• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Cinemas

You can tell from Stephenson Street that it looks like it was a cinema. It's been 100 years since it was first built to show silent films.
But that only lasted 16 years. Maybe when the talkies arrived in cinemas.

Information from my books ...

From Pevsner Architectural Guides: Birmingham by Andy Foster

The Futurist Cinema is by Arthur Stockwell of Newcastle upon Tyne, started 1914, slightly simplified during construction by Essex & Goodman, and completed 1920. A classical, rather civic, design in pink-red brick and cream terracotta, a contrast with Birmingham work in the same materials. Open Ionic arcade above the entrance. Impressive blank rear elevation on Hill Street.

From Images of England: Birmingham Cinemas

The cinema was built by one of Birmingham's own impresarios Sol Levy. Construction started before the First World War and the cinema opened in 1919, like other city-centre cinemas it had a cafe bar, which served as a meeting place for people not neccessarily going to see a film. The building is now used as a nightclub.

It was a nightclub called Wildcats, and before that Spearmint Rhino Extreme. Think whoever owns the leasehold wants it to still be a nightclub of somekind.

These pictures are just great. Thank you.

No problem. I recall that local comic book shop Nostalgia and Comics had (or still has) a poster of Cobra saying "now showing at the Futurist". Nostalgia also used to have a big Batman Returns and Terminator 2 billboard sized posters inside (they have done it up recently so not sure if they are still in there).

Hopefully attached are some pics of THE PICTURE HOUSE ( Piccadilly Arcade) circa 1911, including interior shots of the auditorium, lounge waiting area, passage way, and original frontage.

Nice set of photographs there, ellbrown. I was a regular visitor when it was a cinema, writing little reviews in my notebook of the films I'd seen, including actors, composers, producers and directors. I think I still have the notebook somewhere. :)

Chris:

That was obviously way before my time, but nice set of pics nevertheless. I wonder what happened to that scupture. Most likely smashed to bits I bet! :(

Maurice :cool:

I was scanning youtube earlier and ended up listening to a load of Four Tops music. Ah the memories it brought back. I first saw the Tops at the Odeon in the city centre, in the early 60's. They were the headline act and they were twenty minutes or so late getting on the stage because, I think it was Millie, who was on before them, gave such a great set that we, the audience, kept calling her back for more. I remember she wore a pink shorts suit.
Anyway to get back to the Tops, they were phenomenal, no other word for it, phenomenal. First time I'd ever heard any group that were better live than on disc. I'd give anything to have that night over again.

As your resident film criic :p
Saltley Picture Palace 20 Alum Rock Road
Opened 1911 Dispite claims that it opened in 1900

Later known as the Orginal reinforcing the fallacy that it was B'ham's .‚..first Cinema.
Closed 1932 when the Rock opened and became a nightclub.
On the 6th October 1979 it was opened as a Cinema with Saturday Night Fever.

Now a nightclub again
I used to go here on Saturday afternoons in 1962(?) for my drum lessons with its resident drummer Wal Eley. It was strictly a drunk's club in the afternoon, but had a bit of second-rate entertainment in the evening. I was allowed to stay a couple of times as long as I kept out of sight in the "dressing-room" - a cubby-hole with a basin and a mirror with light sockets around it - but no bulbs. I couldn't stay in there when the dancer was changing of course - I was only 15. I played the drums on and off for twenty years without actually being paid for performing anywhere. Now I play the ukulele. It's easier to carry around.

I can remember getting into the Rock on a saturday morning for a jamjar, in the late fifties. I remember it being surrounded by shops. A Draper's, a Greengrocers and a Butcher's are the ones I really remember.

I took some shots of the former Odeon Queensway from Holloway Circus yesterday. Been closed now for 22 - 23 years!

Was built 1962-4. Closed 1988. Replaced the Scala which closed in 1960 to make way for the Ringway's / Queensway's / Inner Ring Road.

Scala Building, Holloway Circus - former cinema - Odeon Queensway by ell brown, on Flickr

As a kid in the '80s I remembr going to a cinema down Smallbrook Queensway, near the Bull Ring. Never went here though as it closed the year I started going to the cinema
(the UCI in Solihull - closed in 2004, replaced by a BMW car showroom).

The Scala Building used to advertise Buzz FM (a radio station that existed from 1990 - 1994 on 102.4FM - replaced by Choice FM, later by Galaxy 102.2FM)

Having been introduced to the Cinema thread two or three days ago from the Gosta Green to Duddeston site, I have had a very pleasant trip down a very long Memory Lane visiting many of the "Picture Houses" of my childhood and youth in the 1930s and 40s,thanks to everyone who have posted the wonderful photographs and to all the knowledgeable folk for the very interesting history lessons.
For anyone that may be interested,in the village where I now live, Woodhall Spa Lincolnshire, we have a cinema called "The Kinema In The Woods" which has a Compton Organ which rises from the basement and is played on a regular basis. The cinema shows all the latest films but also on occasions has a " Trip Down Memory Lane" when old classic films are shown accompanied by the organ and "Phantom Piano". They have their own website so if you want to have a look "Google" Kinema In The Woods,Wood hall Spa.

Regards to all, Reg the Roverman

This Post is incorrect, could our moderators remove it please. Sorry to have caused any confusion Max

Last edited by a moderator:
Max I,m not sure that caption is right for that picture house. I await confirmation from someone with more Knowledge than I. Dek

Dek i will have another look. Max

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep your right Dek The caption gives info on The Carlton becoming the Coliseum, and is alongside The Capitol.... So still no picture of the Coliseum Max

Cheers Ray, sorry to have caused confusion the attached i what i tried to upload. Max

Max I,m not sure that caption is right for that picture house. I await confirmation from someone with more Knowledge than I. Dek
Thats the Capitol Dek Alum Rock Road the caption is for the Carlton Saltley it became a cinema in 1912 with a name change to the Coliseum . Bombed during a Air Raid in 1941

The right caption Max but we all make mistakes you can't get a Red Card for it:D

Last edited:
I walked down Bristol Street from Holloway Circus, and decided to get some shots of McDonald's on the corner of Bristol Road and Lee Bank Middleway.
Built on the site of the former Bristol Cinema (ABC), which existed from 1937 - 1987, before demolition and the arrival of McDonald's on the site.

McDonald's - Bristol Road, Edgbaston - site of The Bristol Cinema (1937 - 1987) by ell brown, on Flickr

McDonald's - Bristol Road, Edgbaston - site of The Bristol Cinema (1937 - 1987) by ell brown, on Flickr

Slightly of topic but i won the Yo-Yo championship at this cinema in 1962/3. I won a Dawes Daleman push bike donated by Halfords. I have always been after a photograph of that happy day. Max

A book I've got about old Birmingham cinema's had a photo of the Bristol when it was a Cinerama! It is also on the front cover (Images of England: Birmingham Cinemas). The photo was dated 1963.

Re post 985, the Delicia Cinema was also a BBC studio and a wrestling venue many years ago, I used to maintain the telephone system during its BBC occupation when I worked for PO telephones, (later to become BT) Eric

Back