• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Blitz - 70th Anniversary - Commemoration event at Birmingham Council House

Blacksmith

master brummie
Some of you may have seen my brother, Doug Smith, and pupils from Swanswhurst School on Midlands Today last week, talking about the Birmingham Blitz and the on-line data base that the pupils have set up listing those who were killed in the Blitz. They also hope to eventally have a list of those injured during the Blitz. (BARRA - Birmingham Air Raids Remembrance Association)

Please have a look at the BARRA website which has a wealth of information: https://www.swanshurst.org/barra/

My brother has asked me to mention the following event he has organised at Birmingham Council House, which he feels many of you may be interested in:

On the 19th November the Lord Mayor has given me the use of the Council House to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Birmingham Blitz.

November 19th 1940 was the raid which killed the most people in Birmingham with more than 400 killed and 1000 injured. This is out of a total of 2,241 people killed in Birmingham from 1940-1943.

On the 19th the following displays will be in the Council House:
A Home Front display
A Royal Warwickshire display
A VE Day display
A Fire Brigade Heritage display
An Ambulance Service display
A BSA display
And the Swanshurst data base of those killed and injured in the Blitz at WWW.Swanshurst.org/barra

The displays are open to the general public from 10 am to 4 pm with free admission

On the evening this is a special commemoration event in the Council House from 7 pm to 9.30 pm with 200 invited guests. Tickets are available from douglas.smith@swans.bham.sch.uk or by contacting Swanshurst School and leaving a message for Mr. Smith on 0121 464 2400.

Re: Birmingham Blitz - 70th Anniversary - Commemoration event at Birmingham Council H

There was an excellent report on the Birmingham Blitz on BBC news this morning.

Back