• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham boxers?

HI TOMMY ;
You are most certainly elected by me tommy ; you are bang on ; these are the guys i know alright and have known them all for donkeys years ;
seamus burns used to do the door for donleavy over at the ship pub which was across from st martins church along with big jackie ;
but big jackie the ladies man always had an eye on a lady or two he used to sing to them tommy did not do any boxing ;
johny is related to big jackie leo and john 2 brothers they was known in the boxing world and they was all best of mates ;
and i have got calined with them may times in years gone bye some time ago at the red lion jackie,s brother told methat big
jack had diedc quite afew years ago now ; great news knowing that you know them ;i reckon you are like me tom
a kid from th old school our kid ;
speak with you later i hope ; best wishes astonian;;
my old dad was a barrow boy in the old bull ring, you might know fruity-tuit, haha, as i said, i will try and have a word the weekend with young johnny burns, just as a matter of interest,-donleavy??? is this the same donleavy who had the boozer on the stratford road? just under the bridge, cant think of the name at moment, jimmy brady used to do a bit for him, ex wrestler, like a brick sxxt house, nice guy, used to go up there with fruity tuits son don,hav,nt seen jimmy for a bit iether, all the best.

hi tommy ;
old tuiti friuti rins a bell he used to come into the blarney stone along with the rest of the lads [ the barrow boys ] for breakfast
and lunch time during the day as well ; donleavys along the stratford rd is quite correct i remember the guy you are on about big jackie worked with him and you know the size of him ; do recall the rose taveren just along from donleavys john cole owned it along with the one up bradford st ;
best wishes tommy ; astonian;

hi tommy ;
old tuiti friuti rins a bell he used to come into the blarney stone along with the rest of the lads [ the barrow boys ] for breakfast
and lunch time during the day as well ; donleavys along the stratford rd is quite correct i remember the guy you are on about big jackie worked with him and you know the size of him ; do recall the rose taveren just along from donleavys john cole owned it along with the one up bradford st ;
best wishes tommy ; astonian;
tuity fruit was the nickname given to old george fewtrell, my old dad reckons he was the best con man in b,ham--if i,m allowed to say that, when i was a kid, i used to be employed, driving him around, he would call at the house for 9--30, am, my dad would have the stock ready, in winter it was electric fires, toys, dolls etc, by 10, we would be of, george would hit, three shops, sell the stuff and be back in the boozer for 12ish, i was paid up, jimmy brady also ran the "lamb" i think, just up from donleavys, now his son, chrissy, runs a boozer up bradford street, sounds like the same people.

HI TOMMY
Yes we are speaking of the same mob including jimmy on bradford street can,t mention is surname as you know we are limited on the forum as it does not allow it for legal reasons they are very good frotends and close friends to the man liam ;whom owns the pubs around brum and the kery man ; you know whom i mean don,t you ;and the blaney stone ;
have a good day ; best wishes astonian;

hi i was just found this site and my partner is michael kirby who is related to the late bert kirby, who you have any photos of bert or photos of his belt, thanks sue

hi do you have the photos of bert kirbys lonsdale belt which was displayed at the clements arms as my partner Mike Kirby was related to bert thanks sue

hi susie
i am truely surprized not one of your family of relie have not got a picture of old berts belt i would they would have treasured it
are you not in touch with the older generation of the family ;i am aware of the older generation of the family and they would have passed away ;
but surely one of hem may have kept them ; or should i say one ;i only have the memorys in my head with the older gen; of your berts family
and only the picture of them what they looked like
i wonder if any of the lawley family may have one after all he done alot of good and trained them down at the old GKN gym in heath street
along with roy and big jackie burns and the Mcgoatie brothers including others
they have all died now last of them died about four or five years now and the man some one mentionioned about to die four was dave rubin;
he had the bookies at six ways aston it must be about four or five years now the Mc groats brothers re still around thou but they aint members on the
forum but i did not think they would have had a pic; sorry i cannot help you out but may be some -one will come to life
may be there is still a boxing associated stil in brum whom will keep the records and posible a pic;
best wishes astonian;;

hi i was just found this site and my partner is michael kirby who is related to the late bert kirby, who you have any photos of bert or photos of his belt, thanks sue
well hello susan flanagan, may i suggest you have a good look on the site as i am sure there are a couple of pics of dear old bert, saw em myself i,m sure, also, may i suggest you tell michael to have a world with old jimmy who i know kept a couple of pics and news cuttings in his office, now i thought you two were coming over to see us? i,m missing my little mate. yours tom.

hello astonian, yes your right, i know who has some photos and have just replied to sue, who is a good friend of ours, as is little mick, they clearly dont know i,m on this site, haha.

Does anyone remember Tommy Jennings from Catherine street?. He used to box round about the late fifties early sixties. His sisters were Jackie and Georgina. Jean.

G.G.Jean Hello - I bumped into Tommy Jennings about 4/5 years ago,he is fit and well and working as an handyman for a property developer.We had a good chat about the old days.I boxed for Kyrle Hall and Tom was boxing for Aston ABC at the time.He got selected to box for England at lightweight against America,which he won.At the time I was at Kyrle Hall our top lightweight was a chap called Johnny Chivers,who moved on when Ken Cooper joined the club.Ken and Tom both boxed for England and became friends.Tom left Aston ABC to box for the Morris Commercial ABC down Alum Rock,hoping it would get him a job at the factory,which it did.

Hi Blane thanks for that. I was best friends with Jackie his sister and went out a with him for a short time but at the time thought he was too old for me?. My how things have changed. My husband Pete went to Kyrle Hall and I think it was a boys club?. I have posted a photo under boys clubs of the place. I am glad Tommy is doing OK?. Will ask Pete if he remembers Johnny Chivers. Thanks. Jean.

G.G.Jean Hello - I bumped into Tommy Jennings about 4/5 years ago,he is fit and well and working as an handyman for a property developer.We had a good chat about the old days.I boxed for Kyrle Hall and Tom was boxing for Aston ABC at the time.He got selected to box for England at lightweight against America,which he won.At the time I was at Kyrle Hall our top lightweight was a chap called Johnny Chivers,who moved on when Ken Cooper joined the club.Ken and Tom both boxed for England and became friends.Tom left Aston ABC to box for the Morris Commercial ABC down Alum Rock,hoping it would get him a job at the factory,which it did.
yes i remember tommy jennings, a lot of good boxers came to the morris at the time as it was considered one of the best clubs in brum, good trainers too. i think i remember his sister jackie, nechells and aston was a lot smaller then.

Back