• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham butchers retail.

I worked for a butcher called "Steel"in the early 60s,the address was mickleton avenue,sheldon,part of a parade of shops.I believe the whole parade has been demolished.Mr Steel (owner)had two shops,but i cant remember where the other one was.The managers name was Dennis.

My mate Paul,16,also worked at a butchers.Name and address was COX BUTCHERS, Spring road,Tyseley.Early 1960s...Now gone.

My grandmothers marriage certificate has her father recorded as: John Henry Willetts, ( butcher, deceased)
Searching the newspaper archives yesterday with his surname hoping to find an ad for Willetts butchers was
unsuccessful, maybe he was an employee?
I did however find his cause of death.

Erdington News 22nd April 1916

Erdington News 22 april 1916.png

Medicine about thirty years late to save him. Sadly his daughter, my grandmother died at the same age ( 34 ) from
cancer.

My father Kit Taylor has recently passed away. Not sure whether anyone knew or worked for him in the 80s 90s? He had over 20 butchers shops in the Midlands. My grandad Roy Taylor also had around 15 butchers shops 60s 70s.

our butcher was len pritchard had his shop in george st just off villa st lozells...his son colin then went into the business...

lyn
Seeing butchers mentioned in another thread reminded me of Len. He used to call my mom ‘Isobel’. I think that he must have had a pet name for all of his customers!

One of his sayings was “God sends the butchers and the Devil sends the cooks”

My father Kit Taylor has recently passed away. Not sure whether anyone knew or worked for him in the 80s 90s? He had over 20 butchers shops in the Midlands. My grandad Roy Taylor also had around 15 butchers shops 60s 70s.
We have John Taylor in Coventry, there used to be his cousin Alan Taylor & a relative in Balsall Common I think is still there.

If anyone is looking for a good butcher I highly recommend Robert Tuckey at Furnace End near Coleshill. They slaughter local beasts on the premises and the meat is aged beautifully. Their sausages are the finest I’ve ever eaten, their bacon (which they smoke themselves) is just as good, they render their own beef and pork fat for cooking, they often have mutton and even goat available…blimey, I’m getting hungry writing this. Anyway, it’s a REAL butchers and has been there since 1970, apparently.
IMG_9500.jpeg

If anyone is looking for a good butcher I highly recommend Robert Tuckey at Furnace End near Coleshill. They slaughter local beasts on the premises and the meat is aged beautifully. Their sausages are the finest I’ve ever eaten, their bacon (which they smoke themselves) is just as good, they render their own beef and pork fat for cooking, they often have mutton and even goat available…blimey, I’m getting hungry writing this. Anyway, it’s a REAL butchers and has been there since 1970, apparently.
View attachment 187098
We had a Tuckey too The Real Meat Company who closed recently, and we also had Putnam, Hillier, Dewhurst and the Co Op, in my area. Just Taylor now. But it was like that here. Sadly not now. Taylors have old photos projected on the shop interiors from yesteryear with rows of game etc and huge meat filled windows and with John Taylor when he was a young lad. I will be stood standing outside queuing for our pre ordered Christmas fowl shortly.

We had a Tuckey too The Real Meat Company who closed recently, and we also had Putnam, Hillier, Dewhurst and the Co Op, in my area. Just Taylor now. But it was like that here. Sadly not now. Taylors have old photos projected on the shop interiors from yesteryear with rows of game etc and huge meat filled windows and with John Taylor when he was a young lad. I will be stood standing outside queuing for our pre ordered Christmas fowl shortly.
I began using Robert Tuckey several years ago because I got so fed up with the rubbish I was getting at supermarkets. Beef, lamb and pork that tasted of very little, flavourless chicken that was full of water, bacon that shrivelled away to nothing in the pan and sausages that seemed to be made from fat, ears and sawdust. I couldn’t believe how much better good meat tastes, real butchers are worth their weight in gold.

I so agree . I am agreeing with Godber, not myself!

View attachment 187098
We have been using Tuckeys for a few years now - not the cheapest but you pay for quality. Their meat is superb, they will always find you a bone or two for the dogs, Mrs Tuckey will tell you how to cook it and Mr Tuckey (bless him!!!) will sell you anything!!! Well into his eighties now but still hard at work, immaculately dressed, lovely man!

BCLM-02-Marsh-Baxters-circia-1950s-60s-Medium-1024x732.jpg
.1703065624439.png1703065588114.png
Marsh & Baxters circia,1950s-60s, BCLM Collection.

Hi,

Does anyone remember Aston's Buchers on the corner of Station Road and Lyndon Road Stechford?

Sawdust on the floor, and the door to the shop had a slot at either side of the doorframe,
into which they could hook the legs of a full carcase to split it in half.

A real old fashioned shop.

Kind regards and Seasons Greetings

Dave

Back