• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Boys Clubs

bobsummers

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
I tried to find a thread that I could write about my early teenage years when I went to Carnegie Boys Club in Moseley Village. I say Boys Clubs but we used to invite girls in every week to a dance night, what great times I had there, Table Tennis, Billiards & Snooker. We use to go away on Camping weekends and had football teams, I made a lot of friends at the "Carnegie Club" and still know plenty of people from those times. I will have to find some photos!!

There where some great "Boys Clubs" in Birmingham where did you go?

Where there any Girls clubs in Brum or did they rely on the boys clubs?

I used to go to St Mark's boys club, which was situated next to St Mark's church at the top of Bleak Hill Road, Stockland Green Erdington. Think it was around 1965/66/67 that I went there. The club was run by the vicar, but we saw more of an old guy who we used to call Gaffer. We had a couple of snooker and tennis tables, and a stage where we would muck around and wrestle. Gaffer used to run the cricket and football teams, and we were quite strong in both, pulling in older kids from Stockland Green school and Marsh Hill tech.

We used to have a disco on Sunday nights, and girls were invited. The girls all used to sit on chairs round the edge of the hall and we would carry on playing snooker and table tennis, whilst Rolling Stone records like Get Off My Cloud would beat out from the Dansette.

Gret memories and great days.

Shoe shining boys of the Boys Club at Dale End YMCA raising funds for their club. Viv.

1EFA9E70-CB73-4A5A-9E28-0E5426D30C9B.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Back