• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Buses Part 2

Enjoyed your latest photo's Ragga, particularly 2956 which I travelled on many times when it was at Selly Oak.
Shame about the disfigurement brought about by the West Midlands PTE changes.

Great photos again Ragga. The first one looks like it was taken from a height maybe from the Town Hall. Such a completely different scene from today with BCT "standards" heading up New Street and the now demolished Galloway's Corner still open for business.

Simon

Most of these locations I can identify

1. Bearwood Bus Station
2. Don't know this one
3. Hagley Road West between Wolverhampton Road and Lightwoods Park
4. Hill Street passsing New Street Station (No. 9 was extended to Stourbridge taking in the 130)
5. High Street just past juntion with New Street

Picture #2: I would hazard a guess that the bus has crossed Priory Road heading into town. The block of flats is actually "The Wicket Towers" located Priory Road/Pershore Road.

44.jpg

Where on the 44 route would this have been taken ?
I imagine somewhere around Greet , can someone confirm this ?
thanks in advance . ragga :fat:

Definatly the Warwick Road Greet Ragga, just down from Percy Road towards Acocks Green, looks like the driver is putting two fingers up to the photographer.

Noticing the vehicle about to pass the bus I see it has Lawleys ownership. I wonder of this was the Lawleys who (maybe still do) have shops selling chinaware and glass?

Now that is quite interesting John. I did think of it as a bakers delivery van when I fist saw it. But you must remember I have not lived in central England for sixty years. lol

The van is a Bedford O-type but the registration is not readable. The BCT bus is of course a Crossley DD42.

Simon

Hi Ragga, information from my Father-in-Law who grew up in Percy Road as follows:

Offices on the left hand side are part of Serck Radiator company, gap between houses on right hand side, where the Wall's sign is, is the start of Colebrook Road. The van behind the bus is a Hawley's Bakery van. The yellow wall sign at the top of the photo is the start of Albion Road. In the distance to the left of the back of the bus is Greet J&I School. Also the green colored building which juts out from houses on the right is St. Bedes Church. The building behind St. Bedes was occupied by a blacksmith. Sometimes from the classroom adjacent to Warwick Road we could see a display of sparks as the smithy " worked " his hot metal .
I hope that this information is helpful, do you have any information on the date of the picture which we think late 1950's / early 1960's or the photographer ?
Rob.

Yes it was owned by John, Bill (what ever happened to him?), the present owner has a smal collection that nothing happens to. That pic taken (probably in the John Berry days by the surounding cars) at Bridgnorth station of the Severn Valley Railway - note the pedestrian bridge to High Town behind.

Yes it was owned by John, Bill (what ever happened to him?), the present owner has a smal collection that nothing happens to. That pic taken (probably in the John Berry days by the surounding cars) at Bridgnorth station of the Severn Valley Railway - note the pedestrian bridge to High Town behind.

Aye up lloyd,

thanks for confirming that, I was 99% sure it was the bus John had, but I really bad at remembering numbers! I lost contact with John, you know that happens you get a small nucleus of people with similar interests then slowly we find other interests and projects, I think mine was courting! I believe John went to Spain and is probably still there.
Im pleased to hear the bus still exists but what a shame if its just being left to rot! It was in lovely condition when I knew it and it had recieved a complete repaint at Bewdley on the SVR by the chap who, ot that time, painted the rolling stock, so it was a good job well done. We went all ove the place it JOJ 255 attending various rallies as you no doubt remember with 1107? Three or four of used to shared the Fuel costs and away we went flat out at about 40MPH and faster down inclines in neutral!
It should have won a few awards but I dont think it did probably because it was a bus from north of Watford and not a green or red one from the South, oh I sound so bitter and twisted :) But this was early 70s
Thanks again lloyd and hope to see you around at some point , Cheers Bill

I

133.jpg134.jpg

Sorry 2 more sad photos ..... first one Washwood Heath i imagine ........2nd unsure .
ragga:fat:

135.jpg136.jpg137.jpg139.jpg138.jpg

Buses in better times .
No1 top of digbeth , No2 Baldwin terminus , No3 Digbeth i think , No4 Colmore row , No5 Quinton garage .
ragga :fat:

Hallo Ragga, picture 3 could be Bristol Street as the middle bus appears to have a fleet no beginning in 6 so could be 61, 62 or 63. The tall building in the mist behind the buses could be the clue.

Possible Novelty but , that building in the mist looks like Digbeth police station to me .
and could that No6 be a radleys bus No 68 ??

re picture 2 on 139 Washwood Heath for sure... is second part of another picture of retired buses. I'll dig the first part up. Clue us 2150 in this picture also other..which is now attached

Attachments

• JOJ 150-L.jpg
    JOJ 150-L.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 50
Picture number 3 is definitely Digbeth facing north. The building on the right is the Police Station.

12.jpg15.jpg14.jpg

Surely we all remember these mobile advents around on our buses !!

No1 Fox hollies .
No2 Hagley road .
No 3 Unsure possibilties around Hall Green ?

Actually no. 2 is Harborne Road approaching Five Ways. Nearly right Ragga. The buildings you see behind the back of the bus have now gone but the buildings you see in front of the bus are still there.

Back