• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Central Technical College Suffolk Street

J

jim

Does anyone recall back in WWII going to the Tech in Suffolk street on Saturdays and Sundays and leaving before dark because of the blackout. How we used to pop into the little cafe nearly next door to the entrance for a tea or coffee and a Chelsea bun for around 2 1/2d. Also going onto Broad strret to the College there and ordering next week's lunch cooked by the students at about 1/-. Happy days.

The newspaper mentions "extensions" of the Technical College. I wonder f that was adjacent, part of site or at another location?
Get your spades out folks! :D

TV/radio training at the College. Viv.
View attachment 170164
Here's a WW2 image of training for wireless operators. Viv.

View attachment 124738
Viv: That's beginning to make sense now because I had something in the back of my mind that my grandfather (Frank Howard Gossage) went to work at a place called Chamberlains but I had to look out the very old photo album that was his to find a photo of him at Chamberlain & Hookhams A&C Testers and dated 1912. I will see, when it's cooler (today is 18 July 2022 and we are in the middle of a punishing heatwave with a temperature of 35C) if I can scan this photo and post it here.
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Back