• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Battery & Metal Co Selly Oak

Hello you wonderful people. I've been reading this thread with great interest, partly because I used to live just across the way from the Battery and partly because once again I'm planning a book. (www.anniemurray.co.uk)
I would love to know more about this place form anyone who can recall or has been told any details. Certain things in particular.
- more about the processes going on the factory and what exactly they were making and how
- the nature of more serious accidents there. I don't suppose this changed all that much but I am looking here at the late 1950s. Life changing if not actually fatal accidents. The place sounds extraordinary and I'm guessing that like some other businesses, the arrival of Health & Safety culture may well have been one of the things that finished it off. Not having ever worked in a place like that, I would really like to know what some of te jobs entailed and hence the accidents - of any of you know?
All good wishes,
Annie
Annie,

I'm not sure if by now you have finished your book. But if not I am happy to give you any information I have. I used to work in the laboratory there from about 1972-1981. Somewhere I have a copy of a works magazine the Christmas edition but I can't remember what year and a few photos of the laboratory. Let me know if I can help Malcolm Robinson

The latest posts led me to have a further look in the Archives, as the coverage increases with time.
We can now shed more light on the" accident" that occurred in April 1977 where one man died and 17 were injured.

This is the report from the Birmingham Daily Post after the explosion, also showing
pictures.

CB2102C5-A57D-4723-A62B-737B0CD9BD1E.jpegB675AA84-2C5E-4E89-A5E7-A7EC37768C82.jpeg

Looking for information on the inquest the only thing I could find was a short clip " Blast death cause, a mystery"
Later clip shows that two workers were awarded the Queen's Commendation for Brave conduct.

49A69850-6C81-4047-93A2-FD1457BC1F80.jpegDA9242EE-518E-4FEB-907C-8751645D8CDD.jpeg

I have never seen those photos or that report again, that is some stunning piece of research, thank you. It was an awful time working there for quite a while after and obviously incredibly traumatic for the families of those directly affected. Our laboratory was literally about 40 yards or so from the Refinery but fortunately for the staff on duty in a separate building. Congratulations that is brilliant work.

Interesting that the report cites 'mystery oil leak' as the cause. That is not what we were told by the guys that actually worked in the Refinery and were there that night. But who knows I guess.

Interesting that the report cites 'mystery oil leak' as the cause. That is not what we were told by the guys that actually worked in the Refinery and were there that night. But who knows I guess.

Having found some info on the accident it remains puzzling why there are no detailed reports of the Inquest. There was one fatality and 17 injured and the explosion was somewhat dismissed as “a mystery." The much maligned Health and Safety at Work Act had been passed in 1974. Surely this would be a case for extensive investigation as there could be similar occurrences in the future.

I think that any book written about this Company should address the details of this inquest. Was the nickname "the blood tub" gained as other accidents were dismissed as a mystery?

Well I don't like to speculate because some of the families of the fatality and the injured may just wish to get closure. But as I have said we were told it was due to wet sacks and swarf being put in the furnace. I vaguely remember the inspectors being around in the immediate aftermath but I honestly cannot remember any official explanations from either the factory owners or management. Our information was from the guys who worked in the Refinery. You would assume they would have given their accounts to the inspectors. So what the official result of the inquest was I don't know.

I think that at least some of the equipment around the factory came from Germany as part of WW1 reparations, so it was old. I am not sure how this was actually sorted out or indeed if it is 100% accurate but it is what I was told by some of the older guys when I worked there.

I also think that the factory processes involved, casting molten model, extruding huge lengths of red hot wires, pressing and flattening huge plates of red hot metal, as well as cutting and dressing billets, wires etc; would necessarily involve highly dangerous and risky tasks for the workers to undertake. I would imagine in the early days there would have been little in the way of safety equipment, guards, shields, safety googles, gloves, safety boots etc, so crushed fingers, hands & feet. burns from splashing metal, injuries from flying swarf etc must have been the order of the day. Not particularly different to similar work in other metal manufacturing factories. So blood tub, could just be a local name based on the numerous injuries which must have taken place to people who in those days probably lived in and around the factory.

The people on your photo are from the left, me, George Taylor (Manager), Harry Kaye (Head Chemist) & I think Bill Bevan (but it could have been his brother Les). I have some similar photos from the period that were taken for the works magazine.

Hi everybody
i was wondering wether or not did any member on the forum ever work at the birmingham battery selly oak
when back in time they used the horses i was speaking to a couple older gentlman about it and they was telling me of the days when they worked there with the horse and cart
and how one horse bolted and ran off so i thought i would asked for any more stories of the b,ham battery ,
best wishes astonian ;
received_2142225099359868.jpeg

Hi everybody
i was wondering wether or not did any member on the forum ever work at the birmingham battery selly oak
when back in time they used the horses i was speaking to a couple older gentlman about it and they was telling me of the days when they worked there with the horse and cart
and how one horse bolted and ran off so i thought i would asked for any more stories of the b,ham battery ,
best wishes astonian ;
IMG_20181003_074901_605.jpg

My dad worked here and was injured in this explosion he was 1 of the 18 to survive it would nice hear from any 1 who worked there at that time who may of known him

Hi everybody
best wishes astonian ;
View attachment 127732

My dad worked here and was injured in this explosion he was 1 of the 18 to survive it would nice hear from any 1 who worked there at that time who may of known him
Hi, sorry I have only just picked up your question I have just got back from a weeks holiday. As I said above I worked in the laboratory and a lot of the guys in the refinery used to bring their samples up to us to be analysed, plus we were often in the refinery delivery analysis results to the guys down there. So it is possible I may know your dad or he may know me. If you can give me a few more details about him I can confirm if I knew him or not. Malcolm Robinson

Sorry im not very good on these forum sites lol but ill add a picture up now you might remember him many thanks.
My dad ( john h stokes) passed away in 1999 at the age of 53 and at a long shot wondered if any 1 on here may of had some more pictures as iv not got many
Many thanks

Attachments

• 20181008_193556.png
    20181008_193556.png
    188.8 KB · Views: 15
Sorry im not very good on these forum sites lol but ill add a picture up now you might remember him many thanks.
My dad ( john h stokes) passed away in 1999 at the age of 53 and at a long shot wondered if any 1 on here may of had some more pictures as iv not got many
Many thanks
And i didnt mean to see this just to you i thought id just added it to the page

Hi everybody
best wishes astonian ;

I remember Birmingham Battery not as far back as when you're asking, I worked for a electrical wholesaler and BB&M had an account with us

the two gentlemen involved was my late father inlaw and his brother and it was my late father inlaw whom was resonible for the horse to bolt down and out because my late father inlaw loved his drin where upon his brother never did and it was his brother whom told me of my late father episode being drunk when he was to fetch the big horse down to be fitted up to the cart his younger brother left after that and went onto the british railways in those days and he was court between to goods wagons so he lost his arm he got compsation for it these two brothers never spoke again in thirty years he did not like the older brother because he was alway stinking of the beer and got out of hands with people and people never liked him ,his younger brother got a job at the qe hospital for 25 years before he died he older one went on for years and yet we are told drink kill,s us eh

Many thanks
Hi, I couldn't recognise your dad from the photo but I did know a John Stokes who worked in the Refinery as a castor. When I knew him he was a powerfully built guy, quite tall and very strong. He was really friendly, worked really hard and was very well liked by us in the laboratory and his close friends who worked with him in the Refinery.

I'm sure he told us he loved going to the holiday camps particularly Butlins at Barry Island. He used to complain he didn't like the salt tablets the castors took in the hot summer months, to keep their salt levels up because they got so hot, he said they tasted foul.

There is literally a million to one chance I may have a photo of him in an old B'ham Battery magazine, I honestly can't remember. But I will dig it out and will let you know. I'm sure it must be the same John Stokes I knew because it would be a huge coincidence to have two John Stokes' working in the same building in the same factory. I was sad to read he had passed away, he was a really great bloke and was very well thought of. Malcolm Robinson

I know little, other than what is recorded here, of the Birmingham Battery and Metal Company and even less about those who worked there,
What did cause interest was this comment in post 103 by Malcolm.
He used to complain he didn't like the salt tablets the castors took in the hot summer months, to keep their salt levels up because they got so hot, he said they tasted foul.
Industrial experience for me has been limited to six months (my first employment) with the GPO at Fordrough Lane and two years, after RAF service, managing an electronic valve production line. Neither was truthfully my metier.
The comment in post 103 interested me purely as it is something which is probably a historical fact in so far as it was part of the employment and regime of the company.
I am sure there are many other industrial processes which required some preventative or restorative treatments which were part of the occupation and safe working practices. Goggles and barrier creams are common to many workplaces, but I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have some of these kind of things recorded here. After all so much of the city's industrial history has disappeared - either closed down or moved - and much of what now exists seems to be far less intensive and smaller scaled.

I know little, other than what is recorded here, of the Birmingham Battery and Metal Company and even less about those who worked there,
What did cause interest was this comment in post 103 by Malcolm.
He used to complain he didn't like the salt tablets the castors took in the hot summer months, to keep their salt levels up because they got so hot, he said they tasted foul.
Industrial experience for me has been limited to six months (my first employment) with the GPO at Fordrough Lane and two years, after RAF service, managing an electronic valve production line. Neither was truthfully my metier.
The comment in post 103 interested me purely as it is something which is probably a historical fact in so far as it was part of the employment and regime of the company.
I am sure there are many other industrial processes which required some preventative or restorative treatments which were part of the occupation and safe working practices. Goggles and barrier creams are common to many workplaces, but I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have some of these kind of things recorded here. After all so much of the city's industrial history has disappeared - either closed down or moved - and much of what now exists seems to be far less intensive and smaller scaled.
Hi,

Yes it was quite common in the Refinery area of the factory for the guys working the furnace to be given salt tablets. The furnaces were huge and obviously phenomenally hot. Also tons of metal had to be loaded into them, usually shoveled or thrown in, in sacks. This was very hot and debilitating at the best of times but particularly on hot days. The guys sweated out loads of salt and had to take salt tablets to maintain their salt levels and drink gallons of water to keep dehydrated. By the time I was working there everyone had googles, safety boots etc but there were still asbestos gloves in use. I am not sure if their salt levels were ever monitored or if it led to them developing high blood pressure but as I say, they took them. Malcolm Robinson

Found a couple of photos of the lab taken at the same time as the Birmingham Post article photos were. First one is me and Bill Beavan (sitting). The second me Bill and Harry Kaye our boss! Still looking for the works magazine!

Attachments

• Battery Lab 1.jpg
    Battery Lab 1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Battery Lab 2.jpg
    Battery Lab 2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 38
Annie,

I'm not sure if by now you have finished your book. But if not I am happy to give you any information I have. I used to work in the laboratory there from about 1972-1981. Somewhere I have a copy of a works magazine the Christmas edition but I can't remember what year and a few photos of the laboratory. Let me know if I can help Malcolm Robinson
Malcolm - sorry I have not been on here for a while. Thank you for replying. I often get replies long after I've finished - c'est la vie I suppose. Thank you anyway - Annie

Annie,

Malcolm - sorry I've only just seen this. Thanks for the offer. You;re right, I don't need it just now - but you never know in future! Thanks for getting in touch and best wishes,
Annie

Found these from my old 93 yr old dad who was a Tube Drawer and overhead crane driver at the Battery for almost 39 yrs before redundancy.

Attachments

• B7C2787E-F4FC-4466-916E-A4E72D877685.jpeg
    B7C2787E-F4FC-4466-916E-A4E72D877685.jpeg
    964.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 9AD7FF77-7EE2-4AB2-8DDE-F2A28315EE39.jpeg
    9AD7FF77-7EE2-4AB2-8DDE-F2A28315EE39.jpeg
    847.3 KB · Views: 30
  • AE3507D5-85CC-4B40-AC16-367FCF9179AB.jpeg
    AE3507D5-85CC-4B40-AC16-367FCF9179AB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
brilliant insight to working at birmingham battery katers...thanks for sharing

lyn

There is an extensive Thread on this company on the Forum.

And a shorter one concerning the name “Blood Tub.”

I did an Apprentiship as a Maintenance Fitter at the Battery 1978 - 1982 they kept me on when I passed out. I stayed until 1988.
If anybody wants any info, please just email me.
I'm desperate for pictures inside the factory if anybody has got any.

Back