• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Amateur Football Teams

just found these two photos in an old photo album of a relative of mine the one photo has got hand written "team with largest score 12-0" i dont know if they lost or won 12-0 !
anybody know anybody or who the team was .
philView attachment 68496

carolina
i realise the teams where sydenham fc but i was enquring if any one had any info about the team and where they played
phil

The Sydenham pub was on the corner of Golden Hillock Rd Small Heath by the station but I don,t know where they played. Dek

philbee

The house in the background of the photo looks like Lloyd House in Farm park to me. It was not very far away from the Sydenham so it is a good possibility. I suppose the other possibilities would be the BSA sports grounds or Small Heath Park.

Phil

morning all
its a wet old day today so i thought i would see what everyones saying on the website ,firstly carol no offence taken and thanks for your replies its nice to get a responce to the posts that i put on, and phil i presume that the teams were pub teams my uncle was pictured on both .
were is the sydenham pub and lloyd house is farm park in the small heath area , be interesting to find out.
phil

I was at Southalls in the early 50s,i was making paper hankerchieves and lue rolls. We would work eight hour shifts.

In the late 40s &early 50s we played cards at the Sydenham pub,it was inconnection with Willmot&breeden football team.We had e good team and some good lads playing for us, great days...

A lot of the large factories had their own grounds and staff to keep them in excellent condition.The standard of the top teams boardered on semi professional jobs could be had by your ability to play football. The Sydenham is no longer there iit was on the corner of Golden Hillock Rd almost opposite Armoury Rd the location of B.S.A. Dek

Wendy THE NAME RINGS A BELL BUT IT WAS 60 YEARS OR M0RE, DO KNOW WHAT HE WOULD LOOK LIKE? IT MIGHT HELP I HOPE.

I dont know how local they are, but my father played for West Brom Albion in approximately 1950, Merthyr Tydfil approx 1951-52 and Banbury Spencer Coventry approx 1952-53. His name is Michael Jenkins. I think he was calley Mikey and Jenks a lot when he played ball. He is unable to tell me very much about his teams due to alzheimer's. =(
View attachment 70450

He also played in Canada and in California.

I have a football medal of my fathers which is James Booth and Co Ltd (Cuckoo Bridge) Inter Dept Competition Winners 1947-1948. A Taylor.

Dave
After 2 years I know have the correct team names, after our meeting lunch yesterday of the old Waverlyions 1960's boys. Where were you?1963 South Yardley Amt FC.jpg

Back row; Alex Coupland, me Bobby Summers, Bobby Smith, Popeye Dave Ladbrooke, Ken Copson, David Joyce.
Bottom row; Peter Deathridge, Terry Wharton, Anton Rapps, Ray South, Brian Worrel, & Dicky Martin.

This was the Final team that played our other Team South Yardley Armatures A at the BSA Ground in 1963/64 season. No subs in those days.
We lost our only game 0-1 after being all over the older team but could not convert our opportunities in the Birmingham Junior Cup Final the only time ever the same club had both their teams in the final.

Hi

I can remember watching the Parkinson Cowan team playing at
Batchelor's Farm Rec. on Bordesley Green East.

Kind regards

Dave

Back