• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

Definately the "Bristol Road" as it happend's took a girlfriend to see that actual film in 1963, the first film I think in "Panavision" or something like it.
paul

Ragga

Without a doubt The Bristol Cinema, as a matter of fact I saw that film there when it first came out.

Phil

EdgbastonBristolCinema.jpg

Thanks everyone , i thought it`ll maybe bristol road cinema , I think i have been
there once to see Half a Sixpence starring tommy steele and julie foster .
and thanks for the link too richie .
ragga :)

Hi, Does anyone remember the Jacey cartoon cinema by the Midland Red bus station? I used to take my little brother there in the 60's.
Also used to go to the Castle at Castle Bromwich on Saturday mornings to watch cowboy films in the late fifties. Later our Dad took us to see The Parent Trap and Ben Hur. Anne

my dad would take me to the "news theatre" by new st station where they showed cartoons mostly with news items don't know if it was owned by jacey though I do recongonise the name.
paul

Hi Paul

My Dad also used to take me to the news theatre to watch the cartoons. The one at the back of New Street Station was the Tatler in Station Street. He also used to take me now and then to the News Theatre in High Street.

Judy

I wonder judy, if like me when dad was getting the tickets you would creep up to the doors of the news theatre and peek through the dark red glass and see what was on, I can just remember donald duck, magical times now long gone sadly.
regards paul

Long time ago now Paul, as you said! I can't remember the doors, just remember what a treat it used to be to spend an hour watching the cartoons in those days before television.

Judy

absolutly judy the children today would not understand a young childs pleasure from those days with everything on tap now.
cheers paul

I remember going to the "Cartoon Picture house" in Station St in the '60s. What I found amazing was that they showed films from the 1930s and 1940s such as 'The Three Stooges', 'Flash Gordon', and 'Batman'. I have to admit that I thought they were great.

With respect it was simply called BRISTOL not THE Bristol when it opened in 1937

It Opened with Luckiest Girl In The World starring Jane Wyatt and Land Without Music starring Richard Tauber. The theme of the Cinema was Nautical with Golden Bristol Ships in low relief on either side of the Arch.

It opened on Thursday 27th July 1972 with Mutiny On The Buses Screen 1. Henry VIII and His Six Wives Screen 2. I Am A Dancer Screen 3.

Quote.---- With respect it was simply called BRISTOL not THE Bristol when it opened in 1937

Quite right Alf as in Phils photo *1023

How are you you,ve been very quiet just lately you O.K.?? Dek

Hi Barr Beacon - When I used to go to the Tatler in Station Street it was in the late 1940s/early 1950s when my Dad used to take me there. I remember all the films you mention but I think when I used to go it was mainly cartoons and a Pathe newsreel (with the Cockerel). It was an hour long programme that was continuous, you could just pop in for a while when you felt like it.

Judy

The only News Theatre I knew till 1960 was at 56 High Street near the corner of Albert Street with a Pub on the corner and was owned by Movietone News from 1932 and run by Joseph Cohen (Jacey) before then it was the Oxford.

If anyone knows the name of the Pub it would fill a gap in the old memory bank.

I know we use to get there on the No6 Tram which ran up Dale End.

Alf - My Dad used to take me to the News Theatre in High Street as well as The Tatler in Station Street. I remember the News Theatre was where M&S stands now. Don't know the name of the pub though.

Judy

Quote---- If anyone knows the name of the Pub it would fill a gap in the old memory bank.
Alf the pub was the Red Lion

The News Theatre was next door between Albert St and Carrs Lane M&S was the other side of the Lane. Dek

Back