• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Christmas Quiz.

Camp Hill Locks at Bordesley - the only other locks I can find in an industrial area anywhere near Aston!

Maurice

It might not have been an industrial at one time, but I think the area of these locks were (well mostly). That's not saying that the buildings are the original ones, or even still exist today.

Is nobody going to take a crack at question 10, I would have thought with two pubs in view somebody might have recognised one of them even though they have altered?

same here maurice..no idea about no 10..just hope its not my neck o the woods ..i would feel a right fool if it was lol

lyn

It doesn't ring any bells at all with me, Lyn, and it could be well out of the city such as Sutton Coldfield. There are vast areas that I have never visited, particularly on the northern & eastern sides, after all, I spent little more than a quarter of my life there and when I was young and without a car. Most of my meagre drinking in the city was done in the inner city. Every day of my working like I travelled through Balsall Heath, but I never got off the bus there. What I couldn't see from a 48, 49 or 50 bus I was totally unaware of other than a couple of years of cycling, generally around Hall Green, Wythall or Forhill.

Maurice

Maurice

The locks are quite close to another place you were making recent enquiries about, as for question 10 Although it doesn't look like it because of the direction of the photo it's the start of a High Street in SW Birmingham.

Phil,

I'm really guessing now - Belmont Row - and was the solitary house opposite the end of Pitt Street a lock keeper's cottage?

SW Birmingham would be Selly Oak, Bournville or Quinton perhaps and from what I remember, it doesn't look like anywhere I knew. The lamps should give it away to anyone that knows the area.

Maurice

If it has pubs then we can rule out Bournville - can't we? Quinton High Street seems to be just houses.

I don't know King's Norton. I tried Harborne with all its pubs but couldn't spot anything but I don't know it very well.

I don't know when that photograph was taken, Janice, but last time I was in Birmingham (about 7 years ago) most of the roads out of southern Brum seemed to be dual carriageways, and who knows whether those lights are still there.

Maurice

Back