• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Boundaries

shadowrichards

proper brummie kid
What Boroughs were adjacent to Birmingham in the 1930s? Other than Smethwick, West Bromwich, Sutton Coldfield and Solihull, what other boroughs bordered on Birmingham County Borough? Many thanks.

Do you mean for births, marriages and deaths registration purposes? Or just in general?

Solihull was not a borough in the 1930s. It was a 'Rural District' until 1932 after which it became an 'Urban District'. It wasn't a borough until 1954.

My query about the local authorities which bordered Birmingham County Borough is a geographic query, not directed to births, marriages and deaths. I acknowledge that Solihull was not a Borough. Perhaps I should have used the term 'neighbouring local authorities'.

Thanks folks. I think I have come to the conclusion that the surrounding authorities were Bromsgrove, Oldbury, Smethwick, Solihull, Sutton Coldfield, Walsall and West Bromwich.

Couldn't find a thread for this - some of the discussions about the expansion of Birmingham in 1910...

...it's a bit of a long read but some might find it interesting.

Some of the reasons in favour could still seem to apply today.

Back