• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Anglers' Association

Difficult to make out but the BAA river waters in 1970.

------------------------------------------------------------
They spent too much money , every water that came up for rent or purchase they just outbid everybody else, then they crashed and burned. The first place on the list is Dolanog on the river Vyrnwy, we set off the first weekend it became available expecting a bit of nice dry fly fishing. We got there to find the parking area jammed full and crowds of anglers. The local landowners were up in arms as the short stretch now owned by the BAA was not good enough for some Brummies so they started poaching further down the river. Shots were fired into the air and arguments broke out.

When the local Heddlu turned up we packed up & went to the river Wye

For the record it was the 46th Annual contest, and the River Severn was 3ft below summer level. The winner with a catch of 4lb 12oz was M. Warren including a bream of 2lb 5oz at the Big Ham at Tewkesbury.

Long before the days of the Barbel !

My dad won a wall clock when he was a teenager in a Birmingham fishing contest, it's on my wall here and still working, he was born 1906 so sometime after 1919 I'd guess but I've never been able to find out more.

In 1960 it was said that the BAA owned or rented about a hundred miles of Midland canals, including the Stratford canal being 25.5 miles long.

Anyone have any recollections of canal fishing?

In 1960 it was said that the BAA owned or rented about a hundred miles of Midland canals, including the Stratford canal being 25.5 miles long.

I used to fish with a tank aerial in two canals. Off Aldrich Rd (check name) just up from Perry Barr park on the way to Kingstanding. The other in Hamstead not too far from the colliery. Both were an easy ride on my bike. Caught a few, really enjoy fishing, not a very good fisherman :cool:

I recall BAA had quite a few miles of canal but cannot recall which ones in detail. I think the whole of the Fazeley Canal was BAA.

I used to fish the Perry Barr (Witton Canal as we called it) in the vicinity of Perrywell Road. There was a water discharge into the canal from the ICI danger field side that use to attract fish.

The canal at Grendon was quite good for fishing too.

That would be Aldridge Road Richard, they widened it in the late 1950s so that they could run buses to Great Bar, the old iron canal bridge there was taken out at that time.

I recall BAA had quite a few miles of canal but cannot recall which ones in detail. I think the whole of the Fazeley Canal was BAA.

I used to fish the Perry Barr (Witton Canal as we called it) in the vicinity of Perrywell Road. There was a water discharge into the canal from the ICI danger field side that use to attract fish.

The canal at Grendon was quite good for fishing too.

A couple of stories from the cut at Grendon…

August 1878, Birmingham Daily Post…fishing rights on both sides of the Coventry Canal at Grendon owned by Sir George Chetwynd.

November 1932, Birmingham Gazzette…Pub landlord fined for fishing without licence from his own back yard at Grendon.

(and from the Argus, August 1988, Beryl has superb catch to win the Ladies at Grendon
26670C5B-2D80-44B1-A713-D858DC13A5AD.jpeg

E7084AEA-7739-42E4-81AC-F3E6DA415511.jpeg833D4F7F-78AC-464B-A916-AFBD53097E21.jpeg

Last edited:
Back