• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Amateur Football Teams

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Three football teams my brother Albert played for. The first is Station Road fc in 1948. The second is Handsworth Grammar school in 1951. My brother is in the middle and the person behind is John Salisbury who became an olympic medalist. The third is of Hutton road. Small world a neighbour from three doors down is on it and Johny Harris's [he's on the forum] brother Ken. Jean.

My brother on the first is second from left in the bottom row. The second in the middle with the ball. The third third from the right top row. Jean.

Gee Gee Jean, not quite the same thread but when I was a child we could go to the park which was surrounded by Gospel lane, Shirley Rd and Oakhurst Road and watch any of several football matches. In those days there were factory teams and area teams, all amature of course. The park had about four pitches and they were used every Sat-Sun. The vast majority of the players were local youths and men.

Gee Gee Jean, you must have quite a collection of photos and cards. I married and left home, leaving two brothers with mom ans dad. Over the years the four of them have pased on and when the last brother died I had to search the house for a will and anything else interesting. Unfortunately There were very few photos left.

Stitcher that is sad. My brother is ten years older than myself but even though very young mom and took me to watch him play. I used to creep off catching frogs most of the time though. Was always a tom boy. That blonde hair and blue eyes was just a front I was a little s... That was the year Hutton road won the sheild. Jean.

I have posted these before but here are the photographs of my grandfathers team (Elkington FC) and my father team (Queens Head FC from Aberdeen Street, Winson Green)

1963 South Yardley Amt FC.jpg
I played for South Yardley Armatures in the mid 60's, at that time they where reported to be the oldest Junior club in brum. They had a team on a Saturday playing in the ? league HELP!
We had 2 teams on a Sunday Team A and Team B. we did not change players between teams, in 1963 season both teams got through to the B'ham Junior Cup final at the BSA ground. We the B side that was mostly made up of players from the Villa Cup Winning Schoolboy team Waverley Grammar. the A team was made up of guys one year older, Graham Lovett (WBA), Les Sparks & Barry Ansell (Villa) played in this team.
We the younger B side where all over the A side, but we could not penetrate their defense. They Broke away and where unworthy winners by the one goal that settled the match watched by a very large crowd.
After that year we where swallowed up by Jack Mould Athletic of the Mid Comb, but unfortunately they folded due to financial problems, their pitch is now part of Robin Hood Cemetery.

Any body remember Mucklow Brothers, Narrow Lane , Halesowen. The chap behind the shield is Albert Weston, father of my late mrs and son of Tom Weston who played for Aston Villa before and after WW1. Tom was a Cup Medal winner in 1918 and 1920. The photo was found after Lynne had died.

Hi Bob
Can you name the players please in the Sth Yardley Ams team.
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the interest. I cannot remmember all the guys whom went to Waverley grammer and will get back to you as soon as Ken Copsen replys to me. I am on the photo have a guess which one, if you get it right I will buy you a pint when I see you.

Hi Dave, thanks for the interest. I cannot remmember all the guys whom went to Waverley grammer and will get back to you as soon as Ken Copsen replys to me. I am on the photo have a guess which one, if you get it right I will buy you a pint when I see you.

Back Row Left to Right: ? , Me (IOU a pint) Alex Coupland,Bobby Smith, Dave Ladbrooke, Ken Copson, David Joyce,
Front Row Left to Right Peter Deathridge, Terry Wharton, Anton Rapps, Ray South, Brian Worrall, and Dicky Martin

Bob,
Don't know if you saw my thread the other day, but did you ever have a ref called Jim (James ) Meredith? He was my hubbys grandad and used to ref for Birmingham amateur football teams, until he died in 1964, will try to find the medal he received to see if there are more details onit
Sue

Sue I have made a note and will phone my neighbour who's dad ran Hutton Road for many years. Jean.

Michael's Dad was an amateur football ref around the 40's and 50's he worked at Southalls I would imagine they had a team.

hi Wendy
Southalls did have a team in the Birmingham Works but they were known as Charford Mills I think, they didn't have a bad team in the early 60's.
Cheers
Dave

Back Row Left to Right: ? , Me (IOU a pint) Alex Coupland,Bobby Smith, Dave Ladbrooke, Ken Copson, David Joyce,
Front Row Left to Right Peter Deathridge, Terry Wharton, Anton Rapps, Ray South, Brian Worrall, and Dicky Martin

Crikey - what a small world. I used to know Anton Raps - his folks used to have the newsagents near the willow trees at Elmdon.

hi Wendy
Southalls did have a team in the Birmingham Works but they were known as Charford Mills I think, they didn't have a bad team in the early 60's.
Cheers
Dave
Thanks Dave I will have a look through some of the old books we have that belonged to Michael's Dad and see if there is any more info.

Sorry sue I don't recall his name although our paths may have crossed in my Football life, can you post a picture of Jim in his kit would be nice.

Regards
Bob

Back