• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Buses Part 2

Does anyone know what number bus would need to have been caught from Birmingham City Centre to get to Birdbrook Road in Kingstanding in the early 1960s? (I know strange question, but would like to include this detail in a book/memoir I'm writing).

In the early1960s I would have used either the 29 or 29a or 33 and got off at the junction of Goodway Road and Kingstanding Road and walked down to Birdbrook Road. Others might have done it differently
Image1.jpg

Last edited:
In the early1960s I would have used either the 29 or 29a or 33 and got off at the junction of Goodway Road and Kingstanding Road and walked down to Birdbrook Road. Others might have done it differently
View attachment 173880
Brilliant thank you!! ....yes No 33, that rings a bell, and I remember Goodway Road well - quite a long walk for a small child!! Thank you so much, very grateful.

Thank you so much, it's wider than I remember it, thought I think I'm right in saying the houses in Goodway Road were better class than the ones my Nan lived in in Birdbrook Road (she lived at 103).
If you search for Birdbrook in the forum search there are lots of posts with comments about it ..... Here is a post (not about Birdbrook Rd but does show it) and I think your Nan's house is probably in the aerial view. See Goodway Rd running down from Kingstanding Rd click pic twice and it enlarges it or save it
I played in those sandpits as a child and knew them well.
An aerial view of the area dated 1938
index.php

from 'britainfromabove' EPW059310 ENGLAND (1938)

and if you haven't already seen it, here is a modern view of your Nan's house ... red car.
103 Birdbrook.jpg

View attachment 83729View attachment 83730View attachment 83731View attachment 83732View attachment 83733

No 1 location unsure maybe King Heath ?
No 2 Lancaster Circus ?
No 3 Around Snow Hill ?
No 4 Digbeth .
No 5 Unsure possible High st/Dale end.
ragga :unconscious:
Hi Ragga, Started reading this thread earlier, absolute amazing. Lots of the buses bring back fond memories. I must mention #183, would you know if the corner of the road is the top end of Coleshill Street with Stafford Street. I can't quite get my bearings, I lived a few minutes walk from the Indian restaurant. Thank you so much for all the pics, brilliant. Thanks too for other members and their contributions. Will get back to reading the rest of the thread now.
If ever you have any pics of the 56 or 55 that ran down Coleshill Street, I would be over the moon.

Kind regards, Sue

If you search for Birdbrook in the forum search there are lots of posts with comments about it ..... Here is a post (not about Birdbrook Rd but does show it) and I think your Nan's house is probably in the aerial view. See Goodway Rd running down from Kingstanding Rd click pic twice and it enlarges it or save it

and if you haven't already seen it, here is a modern view of your Nan's house ... red car.
View attachment 173896
Awww wow !!! Thank you SO much (quite emotional for me to see that!). Very different to how it was back in the day.....I wonder if the little shop is still there just to the left. Gosh, I must pass this on to my Uncle who was born and bred in that house!!

Back