• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham characters

I do too, I would see him progressing with his collection of prams along the road towards Atherstone. He would be sitting in the long grass having a fag. Apparently, he would push one pram for half a mile, then walk back to fetch another one. It would take him about a day to move a mile.

He then spent a couple of years in a small caravan in the layby on the A446 Lichfield Road by the gas works on Gorsey Lane.

Did they name a pub after him on Coleshill High Street?

weather veinI do too, I would see him progressing with his collection of prams along the road towards Atherstone. He would be sitting in the long grass having a fag. Apparently, he would push one pram for half a mile, then walk back to fetch another one. It would take him about a day to move a mile.

He then spent a couple of years in a small caravan in the layby on the A446 Lichfield Road by the gas works on Gorsey Lane.

Did they name a pub after him on Coleshill High Street?
if he heard you call em prams he would get mad (conveyances} he would say bless him. i dont think they named a pub after him.

One person that stands out in my mind was the lady that stood on the corner of Snowhill Station at around 4.30pm every evening shouting "Spatchy Mail" "Spaaatchy Mail".
I can see her now, a fag in her mouth, turban style head gear, raincoat with her newspaper stand and holding bundles of papers in her arms. She always stood with a slight lean over to one side, and everyone loved her.
I think she was selling the Evening Dispatch or Post.
Strange I always picture her on a rainy drizzling evening.
How could we forget Nelly Kelly, who sold flowers city centre and Witton cemetery on Sundays ...always got cab ...her and all her flowers...easier on way back after she sold most of them ...memories

there was a man of the rd that was camped on the 446 at coleshill. his name was lorence. he had a few convances as he called them (prams) everyone left him alone.when i was on duty i would spend my dinner break and talking to him. he was worth a few bob,and not a tramp, he told me he was a miner but it was to much so he hit the rd,a very inteligent man.
and quite funny. does anyone else remember him
I also remember him Pete, I often commuted along this road to go to work, he used to tramp along between stone bridge Island and Balsall Common. I still miss not seeing him. I didnt know his name until today. RIP Lorence

Back