were sixpence. Remember a great chip shop up the steps.

Here is a never seen before photo of the Scala cinema Smallbrook Street after it's closure and imminent demolition. I have posted this on the demolition thread but thought it would be nice to post it here.

img334.jpg

The Big Problem with the Odeon Queensway Way Property it is so designed it cannot be made to fit any other purpose then what it was built for. I had looked at it for a possible nightclub conversion a number of years ago.. To now avail... The problem with re-opening it as a Cinema 1.. No New Product available to show.. Re-runs are a waste of time. 2.. If The Rent was Free. Rates where far to expensive.. They where higher then the Birmingham Hippodrome (Theatre section of the complex) Having worked in the Theatre - Cinema - Leisure Business for 40 years. If I had my time all over again.. and know what I now know.. I would have become an accountant...

The good old days Cinemas,my local ones were The Rialto & Robin Hood -Hall Green, Springfield- Sparkhill
Piccadilly & Waldorf - Sparkbrook and I also used to go to The Kingsway -Kings Heath & the Carlton.
Because they used to change the Films on a Thursday & Sunday,and at one I remember that delicious ice cream brand
Eldorado with a Polar Bear Symbol,and in my Teens I was an usherette at the Robin Hood.

Jemina

A picture of The Picture House and Theatre Royal, with the letters G & M on the Theatre Royal as part of the decorations for King George and Queen Mary in 1911
The Picture House and Theatre Royal.jpg

Back