• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham buses

Sorry Chris this is why i am useless with a camera i,ve taken a lot of aerial photos today i,ll sort a better one out. Dek

It's Arthur St tram & trolleybus depot - perhaps better known as Coventry Road Garage. Love the ghost shapes of the old terraced houses (or was it just outbuildings?) on the end wall!

Well done Lloyd to easy for you i was hoping you wouldn,t see it too early. i,m 20 stories up on the roof Dek

From 1958 until 1963 the Coventry Road resident snowplough was always parked at the Arthur Street end of the open yard with the platform facing the wire mesh fence. The bus was 1133, (CVP 233) which was one of the Daimler COG4s fitted with an English Electric body intended for Manchester. The bus was one of the 42 prepared for re-entry into service in 1957 prior to the Corporation's take over of the Midland Red services along College Road and Walsall Road. Unfortunately on inspection after being overhauled, 1133 was discovered to have a badly cracked chassis and thus was retained only as a snowplough. Ironically enough it outlived the other 41 COG5s which all went at the emd of 1960

Re: Bus registrations

Just adding a photo of my wifes grandfather, Arthur Whiston, working 'on the buses' in Brum, but sadly no idea of the year involved though probably post war. I'm guessing someone may know more about the garage name on the sign? Kindest regards, Fairport

View attachment 54518

Have reduced photo size just in case it's too large. Have just searched web and I believe there was a Rosebery Street garage? Regards, Fairport

"Just adding a photo of my wifes grandfather, Arthur Whiston, working 'on the buses' in Brum, but sadly no idea of the year involved though probably post war. I'm guessing someone may know more about the garage name on the sign?"

View attachment 54520

Cheers Mike. I always think the sepia tone adds something to old photos, and even better when it includes a family member as well as a bit of nostalgia.

Love your steam photos by the way. First class.

We lived close to the West Somerset Railway steam line for many years which is a beautiful inland and coastal line if you get chance to visit, especially around the Dunster/Minehead section. The starting point of Bishops Lydeard is great for classic & vintage car meetings as well as their vintage bus collection..... their next vintage steam and vehicle weekend is the 7th & 8th August, admission includes free vintage bus links from Taunton railway station https://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/Latest_news.html

Kindest regards,

Fairport

I remember seeing a bus in the 60's spinning down the hill past St Martins in the snow and ice. Was that you Mr Martin?

I like to see references to the old BCT transport, probably due to the fact that my late father worked for them for approx 40 years. he started as a conductor in the early 1930's, eventually becoming a driver then an inspector. His base was Selly Oak and then Harbourne working the 11 route. He retired in 1972 working out of Miller Street as a plain clothes inspector ( or a grasser of workmates as my brother called him).
As you noted I am something of a steam buff and I have visited the WSR quite a few times for their Spring Steam galas. I went digital in 2007 so all my pics of that line are prior to that date are on film. I will have to scan them one day.

We were still using the Bristol VR's and open top Fleetline (i think) here in West Cornwall until a couple of years ago, all with the Gardner engine and semi auto Leyland/Wilson box.

We are still using a Bristol VR on open top services in North Wales. I remember the mk 1 Nationals well, especially the spring ON parking brake, you only had to look at it to stand the bus on it's nose. The D9 was probably the best bus built, but the low floor Dennis Dart takes some beating as a drivers bus.

Back