• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

Was that the first driver only bus (1966 reg) or is that a clippie standing just behind him.
paul

The "Pay as you enter" sign confirms it as being converted for OMO, it does look rather like a clippie behind but might just be a passenger in a dark coat.

This is a route i cannot remember travelling on . ragga :)

36 service was introduced 21/9/1936:

[FONT=&quot]City (Station St) via Dudley St, Pershore St, Bromsgrove St, Moat Row, Bradford St, Camp Hill, Stratford Rd, Formans Rd, Reddings Lane, Olton Boulevard West, Tynedale Rd, Knights Rd, Tyseley Mill Rd, Wharfdale Rd, Kings Rd, Coventry Rd, Berkeley Rd East, Millhouse Rd, Wash Lane and Richmond Rd to Stechford (Five Ways).

Later (1958) curtailled to Sparkbrook - Stechford only.

A nice view of brand new AEC Swift 3663 at Tyseley Station. This bus survives, and is nearing a lengthy restoration, being owned by several members of the Aston Manor Transport Museum.
[/FONT]

Probably the wrong place but at Robin Hood Island was P A Hopkins a long time seller of Bicycles.

Sign of getting old :( of course its Cotteridge , thank you M Humphreys i just dont know
why i saw as Selly oak :redface: .............. ragga :)

Can't believe a Gardner would ever break down, must have been the Wilson/Leyland semi auto box. No doubt if I'm wrong more knowledgeable members will put me on the right track. I used to recon the 6lw Gardners ex wolverhampton Corporation Transport and the state they used to arrive(but still running until removal) would amaze you.

Can't believe a Gardner would ever break down, must have been the Wilson/Leyland semi auto box. No doubt if I'm wrong more knowledgeable members will put me on the right track. I used to recon the 6lw Gardners ex wolverhampton Corporation Transport and the state they used to arrive(but still running until removal) would amaze you.

Stands a good chance the engine was fine. Even back when this fine photo was taken it was common practice to open the bonnet to to let other road users know the bus had broke down. Before rear engines, we used to prop a seat cushion up the back of the bus for the same reason.

Close examination shows a watering can and a broom by the front entrance. Could be a "vomit" that needed cleaning, although usually they just swapped buses and the dirty one went back to garage for attention.
Could have been overheating (but why the broom?). As Mike says, the bonnet up (and the seat cushion on older buses) was to tell Mr Motorist not to wait behind the bus, or they'd be there a long time!
Some still did though, and blew their horns!!

Used the seat squab idea quite a few times when I worked for Stocklands, usually on the Fords when the engine seized. I left a seat squab at the back of a Bedford Val when the diff seized on the A38 outside Gloucester many years ago, when we went back to tow it in someone had pinched the squab.

Used the seat squab idea quite a few times when I worked for Stocklands, usually on the Fords when the engine seized. I left a seat squab at the back of a Bedford Val when the diff seized on the A38 outside Gloucester many years ago, when we went back to tow it in someone had pinched the squab.

They be a dodgy lot down the old A38 lol. A couple of times after my bus was fixed I drove off and left the seat behind in one man days on the Midland Red. Fortunately both times I picked it up off the side of the road on the way back.

In todays Sunday Telegraph there is a report that next weeks Gardeners' Question Time will come from Cutnall Green in Worcestershire which will be standing in for the fictional village of Ambridge from the Archers radio soap. This may be a known photo but in the article there is a small photo of what is alledged to be the Bull pub at Ambridge and outside is a Birmingham standard Guy with service no. 1 destination Ambridge.

I like them very much thank you ragga -

Leyland single decker 2249 after conversion to one man operation (where the driver had to swivel round in his seat to collect the fares!) at Cotteridge, probably on the Pool farm 4 service.

Daimler 1782 at the end of its life, withdrawn in 1963 and sold to Bird's scrapyard, Stratford in 1964. The forecourt of their Birmingham Road premises, by the look of it.

Fleetline 3484 climbing Collingwood Drive, Pheasey, away from the Queslett Rd at the Trees Pub.

Back