• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham boxers?

My uncle was Johnny Mann and he was a Birmingham boxer. He did very well from what I know and judging by the birthdate above I think this could be the same person. Do you know of anyone else from the Mann family or on the boxing circle as i am trying to trace info on my family who all lived in that area. Thank you.

This is my uncle Johnny Mann. I have a newspaper article that states he coached Johnny Prescott. His father who worked at Turners would have been Samual (Sammy) Mann). do you know anyone else in the Mann family or know where I can find more info on Johnny and his boxing? Thank you.

How touched I was when I read this message. Johnny Mann was my uncle and yes he was a great guy just like his dad who we called old uncle Sam. I am very new to all this research so to see these comments is very inspiring. Johnny's dad Sam was my grandads brother.

Hi

Yep Johnny Prescott and that night. St Andrews 15th June 1965. he was our hero and in front
of us he stood staring down the gun barrel of Henry Coopers Left Hook.
Johnny was slaughtered that night but in the 7th round Johnny caught him and blood started pouring
down his face. Cheerin everybody was now in 7th Heaven. It was electric. Could he do it could we have
a Buimmie Champion.
It wasnt to be Henry slaughtered him by now Prescott didnt know what day it was. He kept getting up
the Harder Henry hit him it seemed to give him an strange power.
The 10th round came and Henry hit that hard he literately spun in the air and poor Johnny crashed to the
Canvas. Our dream was over and George Biddles through the Towel into the Ring.
Johnny was struggling back to his feet but the fight was over the ref Frank Wilson stopped it.
Johnny fought on afterwards but with Cooper around that was that.
He went on till 1970 9 years of tough fighting.
A real credit to us.

mike jenks

hi mike ;
yes mike i watched that mike and it should never been matched up as he was out classed by old henry ;
but to get into the big time thats what you have to do to make a name it was all about money
it was also the case of bugner and mohamed ali he was there for the money anther one unsuited for class ;
still jonhy made his money out of the game and got himself a couple of betting shops before going on o the steel stockist game where he made money
he openend up a yard ware house in victoria rd aston and he had a prtner in betting shop s and he had one on lozells rd at six ways
oppersite the old oak pub at six ways aston and then some yearts l;ater he sold off the shops and openend up about half a mile away on victoria rd
Aston ; best wishes Astonian ;;;

Does anyone have any information about the Birmingham boxer BILLY CAIN, his boxing record is on the web, he was a featherweight and fought between 1924-1933, I belive that he was a relative of my Grandmother's, Sarah Ann Cain b1879 who lived in Fisher Street, Gosta Green, Birmingham.

I have been unable to find out anything about Billy CAIN to help identify what part of the family he may be from, I would be grateful for any information about him.

Smiler

Just read all this thread and Im amazed at all the information..
My father use to box for A.B.C. in Aston during the 50's, his name is Bob(James William) Troman.
I am also a distant relative of Johnny Prescott.

This is a photo of my dad Bob(James William) Troman taken in August 1964.
007.jpg

Is that true Bill? I knew Johnny well in the early 1960's and am shocked to hear that news.

Judy

I am very sorry to hear about "Johnny Prescott" , I knew him in the early 60's and a great bloke, and nice family.
paul

HI Bernie ;
many thanks for informing us of wally death today and also informing me of johnys death which i never heard about ;
they was the two icons of birminghams boxers and two guys i new so well as along with some other friends of mine
i will have to telephone them ;and tell them in case they are not aware of it ; yes george done a great job with them both
not so long ago back that one of our associates informed me of johns ill health ;my friend sees his sister quite often ;
MAY GOD BLESS AND MAY THEY BOTH REST IN PEACE ;

Hi

With Wally Swift and Johnny Prescott passing over one must thank those two for lighting
up Midland Boxing. Birmingham buzzed over John and Wally came from Nottingham.
Both trained under George Biddles
Thank you both

mike jenks

I remember Johnny from UPPER THOMAS STREET School training under Mr millner so sad I think his wife still has THE UPPERCUT Hairstylist on Collage Road RIP Johnny & thanks for the Cooper Fight ;o)

I never saw Johnny Prescott box, but remember him well from childhood, I know he lived with his grandma but he used to visit a relative in Burlington Street, which may have been another grandma. Didn't he have an interest in a nightclub, over shops in Victoria Square, Birmingham, I have a vague memory of going there some time in the 1960s, believe it was Gallaghers Corner. RIP Johnny.

i

my dad dan davis and my uncle wally cox both new pardoe and rated him highly wally cox trained boxers for morris comercial on alum rock also at duddeston mill he had a good heavywieght called paul brown he turned pro he was matched with joe bugnerwho was having his first pro fight paul ko him in the return joe beat him
slso there was a boxer from saltley called ernie smith think he was a bantam if anyone has any info on his fights would like to here
danny

isaw johnny one sunday morning training in the trees pub as we were coming out jack bodel was entering putit this way there was no love lost on them stairs
KRO Johnny

There is an article about Johnny Prescott in today's Birmingham Mail, apparently he had suffered from dementia for the last 6 years. He had also been married and divorced four times.

I remember seeing him up the Locarno (with Derek Dougan and others) back in the 60s. Don't know if he ever had an interest in a nightclub.

Hello Smiler,
My Uncle Joe Nurrish was a Birmingham boxer around the same time as your Billy Cain.
I don't suppose anyone knows of Joe Nurrish but i remember my mother had kept a beautiful clock and 2 iron fire dogs plus other prizes that he had won also his old boxing gloves.I don't know at what weight he boxed at but none of our family were big peoplel so he may have boxed at one of the lower weights. Records show that he was boxing between 1927 to 1931 ish. He had 45 professional bouts. I was told by my mother that he gave up after a kidney punch.
Happy hunting PAM

Hi Pamela,

Yes, I think things were much different in the late 20's and early 30's, there were so many young men who entered the boxing game with the hope of making a few quid and other than their names appearing in the local papers and some sports magazine's that's all we know about them, which is where we both seem to be, we know their name's but not much else, sad really but the search goes on.

Smiler

it is true, he passed away on saturday night at good hope hospital - rip johnny....

i was in good hope hospital in same side ward with jonny prescott 8 weeks ago.iwas very surprised to see he had passed away. He was a very nice man and all the nurses and staff loved him regards reg morris

Back