• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Cinemas

more Gaiety

Attachments

• Gaiety Front edit.jpg
    Gaiety Front edit.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Gaeity edit screen end.jpg
    Gaeity edit screen end.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Gaeity edit Kiosk.jpg
    Gaeity edit Kiosk.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 20
zzxc.jpeg
The Plaza, 1927 on it's first day of opening, it closed down after 45 years.

More Cinemas

Bristol circa 1946. Originally built by Albert Rogers who was head of The Victoria Playhouse Group, and managed by his son John Rogers.
It had a nautical theme starting outside with the large lighthouse on the top of the building, the doors were designed like the doors on a luxury liner both internally and externally, most people think that as the cinema stood on the Bristol Road this is where the the name originated from, but the name in fact was derived from the models of the BRISTOL SAILING SHIPS that were in the alcoves either side of the proscenium arch surrounding the screen, when the house lights went up the ships were illuminated with backlighting. Unfortunately because the cinema was situated so close to the city centre Mr Rogers was barred from getting first run films and so in the end the cinema was sold to ABC whose other cinema in the town centre was the Forum latter known as the ABC New Street.

The Adelphi managed by Frank Crane

The Broadway prior to modernisation and becoming the CINEPHONE also originally owned by THE VICTORIA PLAYHOUSE GROUP

The Futurist

The Oak

Attachments

• adelphi.jpg
    adelphi.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 26
  • bristol ed.jpg
    bristol ed.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 26
  • broadway ed.jpg
    broadway ed.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 29
  • CCF08042012_00000.jpg
    CCF08042012_00000.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 34
  • CCF08042012_00002.jpg
    CCF08042012_00002.jpg
    779.6 KB · Views: 26
MOre Cinemas.

The Tivoli at the Swan Yardley

THE PICTURE PLAYHOUSE.
This was situated in Acocks Green on the site of what is now BOOTS the chemist, it was only ever a silent cinema, and it closed when THE WARWICK CINEMA opened just further along up Westley Road, (now Warwick Bowl and Laserquest)

Attachments

• Tivoli.jpg
    Tivoli.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 20
  • CCF08042012_00001.jpg
    CCF08042012_00001.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 19
aaz.jpeg

Most of these cinema ads are from a 1958 newspaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
kkjjl.jpeg
The Victoria, Green Lane Small Heath, it was known locally as the 'Green Lane Cinema'. 1951.

Stitcher. Sunday afternoons at the Odeon in New Street were a regular for me and my friends! It was quite a meeting place.

Judy

View attachment 76008

The Rialto,Stockland Green.

Only ever knew that cinema as The Plaza, and I lived about half a mile away for 20 odd years. Maybe it was called the Rialto before it was the Plaza. Fond memories of it in any case. Saturday morning with the three stooges, getting chucked out trying to get in to see Spartacus when I was under age and for making too much noise, I think by that blokes mrs who was a right dragon. If there any noise at all she would stop the film and march down the aisle threatening to chuck us all out.

Keegs - thanks for the photo of the last days of the Tatler. I used to go there with my Dad sometimes when we were in town in the late 40's I would think it would be. The programme was similar to the News Theatre in High Street - a continuous loop of cartoons and a newsreel. As these were the days before TV this was a real treat. I did enjoy seeing your photo.

Judy

ai.jpeg
A small one this as cinemas go, it was another one I never visited.
The Era Picture Playhouse, Bordesley Green. 1958.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Zambodini: You are right, the Plaza, Stockland Green opened in 1928 as the Plaza. I could hardly believe the article
where it says on the front of the building "Plaza" but refers in the article to the place being called the Rialto. Mr. Riego lived with his wife and stable of Alsatian
dogs. I used to cut down a gulley behind our house and Mr. Riego would be walking his dogs at the bottom of the gulley around the corner from his house on the corner of Woolmore Road and Ransome Road. I was terrified of the dogs as they would run around in an excited way when off their leashes in the gulley. If I could see Mr. R from the top of the gulley with the dogs I would go via Woolmore Road to Marsh Hill J&I School.
My brothers and I used to go to the Saturday matinee there in the late l940's and to other films later on. Mr. Riego took his job as Manager very seriously
and his employees wouldn't stand for any nonsense. The lady with the torch a steadfast employee, not Mrs. Riego, would come around and shine it on the backs of the seats to see if you had your shoes up on them. If so, a sharp tongue would deliver some strong words. She seemed to undertake several tasks at the cinema such as selling the ice creams, taking the tickets, showing people to their seats and keeping an eye on children on Saturday's.
Mr. and Mrs. Riego were a bit like superstars in our area and always were dressed up. Mrs. Riego seemed to own a lot of fur coats. Most of their garden was a dog pen with chicken wire up the sides and over the top. The school was across the road and it was often quite frightening to see the dogs running around and barking in the enclosure.
Mr. Riego was always very friendly to me and much respected in Birmingham in general.

cui.jpeg
I do have a vague memory of going to this one once maybe.
The Scala, Smallbrook Street. 1953.

Same with me stitcher, I take it "The Futurist" was in Bristol Street, and had the cafe with Juke box which had a sort of TV when records played.
paul

Back