• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Cable Tramways Gear

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely no idea what exactly this Tangye winding gear would have been used for. It's an advert from The Engineer in 1888. Anyone know? Viv.

image.jpeg

https://www.tramway.co.uk/library-collections/online-exhibitions/birmingham-3/
https://www.cable-car-guy.com/html/ccuk.html#btc
The picture you give Vivienne was the machinery to operate the cable system and was situated, as far as I know at Hockley.
Satellite

Thanks Alan and Mike. Didn't realise trams used this sort of machinery, albeit not for very long. Viv.

Hi Lloyd - Thanks for the information. I have been studying the systems but still can't work out how the cables go round corners. Some sort of guidance would be needed and I would assume that the gripper has to push past any guidance devices. There is a slight curve on the hill in the photo.
oldmohawk
index.php
In the above pic the central grooves for the cables can be seen although they appear to have installed overhead wires ready for 'normal' tram operation. I still can't exactly understand how the cables went round bends but obviously they did !

Last edited:
The Great Orme Tramway in Llandudno operates on the cable system too. Well worth a ride if you are in the area, most enjoyable.

Simon

The Great Orme Tramway in Llandudno operates on the cable system too. Well worth a ride if you are in the area, most enjoyable.

Simon
Although that is a different system, where the trams are permanently attached to the cable and the "driver" for both is in the winding house! The on-car driver has a means of stopping the cable in emergency, but of course both cars will stop. The weight of the "down" car nearly balances the weight of the "up" car, so the power required is small.

Back