• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Bus routes 1969

The routes are as I remember them about 10 or so years later.

Also reminds me that until I did the Walkathon whilst I was at school in the 80s there was so many places in Birmingham I'd never been to or even heard of. Some places like Kingstanding and Moseley were even later and I don't think I've been to Bearwood even now.

MWS,

Isn't that just the case. It reminds me of when I helped out a London band, who'd temporarily lost their pianist, at a gig in Blandford Forum - he was judging an accordion competition - in the late 1950s. When I started talking about various places in the West End, they were lost! They actually came from Romford and generally only worked in the Romford / Ilford area, and like many from outer London at that time simply didn't go into the West End. They were only in Blandford because they'd all been in the Royal Signals camp there and agreed to put on a dance for the town before they got demobbed. And here was a Brummie telling them about the West End! :)

But in the days before I had a car, I knew parts of Aston (I was born there), Sparkhill / Moseley / Hall Green and Kings Heath, where I had lived, and the Lickeys & the city centre, of course! I'd been around the Outer Circle many times as a kid, but most of the time I hadn't a clue where I was! :cool:

Maurice

I remember the #90 being the #29 route - used to go from the Pheasey into Town. Don’t understand why the number was changed. But I notice there’s a short section for the #29 on the map just below ‘Kingstanding’. This seems to go nowhere else. Strange. Viv.

I think the #90 was the 29A before the #90 became the "to City" & "from City". The #29 was always to Highfield Road - not 'The Baldwin'.
To me it will always be 29A. There is a good book by David Harvey 'Across Birmingham on the 29A'.

Yes, the famous 29A - it has to be famous as the only other routes that have books about them, apart from those mentioned in the David Harvey Bus Routes, route by route 1925 - 1975, are those about the Inner Circle 8 and Outer Circle 11. I have never seen one about the City Circle 19 although but it did travel around much of the older interesting industrial parts of town. The tram route to The Lickeys 70, has a book as well.
I notice the newer route changes in the 1969 map gearing up for the infamous PTE I guess.

To me it will always be 'famous' many happy hours (in school hols) riding what was then the longest BCT route.

Attachments

• BCT 29a - Route.jpg
    BCT 29a - Route.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 39
Thanks Nigel. Just had a look at the sample of the book on Kindle and it even mentions Bywaters on the Kingstanding Road where my mum worked. One image shows Bywaters and Kirtons newsagents, both of which were very familiar to me. Not only did I regularly use the 29 bus route, but sometimes the #33. If using the #33 I had to get off by Bywaters as I think it veered off at this point down Warren Farm Road. It also meant a longer walk home. I also regularly used the #28 for school (to Short Heath) and on the way back would get off at Kirtons near Dyas Road.

So frequent trips into Kirtons (or to visit Mum in Bywaters) were the norm for me in the 1960s. Funny looking back at how the choice of bus routes at the Kingstanding Road/Hawthorn Road/ Dyas Road/Warren Farm Road played such an important part in my life living in Kingstanding. Think I must have had some sort of bus pass too (maybe as a student) as I remember doing a fair bit of bus hopping to avoid walking !

Viv.

Back