• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Anglican catherdral

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Birmingham 1st Anglican church built in 1715 during the Victorian days
A notable feature of its interior became the design of its stain glass windows
The artist being the Birmingham born Burne Jones
The paths that cris cross the surrounding land were useful for many pedestrians walking between the city's central stations
For employees working in nearby banks , insurance and commercial offices
And of course the city shoppers
This church later became St Phillips church cathedral in our city of Birmingham
As it was an Anglican church built it became our church of st Phillips which stretches across from col more row
And around to temple row and the year it became st Phillips cathedral was the year of 1905
Best wishes Alan,,,,Astonian,,,,,,

Also included in the Cathedral precincts is that rather unusual memorial to COL. Frederick Burnaby. At the risk of being thought pedantic, though, it should be mentioned that the cathedral is dedicated to Saint Philip, apostle and martyr ( that's with one "l" ).

( I suspect that I was named after the cathedral's patron saint- and my brother is "Martin". note the possible Birmingham connection ?).

But aren't those windows superb ?

Glad you started this thread Alan. I think it's an interesting building. It's always surprised me how old the church/cathedral is. And people are often surprised that it is in fact a cathedral. When I came up to Brum a couple of weeks ago I took a few photos. Here are two. The first bishop of Birmingham, Charles Gore. Lovely statue. I also took views of the front entrance because I'd seen several early engravings of this view and it's basically pretty much unchanged except that the churchyard is now smaller. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1419327620.524185.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1419327639.662512.jpg

Looks like there's been several re-arrangements of the churchyard over time. Comparing this photo I took in Dec 2014 with an earlier photo (sorry no date) there are railings behind the Bishop of Birmingham. I wonder if these are replacements for the wooden railings in the 1829 Ratcliffe engraving in post #5. Also to the right of the Bishop, is a tomb (I think). What happens to these monuments? Are they elsewhere in the churchyard? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I am not absolutely sure I am right, but St Phillip's was built on land given by the Phillips family - perhaps that's why it's called St Phillips rather than it just being dedicated to a saint? The projecting part where the Burne Jones window is was not there originally, that's a 'new' addition. I think it's one of the most lovely places of worship in Birmingham. Interestingly, Burne Jones was just plain Jones when he was born in Bennett's Hill. Only later did he add the 'Burne' but it's not known where that originated. (Information from a book about William Morris, a friend of Burne Jones). There's nowt so queer as folk, as they say.

St. Philips' Cathedral is under the patronage of a saint, Saint Philip. Post 2 will confirms that.

I frequently walked the paths from Cherry Street to Colmore Row but never ventured into the building. Shortie may be correct about the family connection. I know of quite a few churches that have a name which was also that, either Christian or surname, of the folks who paid for the place to be built.
Someone called Martin (again Post 2) was usually named after St. Martin of Tours. (Google him )

Post revised to avoid any misunderstandings for readers and heaven knows the world is full enough of them already
!

I expect the Phillips family has a tomb inside or outside the Cathedral then. Like you Radiorails, I've never been inside the Cathedral. The churchyard has very few gravestones compared to earlier images I've seen. There seems to have been several clearances over time and of course the churchyard was once larger than today.

Eric - lovely painting in post #7. Viv.

Firstly, St Philip was from Bethsaieda, Gallilee which at the time was part of the Roman Empire, and WAS one of the twelve apostles. (In 2011 his tomb wqas found in Turkey, and archaeologists say it is clear it is the tomb of the martyred Philip. He was crucified upside down and preached from his cross).

May I also quote from Birmingham Cathedral's own page: "Unusually, as a compliment to the family the church was named St Philips". I have only just looked this up, I had no prior knowledge, but the connection between the name and the family seemed too close to ignore.

I have taken particular interest in St Philip's because some of my family, who came from Stratford upon Avon but resided in Birmingham for about four years, were baptised in this church. It is an exceptional one in my view, but there again, I like Georgian architecture. I never saw it before the Georgian box pews were removed, which is something I feel sorry about, as I would have liked to have seen it. My own vicar (Father Philip Wells), was curate at Birmingham Cathedral before moving to Polesworth Abbey.

Last edited:
Back