• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

I had a very old Ex Birmingham police car in the 70's, it was a Wolsey 6/66, reg No, Rod 90. do you know it would be worth thousands if I had it still.
paul

I can assure you Mr grain that the car came with the old carboard log book, and was used by the Birmingham City Traffic Patrol, I owned the car in the mid 70's and purchased it in Cambridge, the first registration stamp was Birmingham.
paul

A very interesting website is The Chiltern Vehicle Preservation Group which can be found on https://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf It gives a lot of information on vehicle registrations. If you scroll down several pages you will find where all registrations were issued including the Birmingham "O" also the Birmingham "VP". It is in Adobe format and can be printed off if required. I came across it yesterday.
Regards, Roverman

Really Bernie :cool: I bet he was rushing back to the garage the way he`s driving that bus
around the island :)............ ragga :)

It's a wonder there is no smoke coming off the rear nearside tyre as the wheelarch must be in contact with it!

Apparently Michael says the worst of all was a three bell load out of town at rush hour. On the 56 turning left at the gate Saltley to go up Washwood Heath Road, trying to make up time. When the bus banked over and the front offside wheel used to catch on the wheel arch which was of course inside the drivers cab. Scary eh!!

Wendy. Only topped by 3 bell load at rush hour round Lancaster Circus on the 14,55,26 with the platform on fleetlines making contact with the road.

I can remember the rear wheels of the Guy standards rubbing the wheelarches, cornering flat out with the engine roar hardly reduced by the 'straight through' silencers they had!

Thanks for that Lloyd, that's another place to visit on the list for mom and dad - think I will have to give up work to fit all the places in lol
Sue

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ............ what is a 3 bell load ??
ragga :confused2:

OK, conductors signals to driver, using bells:
1 ring - stop at next stop.
2 rings - Safe to proceed (go).
3 rings - Full up, don't stop to pick up passengers (until some get off).
4 rings - There's a problem - stop NOW. (Between stops if necessary).

I'll make a busman of you yet, ragga!

cartoon_bus_driver_CoolClips_cart0262.jpg

Back