• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Childrens' Homes in the 1950s

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the subject of erdington homes i had an old friends mother whom worked at the erdington homes years ago way back in the fifties and she adopted thre kids from there her name was olive frisby and she was married to a nice guy called fred frisby he was a builder her husband and her self was reconised for her work there and they made head page and photographed them in the evening mail there story of adoptionmy friend from there was graham frisby and his older brother was bryan frisby and i think the youngest was steven frisby a little mixed race kid he was very young and they all grew up in springhill passage a small house and later moved to crabtree road hockly sadly they have both passed away meaning olive and fred my friend graham and his brother as also passed away i do beleive little steven as we called him is still possilby alive today i would think little steven is bout fiftyb years old now and possibly married with is own kids best wishes alan,, Astonian ;;;;;;

I visited the old cottage homes today and to me nothing has changed. I was there as a young child myself and how happy I was . It brought back all the good hours I had there in the save arms of a house mother . I cant faulter the homes or how they were run. I was there from 5years old to 13 years old, and Id have gone back in till I was 18. If id have known what I was going home to . I didnt go to my home or to my mother I went to a family member. i was in appledore by to clock if any one was there from 1951 -1964 please let me know as there was 24 children in my home boys and girls,:p;):D
Pauline there is a FB group ECH The Gardens, several members from your time are on this group linda

Hi Pauline,
Just registered on this site.
Yes. I was in the Cottage homes from 1958 to 1964....I lived next door to you! in home 11. I remember a few from home 9 like Yvonne Harkett and her sister Pamela,Elaine Hands,Tom Barrow. I wonder where They are now.
I was also in home 12 where my sister was, and also in Southview from 1963 to 64. I remember some new houseparents arriving at home 9, they were the Whittakers they had a daughter called Marie. I could write a book about ECH, So many memories,all good ones too. I left at 14. I would have happily stayed on there as things didnt turn out so well afterwards.
I wonder if you remember me.
Regards.
Hi Fred do you know there is a FB group called Erdington Cottage Homes (The Gardens) there are several members from your years on there kindest regards Linda

Hi I was in erdington cottage homes between 1959 to 1963 ( not continuos) all my family were there 3 boys and 2 girls . I have tried to remember which house i was in but it wont come to me.
What i do remember was the lady who was our house mother was an elderly lady and i loved her to pieces. she first took care of me at six months and then when we had to return there i would always end up with her.

In 1965 we were sent to a place identical to erdington cottages only difference is it was up in yorkshire called panel ash ( just outside harrogate.
After this we were sent into foster parents in sheldon (radleys)

My familey reasons for us being in care was we were a single parent family and my mom was very ill with diabetis and heat troubles.

colin
Hi Colin there is a FB group called Erdington Cottage Homes ( The Gardens) which has members from your years in ECH kindest regards Linda

Hi GUY Do any of you recall a lady by the name of mrs frisby she worked there for years she also adopted a couple of kids from there here husband was a builder a sweet old lady i think it was three lads all the best to you all and i hope life is being kind to all. best wishes Alan, Astonian;;;;

Not relevant to Birmingham homes but I lived in Aston and after an illness was packed off to Langdon Court in Wembury near Plymouth, must have been arranged by Brum NH, would have been about 1952/3, don’t have any details other than hated the place. Anyone else go there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back