• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Chest Clinic

A good group of photos Dwilly. The one photo (anti-TB exhibition) names the sanatoriums around Birmingham too such as West Heath andClent. These places were real lifesavers located in fresh, unpolluted countryside. I had an operation a few years ago at a former TB hospital in Kent. An interesting 1930s place with lots of balconies onto which the recovering TB patients would be wheeled out, in their beds, for a daily airing. Thank goodness we no longer have this problem. Viv.

I used to have to go to that clinic in the fifties, I had bronchitis and asthma and The doctor I saw was Professor Smellie, I ended up going to an open air clinic called Cropwood in Blackwell, Nr Bromsgrove.

Regards Trebor (Rita)

Thanks for posting the link dwilly. My mum was sent to the TB clinic at Romsley - how I wish I could have a look at that model of the clinic on the table.

Actually Viv, we do still have the problem. It is often brought over here by Asian people, sometimes they just visit back home and return with it. By saying this, I am not being racist, just factual. My daughter now works in the community, but she was at Walsgrave in Coventry for 17 years, on Cardio-Thoracic ITU, and there was plenty of it around when she left around four years ago. A friend of mine got TB in 1976 - she lived in Tamworth, but had had a TB hip when she was five -, so I think it may have lain dormant, another friend from Polesworth also developed it, that was in the early 1990's. I feel lucky to have escaped, to be honest.

Hopefully Shortie we're better at dealing with these diseases these days. Iv.

Well Viv, I think we can deal with them as they arise, but it's the frequency that it's brought back from Asia and elsewhere that is the problem. One day perhaps, it will virtually disappear, like smallpox did.

I used to have to go to that clinic in the fifties, I had bronchitis and asthma and The doctor I saw was Professor Smellie, I ended up going to an open air clinic called Cropwood in Blackwell, Nr Bromsgrove.

Regards Trebor (Rita)

I wonder if anyone remembers my late father, Dr John Morrison Smith? He loved working at the Chest Clinic and also worked at the then Dudley Road Hospital, Yardley Green Hospital and Romsley Hill sanatorium where we grew up as young children.

Heather

My wife, who was then Anne McFarlane was in the first group of girls sent to Davis under the Give a Girl Health fund. She was treated by Dr Morrison Smith and remembers him.
Does anyone remember her from the time in the Caselva Wing of the Kinderclinic around September 1965/6?

Back