• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Christmas Quiz.

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Here is a little quiz, for those at a loose end over the holiday. Just identify the location, item, person or building. The only clue that I will give is that they are all within Birmingham as it is today.

I will give the answers after Christmas or whenever all the correct answers are given whichever option comes first.

Just give the number of the photo and whatever you know about it.

Quiz.jpg

No. 3 Gas Street Basin (looking away from Broad St). Have painted Gas St basin numerous times, including this view Gas St basin (6).JPG

No. 5 I believe is the drinking fountain and horse trough in Old Birmingham Road, Lickey. It was built in 1906 to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII four years earlier. Note the crown on the top. Dave.

So far five of ten questions answered, one of them wrongly. So six still need answering.

To me no 3 looks like the Birmingham and Fazeley canal just down from Farmers Bridge

1 - Bartley Green - (Field La/Genners La)
2 - St Martins, Bull Ring - South Porch
4 - St Barnabus, Balsall Heath.
6 - AR Tozer - Superintendent of Birmingham Fire Brigade
7 - John Rogers - Bible Editor - Bust in St Johns, Deritend.
8 - William Hutton

The state of play at the moment stands with 8 questions answered correctly, one incorrect answer, one unanswered. So two answers still to find.

After further looking at my painting and pic No. 3 I can see differences, so I think my answer could well be incorrect. Eric

It seems that we are pretty well stuck on this quiz so I will help a little by telling you we are still looking for answers to questions number 3 & 10. I will give all the answers on New Years day answered or not.

This seems to be in an industrial area, Carol, whereas all the pictures of Titford seem to be more rural, though I don't know that area at all.

Maurice

Camp Hill Locks at Bordesley - the only other locks I can find in an industrial area anywhere near Aston!

Maurice

It might not have been an industrial at one time, but I think the area of these locks were (well mostly). That's not saying that the buildings are the original ones, or even still exist today.

Is nobody going to take a crack at question 10, I would have thought with two pubs in view somebody might have recognised one of them even though they have altered?

same here maurice..no idea about no 10..just hope its not my neck o the woods ..i would feel a right fool if it was lol

lyn

Back