• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Christmas Quiz.

No. 9 of Sid Field was taken outside his childhood home in Osborn Road, Sparkhill, where there is a blue plaque.

Maurice

No. 3 is obviously Saltley Gasworks, but I suppose you want the name of the street?

Maurice

Maurice

In this case I'll make an exception and say you are right, yes I want the name of the street.

Right the state of play at the moment is we have 5 correctly answered questions, one question answered correctly by a combination of two posters. Then we have a question that has been two thirds answered by another combination of two posters but still has the most important part of the answer missing. So we are looking for three and one third answers.

If you are still struggling by Sunday evening I will give the results up to that day.

John

Without giving anything away, I will agree that Saltley Gasworks can't be seen from William Henry Street unless you are about a hundred feet in the air to see over the top of the hill that Nechells Green is on. Yes Nechells gas works (Windsor Street) are in plain site across the wharf.

John

Without giving anything away, I will agree that Saltley Gasworks can't be seen from William Henry Street unless you are about a hundred feet in the air to see over the top of the hill that Nechells Green is on. Yes Nechells gas works (Windsor Street) are in plain site across the wharf.
In that case I would say William Henry Street, looking at Windsor street gasworks.

Well, look at Phil's post #64 again. He didn't actually say they were Saltley Gasworks, and I never knew the area well enough anyway. What he was saying "right" to was my question where I asked if it was the name of the actual street that he wanted. So, please guys, don't get aerated as it may not even be Saltley Gasworks! :) :) :)

Maurice

Well, look at Phil's post #64 again. He didn't actually say they were Saltley Gasworks, and I never knew the area well enough anyway. What he was saying "right" to was my question where I asked if it was the name of the actual street that he wanted. So, please guys, don't get aerated as it may not even be Saltley Gasworks! :) :) :)

Maurice
Sorry Maurice, when I saw Saltley, I knew something was amiss.

If you read my post at #71 you will see that I said exactly the same as John. Can I just point out that the William Henry Street runs slightly uphill toward the gas works and the original photo runs downhill towards the gas works. There that's another clue I've given.

Can I say that we are in exactly the same place we were in when I posted post #67. To get us a little further along I'll just say that they are not Windsor Street gasometers in the photo.

Back