• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham butchers retail.

Hi not sure if it is the same shop. My grandad used to own coopers hardware shop in green lane in 1940s. Next door was possibly a butcher's the other side a cycle shop. In trying to find photos of the shop around that time. It would be great if it was next door

I wasn't a butcher but I worked in dozens of their shops all round Birmingham and the midlands from 1961. Barretts of west Brom, Walter Smith, Dewhurst, Mathews etc so very likely I met some of you butchers here.
Working for shopfitters G.W.Stokes, Bow street we fitted out every new Dewhurst shop and refurbished all the old ones by changing the shop sign and removing J.H. from the J.H.Dewhurst sign. I was a painter and we had to paint the shop ceiling and window ceiling on the 1/2 day closing, the high ceilings on the old shops were anaglypta and painted with white gloss paint which rapidly went yellow again. Usually the manager was helpful and cleared the window a bit early so we could get in and undercoat the ceiling and return a week later to gloss it. Every shop manager that left us on our own always left a penny in the open till drawer!

A refurbish often meant removal of the Victorian marble slab in the window and counter top and replacing with a formica one, a new suspended tile ceiling, and a pegboard fitted on a suitable part of the wall for cans. The old shop signs were made of three pieces of white glass called Vitreolite with metal letters fitted on which was replaced with formica. The heavy Vitreolite was a nightmare to remove, particularly standing up on a catwalk and trestles as you easily could cut yourself on the edges as did I.

Some of the butchers were great fun and liked a good laugh, especially in the black country. One in West Brom said something to me I never forgot, what on Earth made you want to be a painter he asked? to which I replied what made you want to be a butcher? He said "I told the the school careers officer I wanted to work with animals but I day mean bits of em"! :joy:
Were there many Dewhurst butchers in Brum? As there were several in Cov. At least two in town and one each in two of the districts I have lived in. They used to put shelf dividers with little green plastic hedges attached to them. My mate and his two brothers all worked together in one of them on Ball Hill. One of the shops used to display meat outside, sitting on a trestle with that plastic grass, on thin metallic paper trays covers in cling film probably up till the 70s. I remember a dog running off with a tray of belly pork chops and the butcher running after him. There were five butchers trading in one small shopping area then, now just one. The Co Op used to have a proper butcher inside too then. Our family owned butchers shop has been there years (Taylors) they have the original shop photo displayed on the wall in a huge freeze is it called? with a Hereford bull and the butcher, and his grandad as a little lad. He is over retiring age now. The old shop window was crammed full off hanging joints and poultry. So different now. We stand 2 sheep apart like the sign says, maximum of three customers at a time, if there are 3 butchers to serve us, we come in via a traffic light system, in one door, a squirt of the hand gel, no mask, no meat, the butchers wash their hands between serving fresh meat and cooked meat and pies, and they tell you they are doing that, serving from behind a clear screen, we stand in our foot print boxes, and we move up, the old ladies cannot sit on the window ledge any more inside either, but they will deliver, and we go out the other door. I get a raffle ticket for a bottle of wine if I bring one of their branded bags, I am going tomorrow!

Were there many Dewhurst butchers in Brum? As there were several in Cov. At least two in town and one each in two of the districts I have lived in. They used to put shelf dividers with little green plastic hedges attached to them. My mate and his two brothers all worked together in one of them on Ball Hill. One of the shops used to display meat outside, sitting on a trestle with that plastic grass, on thin metallic paper trays covers in cling film probably up till the 70s.

Dewhurst shops were absolutely everywhere in the Midlands, if there was a row of 6 shops on a housing estate somewhere then one would likely be a Dewhurst's.

I recall working at their offices in a backstreet in Worc's city centre and also in Bradford St right across from the meat market gates. I hated working there as the smell & noise coming from across the road was horrible.

I remember those white plastic dividers, they appeared at the same time as the marble slabs were done away with and a new Formica window bed put in. Dewhurst's had the meat in the window displayed on shallow stainless steel trays with those plastic strips laid in between. Many of their shops in the 60's had been butchers since Victorian times and Dewhurst must have bought them out. I remember one old shop actually had a little overgrown pen for keeping animals in as in earlier times they must have killed them out there as well.
All of the old shops had a toilet outside, sometimes down a long path and I've often seen butchers pee in the sink at the back of the shop rather than go outside in the rain.
Strangely enough I've recently spotted the Dewhurst brand reappear on tinned meat products in Poundstretcher & Iceland. Someone obviously bought up the rights to use the original logo 'Dewhurst the master butcher'

Were there many Dewhurst butchers in Brum? As there were several in Cov. At least two in town and one each in two of the districts I have lived in. They used to put shelf dividers with little green plastic hedges attached to them. My mate and his two brothers all worked together in one of them on Ball Hill. One of the shops used to display meat outside, sitting on a trestle with that plastic grass, on thin metallic paper trays covers in cling film probably up till the 70s. I remember a dog running off with a tray of belly pork chops and the butcher running after him. There were five butchers trading in one small shopping area then, now just one. The Co Op used to have a proper butcher inside too then. Our family owned butchers shop has been there years (Taylors) they have the original shop photo displayed on the wall in a huge freeze is it called? with a Hereford bull and the butcher, and his grandad as a little lad. He is over retiring age now. The old shop window was crammed full off hanging joints and poultry. So different now. We stand 2 sheep apart like the sign says, maximum of three customers at a time, if there are 3 butchers to serve us, we come in via a traffic light system, in one door, a squirt of the hand gel, no mask, no meat, the butchers wash their hands between serving fresh meat and cooked meat and pies, and they tell you they are doing that, serving from behind a clear screen, we stand in our foot print boxes, and we move up, the old ladies cannot sit on the window ledge any more inside either, but they will deliver, and we go out the other door. I get a raffle ticket for a bottle of wine if I bring one of their branded bags, I am going tomorrow!
[/QUOT
Dewhurst shops were absolutely everywhere in the Midlands, if there was a row of 6 shops on a housing estate somewhere then one would likely be a Dewhurst's.

I recall working at their offices in a backstreet in Worc's city centre and also in Bradford St right across from the meat market gates. I hated working there as the smell & noise coming from across the road was horrible.

I remember those white plastic dividers, they appeared at the same time as the marble slabs were done away with and a new Formica window bed put in. Dewhurst's had the meat in the window displayed on shallow stainless steel trays with those plastic strips laid in between. Many of their shops in the 60's had been butchers since Victorian times and Dewhurst must have bought them out. I remember one old shop actually had a little overgrown pen for keeping animals in as in earlier times they must have killed them out there as well.
All of the old shops had a toilet outside, sometimes down a long path and I've often seen butchers pee in the sink at the back of the shop rather than go outside in the rain.
Strangely enough I've recently spotted the Dewhurst brand reappear on tinned meat products in Poundstretcher & Iceland. Someone obviously bought up the rights to use the original logo 'Dewhurst the master butcher'
I recall Dewhursts as having mirrors which looked like there was more meat. In Taylors they have a diploma and a big ceramic Hereford bull.They make their own sausages. They used to have might still have blue ones for Coventry Blaze Ice Hockey Team. I think they sponsor them. Some of the team come to shop they are either American or Canadian. I remember Baxters in town and they had a massive ceramic sitting pig outside in the day time for years then it was vandalised and replaced but it wasn't so good. We had Butcher Boy with a mechanical butcher in the window wielding a chopper. Another school friend started at Dewhurst, his initiation was to have his arms covered in aspic jelly. Grandad was the expert he said the chickens' thighs should be plump and the breast bone too, and he wouldn't buy a bird with an injury. We had loads of butchers and we shopped at a lot of them except the market. Nan said the meat was rawmy and she used to run past with me and they did pong. I recall the old butchers shops with tiles outside under the window.

I was aware of the red fluorescent tube light trick, and would avoid butchers’ shops that had them

I remember Ron who was the manager of Walter Smiths Newtown Shopping centre , plus his drinking buddy John Shakespeare who was a partner in the butchers in the round market

Decades ago when we first started fitting refrigerated shop counters they had a red fluorescent tube under the top so the meat looked fresher, I think they probably still do ?
Izzy, most have done away with the red light, in part it was a give away as to what was going on. Now they have lights with a wave length to is used on meat, fish and vegetables to make them look better. The wave length for each is different to optimize the product.
I actually saw some vegetables that looked wonderful until they turned the light off!

Izzy, most have done away with the red light, in part it was a give away as to what was going on. Now they have lights with a wave length to is used on meat, fish and vegetables to make them look better. The wave length for each is different to optimize the product.
I actually saw some vegetables that looked wonderful until they turned the light off!
Another old trick was to put their thumb on the scales when your purchase was weighed, I doubt if that was perculiar to butchers alone ?

My grandad said they used to inject the chicken legs with water to make them look plump. A horrible story, mum told me during the war. They gave their meat coupons and they received some bacon that was stinking. Mum's grandad fetched someone in authority, I don't know who, to the shop, it turned out the side of bacon was maggoty and the shopkeeper had wiped it down and rinsed it with TCP. I think this was a grocery shop,not a butcher, but she sold cooked meat and all sorts.

My nice boss, there were a few of those too, not many though had food poisoning, salmonella, and his wife and daughter. It was traced back to the corner shop, who stored food on the floor with rat's droppings and grew their own lettuces on an allotment which also had rats and chickens droppings. This was was in the 80s.
I had a rotten chicken once from a butcher in Coventry. It looked OK when I bought it, then the legs where the feet were removed turned green overnight. One if Nan's neighbours was ill she said she was given pet mince instead of best mince.

Does anyone remember Bennetts Butcher Shop in Small Heath on Green Lane?
Bennetts was a pork butcher in the 1960's, near the corner of Blake lane by the CO OP. On the left was Thompsons butchers, a driving school and a wool and baby shop. I lived at the wool shop from 1956 to 1967.

Bennetts was a pork butcher in the 1960's, near the corner of Blake lane by the CO OP. On the left was Thompsons butchers, a driving school and a wool and baby shop. I lived at the wool shop from 1956 to 1967.
I am most grateful for your reply! Would you know the names of any of the butchers there around 1963-1964? Maybe an apprentis?

Also, did you know the Clarksons that lived on Blake Lane? John Clarkson had a karate school.

Sorry no, I was 7 years old at that time. I phoned my mother tonight who is now in her 90's to if she could Remember any of the men who worked there but sadly no.

Do you or your mother remember a Helen Clarkson that worked at Winn’s Cafe also known as the Black and White Cafe in the mid 60s?

Helen also worked at the Custard House and The Avenue.

i am doing ancestry research and would appreciate any help at all. If you jnow someone else that might know, please point me in their direction.
Best regards, D

The only café I can recall was at the top of Blake lane, the Green Lane end. It was by the entry to the back of my house and Smalls engineering. I have taken a snapshot from google earth. I am reasonably sure it was the white building in the picture.
I recall a woman who lived there she had black hair, I was only 6 at that time and never knew her. My parents can't recall either. I think the café was next to or by a fish and chip shop around 1963. Unfortunately the only people we knew from that area and era died two some years ago. The buildings on the left of the picture are the rear of the former CO OP Bennett's and Thompsons butchers, Where I lived is just out of view. Sorry that's about all I can remember. The Custard house is on the opposite side of the road to the right of the picture down the hill of Blake lane.

Attachments

• blake lane.png
    blake lane.png
    910.5 KB · Views: 20
Y
The only café I can recall was at the top of Blake lane, the Green Lane end. It was by the entry to the back of my house and Smalls engineering. I have taken a snapshot from google earth. I am reasonably sure it was the white building in the picture.
I recall a woman who lived there she had black hair, I was only 6 at that time and never knew her. My parents can't recall either. I think the café was next to or by a fish and chip shop around 1963. Unfortunately the only people we knew from that area and era died two some years ago. The buildings on the left of the picture are the rear of the former CO OP Bennett's and Thompsons butchers, Where I lived is just out of view. Sorry that's about all I can remember. The Custard house is on the opposite side of the road to the right of the picture down the hill of Blake lane.
You are spot on with this info and the pic is where my friend was born.
is there a way we could do this in messenger? Are you on Facebook?
I have more I’d like to ask but feel I should do it one on one.

A couple of adverts... June 1939 Butcher’s Youth wanted, able to Drive, Rowbotham, 137 Bordesley Green Road

January 1941 Butcher's Manager wanted J. Rowbotham, 99A Lozells Road.
Hi,
Sorry, I have only just spotted your two posts. Can you tell me where you found the two Rowbotham adverts? I'd love to see copies. Thanks.

Hi,
Sorry, I have only just spotted your two posts. Can you tell me where you found the two Rowbotham adverts? I'd love to see copies. Thanks.
i am sure that if pedrocut spots this post he could post the adverts for you

lyn

My grandfather (Peter Hughes) and great-Grandfather (William 'Billy' Hughes) ran a butcher's shop, I believe in Handsworth, called 'Hughes and Son', from the early/mid 1920s, with Peter taking it on in the 1950s. My grandfather, Peter, went to work as a meat inspector, and then went back to running the shop - the shop had a large pair of bull's horns over the window at the front. If anyone has any memories or information about the shop or Peter and/or Bill, I'd be delighted to have a conversation!

My grandfather (Peter Hughes) and great-Grandfather (William 'Billy' Hughes) ran a butcher's shop, I believe in Handsworth, called 'Hughes and Son', from the early/mid 1920s, with Peter taking it on in the 1950s. My grandfather, Peter, went to work as a meat inspector, and then went back to running the shop - the shop had a large pair of bull's horns over the window at the front. If anyone has any memories or information about the shop or Peter and/or Bill, I'd be delighted to have a conversation!
Welcome to the Forum, enjoy!
I lived in Handsworth, do you have an address or street name?

This is it! Wonderful stuff, thank you both! I had the names at the back of my mind, but couldn't quite get there and had contacted my father for further information! 246 Winson Green and 103 Booth Street are correct. I believe they sold Winson Green in the late 1940s/1950s as the oldest son, who was going to inherit it, was killed in WW2. Could be wrong about that, though!

Hi all, I only started in the mid 80s,so a bit later than most on here, but even then I remember butchers shops were everywhere, now there as rare as anything, proper carcass butchers will become a rare breed in the near future, I started off in chelmsley wood, there must of been 15 butchers with a few square miles, but unfortunately like most places I think there's only a couple now, they were happy days

Back