• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham boxers?

Why has no one mentioned Bert Kirby?,British flyweight champion.
His lonsdale belt was hung over the back of a chair in a window somewhere in Newtown Row.Of course,he was an Aston boy,in his time that wasn't in Brum.

Johny prescott the boxer came from nechells and he started his training
at the trees pub up stairs and then he moved to the colledge arms
spring hill i,ve known johny for years he made some money from boxing and openend a couple of betting shops around aston and as the years rolled on he went into the steel busines he had a big yard down on victoria rd just pass the swan pub for years prescott steel stock holders was the trading name a frend of ours whomi met afew months ago told me johny is not very well now he has got serious health problems astonian ,;;;;;

Johnny used to go out with my best friend back in the early 1960s. I have been to his house once or twice when we all used to go about together. Sorry to hear that he is not well now.

Judy

Sorry to hear that Johnny Prescott is not well. I knew him from the clubs. And I knew his partner/wife, Sue, she was a friend of my ex husband. They had a son, JJay I think. Hope he gets better.

Ann

Johnny Prescott was an orphan he had a step brother Tony Rankin John came from the Cottage Homes to live in Burlington street with is Nan he was a pupil at Upper Thomas Street, Tony lived in William Henry street Sue's hairdressers shop is called Upper Cuts.

one of the kirby lads from the old summer lane farm st
bert was still fit in is prime as i recall him and the lads and also big jackie burns along with his mated the Mc grotie bothers John and leo all three boxed together and trained the kids at the gkn social club up stairs down heath street winson green
and of course watty green followed by his son whom took up boxing
he never was good as is dad thou watty and john prescott went into the bookie business in the early years best wishes astonian ;;

hi every one ,
my grandad was a boxer in the thirties ,his name was william n morris
born around 1907 but not sure .. died in 1974
he trained in the midlands (birmingham or the black country area )
my nan told me he was birmingham boxing champion in in the thirties .
he lost an eye in the war years but not through military service,
he continued to fight and spar with one eye , one the pre war boing web site there are too or three with a similar names one from tipton and another
from aston ... if anyone has any information it would be greatfully excepted
thanks

kenn

A friend of the family--Jack Kirby was a Birmingham boxer before the war (as were one or more of his brothers). Jack had a junk yard in Frankfort street, Hockley in the 1960's. I have searched online in vain for any photos of Jack; none to be found.

Does anyone have any information or photos of Boxer known as Birmingham's Boy Edge ?

I understand that his career was during the 1920s- 1940s

Bo

Billy Millington who owned pubs and lived in Birmingham had a lot to do with the boxing scene. It was said that one night Ray Corbett came to Billy's house and eat what he thought was stew on the stove, but it turned out to be bones stewing for the dog's dinner. Billy and a few others flew to USA to watch Ali fight and rumour has it that they drunk the minitures dry.

My great-grandfather was a referee. I have his obituary from the Birmingham Gazette 10th April 1939. He was president of the Aston A.B.C, in 1938 and president and chairman of the Birmingham J.O.C boxing section. He was also a life member of the Midland Counties A.B.C and a member of the Ivy Green Club in Livery Street at the time when the host, Alf Greenfield, was champion of England. He was also connected to Kynoch's A.B.C and president of their bowling section!

In another article I have about him it talks about a Kynoch's display night featuring;
J. Anthony (Metropolotan ABC)
J. Rowbotham (Aston ABC)
G. Phillips (Birmingham Carriage)
T.Bull (Metropolitan)
D.Tomlin (Aston ABC)
J. Gordon (Imperial)
but I don't have the date.

I knew a boxer he owned a shop on the corner of six ways Erdington, his first name was David, cannot recall his second. Boy was he to die for Yummyyyyyyyyyyy...Cat

It was Dave Roden-A heavyweight.
His shop was called U-Save.

A friend of the family--Jack Kirby was a Birmingham boxer before the war (as were one or more of his brothers). Jack had a junk yard in Frankfort street, Hockley in the 1960's. I have searched online in vain for any photos of Jack; none to be found.
Two things, my Nan's shop backed on to Kirbys in Frankfort St (Mrs Jones/ Crowe) she was in Gt Russel St.
When I was at school Johnny Prescott was the boxing hero.....but dad and I had followed sportsview and BBC Radio coverage of boxing, and followed Billy Walker "The blond bomber" especially when he knocked out that big American Amateur, so I was the only one who supported Walker against Prescott. Two Brilliant fights. Glad he has been successful (As has Walker) and not had his dosh taken by hangers on as a lot of boxers do. Believe he liked a drink in Flints down the road from me in Sutton Coldfield.

hi billy
the boxer you are talking about is dave rueben
i know dave very well a smart guy and very wealthy he used to live in a big
grand house in selly park afew years back he sold up and had a bungolow
built up in harborne i used to go to his house in selly park
when mohammed ali came to brum years ago he went to daves house
and they had there picture took around his whopping big grand bar
in his house he has got a cracking lovely wife
but dave is now getting on in life
and i m afraid he has fallen on the way side just like johny prescott
he still as is wealth but he loosing is health because of the drink
12 months ago i met dave along the pershore rd visting the old
friends and drinking in the selly park taveren where nick owen drinks
with his wife occasioniy but dave had no coat on andhe was falling along
staggering as well struggling to aboard the bus up to cotteridge
and his shirt was all hanging out he looked a right mess
i used to go to his regular and put away acouple of brandy,s
but he is getting old now and its taking its toll
incidently i spoke with some-one a couple of weeks
about johny , he,s not very well and so one of the fewtrells girl is,nt
very well he tells me ,
any way has you relize we are all getting older and we are all suffering
regarding brian london part time boxer in my eyes and he got him self
into trouble
have a nice day best wishes astonian;;

hi billy
the boxer you are talking about is dave rueben
i know dave very well a smart guy and very wealthy he used to live in a big
grand house in selly park afew years back he sold up and had a bungolow
built up in harborne i used to go to his house in selly park
when mohammed ali came to brum years ago he went to daves house
and they had there picture took around his whopping big grand bar
in his house he has got a cracking lovely wife
but dave is now getting on in life
and i m afraid he has fallen on the way side just like johny prescott
he still as is wealth but he loosing is health because of the drink
12 months ago i met dave along the pershore rd visting the old
friends and drinking in the selly park taveren where nick owen drinks
with his wife occasioniy but dave had no coat on andhe was falling along
staggering as well struggling to aboard the bus up to cotteridge
and his shirt was all hanging out he looked a right mess
i used to go to his regular and put away acouple of brandy,s
but he is getting old now and its taking its toll
incidently i spoke with some-one a couple of weeks
about johny , he,s not very well and so one of the fewtrells girl is,nt
very well he tells me ,
any way has you relize we are all getting older and we are all suffering
regarding brian london part time boxer in my eyes and he got him self
into trouble
have a nice day best wishes astonian;;

Hi Astonian.

We must be talking about two different boxers.
Dave Roden is a very succesfull businessman and is also Chairman/Director of the British Boxing Board of Control Midlands Area.
Regards
Bill123

Slightly off thread I'm afraid, but urgent.
Does anyone know the present whereabouts of Johnny Prescott?.An old pal of his from way back,my cousin,has passed away,and his sister would like to contact Johnny.
Thanks.

Dave Roden is a member of our West Midland Ex Boxers Association based at the the Portland Rd Bunny Johnstone is our president also a member is boxing referee John Coyle besides many others

Mossy

A bit of Birmingham history,the connection between these two photo's,is, The Clements Arms,was where Bert Kirby British flyweight champion 1930,displayed his Lonsdale Belt,when he won the title.

Back