• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

The Central Bus station formed the centre of Paradise Circus and was covered by the Library and other buildings. The Council's version of Ground Zero which destroyed those structures also removed all traces of the intended bus station. As stated the space generally lay vacant although some hotel development did take over part of the ground.

As bus design was changing, those that planned the bus station should perhaps have been more far sighted. It was in a convenient spot for a bus station and perhaps may well have improved travelling by bus in the city.

Busses

I Used To Go To Icknield Stret Hockley Brook On The Bus,s
Around On The No,8 From Aston Cross In Rocky Lane
We Was So Poor Mom Got A Load Of Plastic Tokens From The Education Dept , Some Was Grren And Some Was Red Ones
And They Was Thevalue Of 1 Penny Other Wise We Couldnt Get To School And Also Old Man Kitchener Wouldappearat The Front Door
Asking Why Ain,t We Are In School
Blimy They Was The Days
Diid Any Body Else Get These Tokens ,? .
Best Wishes Astonian ,;;
Yes we were also given the tokens to go swimming.

Yes we were also given the tokens to go swimming.
Yes...we had some green and red tokens given to us by the school........the school somehow got involved in Irish dancing and there were various journeys to other schools...... one was St Catherines in the Horse Fair...... so our school gave us all tokens for the fares to get there......... goodness...those plastic tokens were quite a memorable thing of those past days....

thanks lloyd..i never needed the bus tokens simply because all of my schools were within walking distance but i knew some school friends who did require them

lyn

bus tokens ...i remember we had them. to pay for the bus fare to the school clinic,for sunlight treatment or to see the dreaded nurse.:(

I can remember being provided with bus tokens in order to attend metalwork classes. We didn’t have a workshop at Harry Lucas, and so were sent to Gem st, and then later, Warren Farm Road school.

When I was a schoolboy the tokens were available if we had to use buses to get to school. I needed to use two buses on the journey to and from Handsworth Tech so received lots of tokens ...

I'm now jealous. I was at Handsworth Tech. 1945 - 1946, travelling from Salford Bridge to top of Villa Road on the tram and never had any tokens !! Do you think I can claim my tram fares back and to whom should I apply ???

My mom tried to get tokens for me to go from St Wilfreds Hodge Hill to St Wilfred Martineau 3 buses 56 Castle Brom to Fox then the 11 then the 14 , but she could not get them as journey was not long enough as they calculated as the Crow flys, so had to go to Hodge Hill Comp, and to this day never seen or met any of my class mates since i left 52 years ago

I'm now jealous. I was at Handsworth Tech. 1945 - 1946, travelling from Salford Bridge to top of Villa Road on the tram and never had any tokens !! Do you think I can claim my tram fares back and to whom should I apply ???
Thinking back I remember that my Mom used to give me the tokens before I set off to school but I can’t remember where she got them from. I suppose BCT issued them to the schools or maybe directly to families.

I can remember being provided with bus tokens in order to attend metalwork classes. We didn’t have a workshop at Harry Lucas, and so were sent to Gem st, and then later, Warren Farm Road school.
I too went to Gem st for metalwork (1963). I caught the number eight bus from Icknield st to Congreve st and then walked to Gem st. I seem to remember using plastic tokens a lot.

I went to George Dixon Grammar School which was split at that time between City Road and Five Ways. I used to collect the red 1d tokens from the school secretary if I needed to go between the two schools.

Back