• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Amateur Football Teams

Here is a snippet from a paper about some Birmingham teams this would be about 1936 judging by dates on the other bits.

Here are some more bits. The invioce for the sharpening of the cutters was obviously the club mower.

The fixture card must have been sent to club secreteries as there were not many phones about in 1935!

Hi
One of the many teams I played for was Kingsbrook Rangers in the South Birmingham Sunday League in the 60s, we met up again yesterday & a total of 11 of us turned up, another one was on crutches so couldn't make it & someone else couldn't get down from Newcastle.
It was a really good meet up & we even had a little kick about in St Phillips Church yard before having a drink & showing each other the photos we had. The guy that formed the team Mick Comerford had a record of nearly all the games with scores, team list, Goalscorers, venue etc. It made fascinating reading & even had press cuttings from some of the papers of the day. One very interesting one concerned a Cup Final played in Tyseley by us & the ground had a lightning strike which forced us off the pitch, this was about a year after the sad loss of Tony Allden at Highgate United when their ground was hit by a storm.
I hope to get some pictures from the day & also team pictures to post later.
Anyone out there who has any further info on Kingsbrook will be very much appreciated.
Cheers
Dave Rock

Finest footballers known to mankind. Champions of Yardley and the Universe (Division 7) 1960. Marlborough FC.

Back Row L/R Lewis, Roger Pratty, Tony Pollard , Dennis Williams , Barry Gamble, Rob Pedlingham
Front L/R Some little feller, Frankie Treacy, Clive Smith, Johnny Williams, Reggie Phipps.

Some of us went on to bigger and better clubs such as the Brookhill sides, run by a very odd chap whose name escapes me. Does any one remember those Brookhill sides by any chance? Phil Kelly the Wolves keeper was involved. Bordesley Green/Alum rock/Stechford areas. Training at Albert Road school. I think the owner and manager was locked up eventually for fiddling with younger team members....he was a well known meat trader (no pun intended) in the Town I think..

Marlborough FC 1960.jpg

Last edited:
Another proper grown up team from Small Heath area that shook the World just before my prime fooitballing time (1953-54). DIGBY UNITED. Sponsored by the true Brummy Digby family.

My late and much loved Brother in Law Johnny Ellis is third from left back row, and his mate Deakin is third from right, back row. I do not know the others. Both of these men had trials for Pro Clubs, and both represented the National Army side (National Service was rife then of course). Any further info on any of these blokes would be tremendous.

DIGBY FC   Master.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful to see the photo of the Handsworth Grammar School Football team of 1951. They were an outstanding team. Recognize John Partridge and John Salisbury as well as John Sadler? Also headmaster "Joe Walton" and "Baggy" Linden. Good old days!

Can Anyone help me please .. I know my dad and his brother played amateur footie in the l1940s/50s
Harry Payton and his elder Brother John Payton some times known as Jack or Tom .( He was a boxer called Kid Payton ' They lived at 72 Cherrywood Rd and dad worked at the Morris commercial at some point so perhaps he could have plyed for them Also was there a Joseph Weston who played for the Villa in the early 1900s whos dad was a bare fist boxer called Joseph' Chainy 'Weston ?
All sort of rumours around the family . Any one got a clue ?
Thanks Jean
qtl { position: absolute; border: 1px solid #cccccc; -moz-border-radius: 5px; opacity: 0.2; line-height: 100%; z-index: 999; direction: ltr; } qtl:hover,qtl.open { opacity: 1; } qtl,qtlbar { height: 22px; } qtlbar { display: block; width: 100%; background-color: #cccccc; cursor: move; } qtlbar img { border: 0; padding: 3px; height: 16px; width: 16px; cursor: pointer; } qtlbar img:hover { background-color: #aaaaff; } qtl>iframe { border: 0; height: 0; width: 0; } qtl.open { height: auto; } qtl.open>iframe { height: 200px; width: 300px; }
copy.png
favicon.ico

No Photoshop then. I would call for a Poltergeist Aidan, he's either 'not from this World' or he's just been visited by something or other supernatural...shiver...maybe MOMUS even...

View attachment 64597Fordonians 9 Jan 1965 NEWSPAPER.jpgView attachment 64597This was the team from Ford StreView attachment 64597et in Hockley and they were called The Fordonians and played in the Coronation League at Perry Barr Park on Sunday afternoons in the late 50s and early 60s. My brothers are in the middle on the back row, Derek (goalkeeper) and third from the right in the front row, David. I have other names if anyone wants to know.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Carolina. Do you mind if I send it on to my brother in law who played at the park and may remember the team. He played for Lio9n Rangers and usually did well in the league. Jean.

Jean of course, I am getting some more info this week from the Sports Argus so i will post what I get. Regards Carol

Nice photo Carol, the hair styles epitomized those days, and many players played in glasses. When they headed them laced footballs it dug the frames into your nose like mine did. Its Bu...ed my nose up many times.

Bob

GG Jean some more photos of Fordonians - most of these guys went to All Saints School, Icknield Street School, Handsworth New Road, Handsworth Grammer and King Edwards Five Ways

Birmingham had there own Shamrock Rovers in the late forties and fifties,there headquarters was "The benyon " Hockley,they played at Lightwoods park mostly,but did once make a tour of Ireland.
The team sheet as I recall was Kelly,Kelly,Kelly,Kelly,Kelly,Kelly,Kelly,Kelly,O'Shay,Baglin and Beard.

Back