• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham boxers?

Johny prescott the boxer came from nechells and he started his training
at the trees pub up stairs and then he moved to the colledge arms
spring hill i,ve known johny for years he made some money from boxing and openend a couple of betting shops around aston and as the years rolled on he went into the steel busines he had a big yard down on victoria rd just pass the swan pub for years prescott steel stock holders was the trading name a frend of ours whomi met afew months ago told me johny is not very well now he has got serious health problems astonian ,;;;;;

Hi I wonder if you could help me. I know Johnny had a brother named Tony Rankin but I've been told there was another brother that was younger. Do you know anything about him or his whereabouts would be grateful of any family information you could give me thank you

Johny prescott the boxer came from nechells and he started his training
at the trees pub up stairs and then he moved to the colledge arms
spring hill i,ve known johny for years he made some money from boxing and openend a couple of betting shops around aston and as the years rolled on he went into the steel busines he had a big yard down on victoria rd just pass the swan pub for years prescott steel stock holders was the trading name a frend of ours whomi met afew months ago told me johny is not very well now he has got serious health problems astonian ,;;;;;

Johnny used to go out with my best friend back in the early 1960s. I have been to his house once or twice when we all used to go about together. Sorry to hear that he is not well now.

Judy

hi I would be really grateful if you could help me with anything you know about Johnny's family history.I know he had a brother Tony but was there any other brothers or sisters thank you

Starr06 , if you set your profile to accept messages I will send you some info.
I can't do this on open forum because these relatives of the late Johnny Prescott are likely to be living,

John M Prescott August 1938- November 2012.R.I.P.

Last edited:
Starr06 , if you set your profile to accept messages I will send you some info.
I can't do this on open forum because these relatives of the late Johnny Prescott are likely to be living,

John M Prescott August 1938- November 2012.R.I.P.

Phi thank you so much for getting back to me I think I have set my profile to accept messages so I would be very grateful if you could send me any information you have on Johnny and his family thank you

Hi I wasn't aware that Johnny had a sister I know he had a brother Tony and I was told he had another brother that wS younger do you have any information about his sister and her whereabouts I would like to get in contact with her thank you

HI STARRO6
Yes you can restasured Johny did have a sister because she told an old friend of mine about along time ago
way back in time that that things was really bad for Johny plus i knew john way back myself
as i have not seen her and the family for years i am going to a big wedding in august
and one or two know her as well and he one friend of the old school will be there
thats where i will find out where she may be contacted best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

Alan, I have searched all records available and found no sister so I will be very interested if you will contact me by personal message after the wedding with her name so that I can finally find records for this lady.Thanks Alberta

Last edited:
Alberta Johnny only had a brother Anthony ( Tony ) Tony lived in William Henry street and Johnny lived in Burlington street Aston all the time we knew him he never mentioned he had a sister.
There seems to be quite a few stories by people who want to be associated with Johnny but have no foundation. Is ex wife as a hairdressers called UpperCuts, I did try and get some information of her but she did not want to
know. Tony's Mom still had the name Prescott when Tony was born.

Anthony Rankins mother Emily Prescott had married Thomas Rankin in the year before his birth they later had another son Alan.
We cannot discuss this any further because it infringes forum rules on living people,Alberta

Last edited:
Hi I'm still confused about the sister as I'm sure there isn't one. Johnny definitely had the two brothers. I've been told a few stories about their up bringing and i just wanted to learn more about their parents and what happened to them. I feel proud when I hear people talk about Johnny and how well liked and respected he was, but very saddened that we was not able to be involved with him from a young age. If you could help me and give me any information on the parents as they're not living I would be really grateful there are just a few answers I would like to hear for peace of mind thank you

I've been given some photo's that my late dad had, as he was a keen boxing fan the photo's I have are of boxers.
Does anyone know who they are:

Roy Baird & Ray Corbett ring any bells (pardon the pun)?
I think their promotor was Al Lawley and the address on the photo's is 267 Icknield Port Road, B'ham 16.
My uncle Jimmy Vennell by all accounts was a brilliant boxer in his day...was born in Holliday st ladywood would anyone have heard of him please or any photos?

My uncle was Johnny Mann and he was a Birmingham boxer. He did very well from what I know and judging by the birthdate above I think this could be the same person. Do you know of anyone else from the Mann family or on the boxing circle as i am trying to trace info on my family who all lived in that area. Thank you.
Hi Susan,
My Uncle, Joe Nolan, remembers your Uncle Johnny very well. Joe boxed for the Mint as an amateur when Johnny was a pro and trained by his Dad.
Joe often told me that even the light heavies and heavies in the gym wouldn't spar with Johnny as he was so fast and hit so hard. He was totally dedicated to boxing and would run round Edgbaston Reservoir, including one entire lap backwards, every morning.
Uncle Joe looked up to Johnny tremendously and dreamed of being a pro himself. It was when Johnny fought Sammy McCarthy, either in a non title fight or shortly before he became British Champion that Joe became disillusioned with the idea. He couldn't believe that anyone could work that hard yet be so short of the top level, ( Johnny lost on a wide decision ).
Johnny fought 5 guys who had held British titles in all, beating 2 of them so he was certainly no slouch.
When I boxed at Birmingham City back in the '80's, there was an old character who was always in the gym who used to talk about flying to Switzerland with Johnny in the late '50's. Johnny was terrified of flying and, although teetotal, was knocking back double brandys and as a consequence came in over the weight - the only time in his career.
In later life Johnny developed diabetes and died dreadfully young.
Sorry if this is all a bit late but only just seen this post.

Hi, just created an account to post this and I know I’m a bit late but I was hoping someone might have at least a shred of information.
My Dad Alan Coles was a junior boxer in Birmingham around the 60’s. I know he boxed with Wilmot Breeden Amateur Boxing Club and I’ve seen that mentioned here a few times. My Dad sadly passed away in 2008 and I was curious if anyone has any photos or knew him.

thanks

Thanks for sharing these stories. It gives me a few hints on what I need to look at to see if I can find out anything abiut my grandfather as an amateur boxer in 40s and 50s. His name is Thomas Henry Howard. My aunt remembers going on holiday some time after my grandfather died in 1960 and met his former coach who had moved into wrestling. She does not remember the coach's name and nobody in the family knows any more about my grandfather's boxing. Perhaps boxers usually trained at the club closest to where they lived? Hopefully the Midland Sporting News has been digitised and is available on the British newspaper archive. Where there any other sporting papers specifically for B'ham amateur boxers? Also did the boxes have to register with an association which may have kept with membership details? Any tips aboylut researching boxer ancestors is most appreciated.

Hi Retro Researcher,

Welcome to the Forum. I've just had a quick flip through the Online Newspapers Archive for both Thomas Henry Howard and Thomas Howard as a boxer during the 1940s & 50s, but drawn a blank. Having said that, there is little yet online after 1945. It may well be that Birmingham Archives have more material relevant to your research, but it is likely to be on microfilm or in paper format, and so would require a personal visit, though a very basic catalogue is online of about 20% of the collection here:- http://calmview.birmingham.gov.uk/CalmView/advanced.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog

As to the nitty-gritty of boxing registration, I can't help, but maybe someone else may be able to.

Maurice :cool:

Thanks sospiri, your input is very much appreciated. After speaking to my dad we reckon his boxing may have been more the 30s. I've followed your lead and check the newspapers but no joy but I will check out the B'ham archives catalogue. When life feels more normal, I will have to visit the archive and have a proper rummage.

Hi I'm still confused about the sister as I'm sure there isn't one. Johnny definitely had the two brothers. I've been told a few stories about their up bringing and i just wanted to learn more about their parents and what happened to them. I feel proud when I hear people talk about Johnny and how well liked and respected he was, but very saddened that we was not able to be involved with him from a young age. If you could help me and give me any information on the parents as they're not living I would be really grateful there are just a few answers I would like to hear for peace of mind thank you
hello - i'm new to the 'club' so i'm not too clever with it but my dad, Arthur Lees was JOC flyweight champion and his cousin was Johnny Prescott - i'm going to attach a couple of photos - one of Johnny and one of dad's mates George Pugh, who he said was 'a gud'un' i think I've already attached a couple of pics of the Lucas Boxing Team that dad trained and one of his fight cards from the 30's

Attachments

• IMG_8261.jpeg
    IMG_8261.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8260.jpeg
    IMG_8260.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
hello - i'm new to the 'club' so i'm not too clever with it but my dad, Arthur Lees was JOC flyweight champion and his cousin was Johnny Prescott - i'm going to attach a couple of photos - one of Johnny and one of dad's mates George Pugh, who he said was 'a gud'un' i think I've already attached a couple of pics of the Lucas Boxing Team that dad trained and one of his fight cards from the 30'sy ye
hello Penelope - when i was a boy i met Johnny a few times - he had a nightclub at the bottom of Snow Hill called 'The Playboy' - which was his fighting nickname - i remember that he was going out with Mandy Rice-Davies at the time of the Profumo scandal [i thought she was far more attractive than Cristine Keeler!]. I have been in Australia now for fifty years so i didn't go to his funeral - dad did and he said it was quite sad as there were only a half a dozen or so people there. i remember his dad was called Tommy

Thanks sospiri, your input is very much appreciated. After speaking to my dad we reckon his boxing may have been more the 30s. I've followed your lead and check the newspapers but no joy but I will check out the B'ham archives catalogue. When life feels more normal, I will have to visit the archive and have a proper rummage.
hello Retro - i've got loads of newspaper reports and fight cards - in his scrapbook - which he gave me - if you're really interested i could post some - Bob

Hi Susan,
My Uncle, Joe Nolan, remembers your Uncle Johnny very well. Joe boxed for the Mint as an amateur when Johnny was a pro and trained by his Dad.
Joe often told me that even the light heavies and heavies in the gym wouldn't spar with Johnny as he was so fast and hit so hard. He was totally dedicated to boxing and would run round Edgbaston Reservoir, including one entire lap backwards, every morning.
Uncle Joe looked up to Johnny tremendously and dreamed of being a pro himself. It was when Johnny fought Sammy McCarthy, either in a non title fight or shortly before he became British Champion that Joe became disillusioned with the idea. He couldn't believe that anyone could work that hard yet be so short of the top level, ( Johnny lost on a wide decision ).
Johnny fought 5 guys who had held British titles in all, beating 2 of them so he was certainly no slouch.
When I boxed at Birmingham City back in the '80's, there was an old character who was always in the gym who used to talk about flying to Switzerland with Johnny in the late '50's. Johnny was terrified of flying and, although teetotal, was knocking back double brandys and as a consequence came in over the weight - the only time in his career.
your uncle's name sounds familiar - Johnny fought both Henry Cooper and his brother Jim - Henry's hammer done him and he lost to Jim too - all the best Bob

JOHNNY PRESCOTT the Upper Thomas St School lad coached by Mr Millner school sports teacher. Remember his Fight with Henry Cooper.
JOHNNY PRESCOTT the Upper Thomas St School lad coached by Mr Millner school sports teacher. Remember his Fight with Henry Cooper.
johnny was me dad's cousin [Arthur Lees] - "he would have been a good'un - if he dain't train on beer an fags"

Attachments

• IMG_8260.jpeg
    IMG_8260.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Hi Susan,

hello Black Countryman - i was born in 1948 and Johnny was a fair bit older than me so i didn't really know him until later - about the time the was running the 'Playboy' club at the bottom of Snow Hill. My Dad reckoned Tony [his dad] was pretty handy too - i'm not a scrapper myself and went to Australia at 17 [I walked overland most of the way - it took 4 years] so i don't know an awful lot about the family - I've still got a couple of Johnny's medals for boxing and Dads too - and also his pumps - i went back to Brum to bury Dad and that's how i ended up with the memorabilia. I watched Henry fight Cassius with Dad - Dad went ballistic when they razored his gloves but of course after the extended corner time Cassius came out to open up Henry's eye and nail him - A FIX! - [according to Dad] - Dad said Johny's demise was very sad as he ended up debt collecting and bouncing - and skint. It's all too sad for me and i'm so very, very glad that i got away from Lozells, Aston and Brum in general - when i was young enough - all the best mate - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I can remember Johnny living at The Bell at Tanworth in Arden where boxer Ted Hood was the publican. The idea was to keep away from the temptation in Birmingham while he trained for a big fight, possibly Billy Walker

I can remember Johnny living at The Bell at Tanworth in Arden where boxer Ted Hood was the publican. The idea was to keep away from the temptation in Birmingham while he trained for a big fight, possibly Billy Walker
Never a fan of the boxing scene but I knew Johnny on his way up in 1950's and I worked in Tanworth and knew the Bell where Jack Hood had been the gaffer but I thought he had retired by then the 1960's. To complete my total knowledge of boxing such as it is I went to school with Cartwright brothers in 1940's. Brian in particular was a useful boxer but not seen him mentioned on this thread.

Brian Cartwright raised in Garrets Green Birmingham died age 81 in 2019 his last fight 29th sept 1969.
He fought in several weights starting at flyweight 8st to light-welter weight 10st, 84 bouts of which he won 54.
He won his first fight in 1960 against Danny Wells at the Embassy Sportsdrome birmingham
His obituary says the greatest fighter to come out of Birmingham.

Back