• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: Birmingham Buses Route by Route 1925-1975

Simon4130

master brummie
I finally got my copy of this last weekend. It covers the history of the bus services then explores each route and the buses that served on them starting from 1 upwards. Lots of photos both colour and black and white from all around the city. While it concentrates mainly on Birmingham CT it also covers the Midland Red and Harper Bros routes plus others that operated into the city. This is mainly a book for bus enthusiasts but the photos also show how much the streets and suburbs have changed as well so this might give it wider appeal. I got my copy in Ian Allan (Ethel Street) but would imaging all good bookshops will have copies. Retails at £24.99 but it is hardback with 176 pages and a very large amount of photos mostly in colour so I wouldn't regard it as overpriced.

Simon

I remember going up town on a number 50 bus and it turned off down Salisbury Rd in Moseley...everyone shouting at the driver "you have gone the wrong way"....he stopped the bus and shouted back "its my first day on the 50 after 10 years on the number 48" which as lots will know did go down Salisbury Rd. We had to go right down to Cannon Hill Park roundabout and back up with a great big cheer from everyone as we got back into Moseley Village.

Simon, my grandad was a bus driver, will have to look at the book and see if his route was in it, can't remember which route he used to drive, but we still have his log book, will get it out and look. I know he also drove coaches to London occasionally too. Sadly he died young of TB in 1943.
Sue

in my younger days Birmingham must had one of the best services in the country. Everyone must remember the Inner Circle 8, Outter Circle 11, we used the 13A to Yardley Wood, 24
to Warstock.Then in my courting days it was the 14,A,B,C to Glebe
Farm.We were very lucky to have such a brilliant bus service.
Bernard

Loved the 11 Outer Circle, i trained at Selly Oak, we had placements at the QE and my great aunts lived on the outer circle route at Stetchford, so it was a familiar route for me. A group of us rode it all the way round on a rare day off together, great fun!
Sue

Ive just viewed this book on ebay for £20.69p gonna tell the wife in the morning i must have it.
ragga ................

I agree Bernard (#6). If I remember rightly, during the peak period there was a bus from the Maypole every six minutes.
It was quite normal to see, during one of our Brummagem fogs, the conductor walking in the road, holding his waybill behind him for the driver to follow. No matter what the weather the buses would battle through.

lop.jpeg
I saw a few posts about the length of the outer circle 11 route and I have come across this while looking for something else. I can not remember which thread the discussion was on or the distances mentioned and I suppose over the years the route was altered so the distance of 25 miles may not be what people remember.

I remember catching the no 11 in Handsworth and going to see my cousin in Barford Road in Ladywood and then i would go on to Bearwood where my sister lived ,that would be about 1964,I was aged 12yrs. :pride: Lizzie

Didn't BRMB walk the fun run round the Outer Circle route a few years ago - in fact a lot of years ago, thinking about it, I was still training and on duty so I couldn't do it!!
Sue

Had to go to Specsavers last weeks, was told not drive as I may need drops in, my neighbour took me there and I came back on the bus, oh! what a journey, more like a conducted a tour of Derby.Those halcyon, good word, days of the old BCT must have spoilt me, stick to my little Clio has long as I can. Bernard

Sounds a bit like going from Tamworth to Burton on the bus Bernard, stops at every blade of grass on the way!!
Hope you got on ok at Specsavers
Sue

6018. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I didnt know of its existence, but is now top of my Christmas wish list. Looks very interesting.

I remember in the 40s and 50s the 17a and 17b one stopped outside our house on Moat Lane Yardley. John Crump Oldbrit.Parker, co USA

Used to take my children for a day out on the No 11.
I used to pack sandwiches, cake and pop then walk down to the 11 and catch the next one, whichever direction. We used to try and get the front seats and picnicked all the way round. I used to tell them all my old memories of the different places, one of the better memories from their childhood.
They laugh about it now but in a sweet, nostalgic way, now they're older they realise that, as we had very little money to spare, most of their 'summer holiday' trips were free so this one was an 'expensive' one!!!

Back