• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Childrens' Homes in the 1950s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou Astonian. That is very nice to hear. It's so nice to read something good.
But if anyone knows of foster parents with the surname COPE, 1955-1962 approx, in the Erdington cottage homes it would help us tremendously
in our search for my sister please.
My sister may have been put with them as she was a bit 'wayward'. And they were a Religious family.
Thankyou Astonian & everyone
Rosy

Hi,

1950-1962 approx, does anyone remember Foster parents with the surname Cope please? I think it would have been
in the Erdington Cottage Homes.
Many thanks
Rosy

Hi Rosy

The Bham Electoral Roll shows an Elizabeth Cope in 1955 at Shenley Fields Childrens Homes and a Florence E Cope in 1950.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Thankyou for that info, and for looking it up.
The Christian names we have, if they are correct, are Lesley & Margaret. But that could be wrong.
The Florence E Cope would be going back too far, as my sister didn't go in the home until then at the age of 5 years.
But thankyou for the info about Elizabeth Cope. I will follow that up.
Thankyou so much for your help. Have a nice evening
Rosy

hi guys
I am wondering just how any homes was there in brum all those years ago as i have found a site today and it was full of homes and the history behind them ; and i read a good article onthe mosely rd remand home and its history and how it was a boy and girl home and not all was tear aways
once owned by the city council and social services for kids whom lost thre parents for various reasons then it was the local remand for the courts mainly the cadburys famly whom decided on the fate of kids as they ran the system in those days it late became known as atherstone house for boys and girls up to a or remand for courtscertain age and at a cwertain age they would be shipped to forral house in kings norton which also you learn about the the owners and the kids being kept there for the courts where hey was held then if they was guilty of a crime and the cadburys felt punishment was need they would go back and shipped tpo some where else up the country ; but there is a dozen or more all over birminggham in those days which i nerver knew about
its a very good topic to log into and tells you the ownrs of such big houses ;
i know why atherstone was closed down and it was not the cost of the running but the carrying ons there ;as the kids ran amok and let out on there own to the shops and smoking weed in them days as i recall the article in the birmingham mail and it was closed down in the1970 so its been standing empty for 13 years now
so why have the council allowed it to deteriate all these years surely it could serve a good person for the homeless hostel or some think
so just how many childrens homes was there ; in brum years ago any ideas ;? astonian;

HI CAROLINA ;
Hope you are well and having a nice evening ; on the subject of letting you know i most certainly wiill tommorrow
as i am researching them nowad i have to close down now as i have got to drive to redditch the other side of worcestershire
to pick up my dear old dutchess as she as gone out dancing with out me tonight as i am having a feild day today discovering such alot
of things that are coming to light with me sorry about this but i will definately do it for you and any other members whom are researching this topic
take care astonian;;

There is a site on Birminghams' children's homes that I did a few years ago here https://www.connectinghistories.org.uk/childrenshomes.asp that you might find useful. In total, I found around 100 children's homes run by the council at one time or another. There are just a handful now.

I went past Athelstone House a couple of days ago - and it has all been done up. It looks like it might be apartments now.
Gudrun

I am asking for help on behalf of my father who attended tennal school from 1950-1956 from the age of 10-16. He as very vivid memories od his time there and of the teachers and would very much like to talk to anyone who was there with him,if they are still alive as my dad is in his 70s now.

my father attended tennal school from 1950-56 from the age of 10-16 and would like to talk to other if possible who were there at the same time.

HI JOHN
There as been a site on here previously but sadly it was hacked by theives and hackers; so disapointing for you as you could have learnt more because the guys whom was there in his period was on ; i doubtnow whether or not they are still around but i truly beleive an old friend of his was a lad called goldie ;
a blond haird lad from ladywood i can tell you his proper name by email as he his still alive and lives in king standing and he at one timedid refer to his name nockie ;but if you never seen the last thread on this school it was like a prison with a big lights attached to the walls and and this las whom was a real guy always escaped and climbed the wall with another ladnamed toddy ;also alot of the teachers was eventualy years down the line was and have been arrested for there like the wordabuse towards the kids [ sexualy asaults ] and now in prison today ] so you may find afew of these guys will not speak about the place today;
they was apprended by the police whom set up an operation called flight after a kid whom was oin a place called tymawr in south wales many years ago in the seventys whom was assaulted there it was a world wide investigation which took them to america to see guys whom was at this school and whom are now
ageing men some kids whom was at this school in wales turned out good and became famous i can tell you but i cannot disclose there names on the thread for obvisious reasons [ legal ]
gudrun; i see you say that mosely rd as openend up or is turned into flats ; i see last nights news that the council as closed yet two more homes
for the same reason why mosely rd was closed down and they are planning further more if they imployed the proper people they would never have the problems with the kids the kids of today are of a differentbreed of yster years ; i personaly think what is your view on this
best wishes and have your self a merry christmas and a happy new year ;; Astonian;

Has anybody got any information on Pype Hayes Hall Children's Home from Oct 1958 up until 1964 please. My siblings and I were placed there during these years The couple that ran the home were Matron Joan Carlisle her husband Superintendent Norman Carlisle, I also recall some names of the staff there; Jeannie Booton, Norma Colbeck, Doris Gray (Nurses), Isabell & Enid (cooks) The reason I am requesting this is because I have been commissioned to write an autobiography, so all relevant details would be greatly appreciated. In addition, I just wish to add that I was a pupil at Paget Road Juniors. My classmates were David Martin, Dennis Blewitt, Brian Inks, Phillip 'Pipa' Jones, Christine Edwards and Pauline Ford to name but a few. My Teachers were Mr Harvey, Mr Marsh, Mr Williams and the headmistress was a wonderful lady called Miss Woodbine I ran away from Pype Hayes Hall in the summer of 1963 with the help of some of my school friends and my siblings left in 1964. All information will be greatly appreciated, thankyou. Kenny.

Was or is there a children's home in Kiddiminster?, I remember a lad from our school going it was a sort of remand home I think.

Hi Paul
I may be wrong but I believe the remand home where they sent them was mosely red as they was sent there from all most every part of Birmingham
And the wyeforest area which included old kiddie minster I maybe wrong in the fifths astonian,,,,,

HI COLIN

Many thanks for that confromation as i thought it was because apparently my wife was in there when she was a child
i have said previuosly mosely rd but i forgot forhill house could have been the next choice as one as just put but if i read it correctly said a anprove school
which could widen the options of choice for the aprove schooling what do you think ?.well for a start he would have gone to a place in kingswood bristo for accessing before a decision was made where to put him ; meaning where to send him eiher come back to brum or send him up country as some kids was
especialy to south wales monmouthshire abergavenny or newport as i can tell you that like alot of kids from aston and hockley was snt there
and some kids from ladywood would come ack to brum and end up the rougest of tennal harbourne birmingham
i coud tell you more but under the regulations and privacy act i cannot say more than that but also there was two on the bristol rd for girls
best wishes to you and paul ; Astonian;; Alan;;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back