• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Amateur Football Teams

COLINSTARK

knowlegable brummie
Finest footballers known to mankind. Champions of Yardley and the Universe (Division 7) 1960. Marlborough FC.

Back Row L/R Lewis, Roger Pratty, Tony Pollard , Dennis Williams , Barry Gamble, Rob Pedlingham
Front L/R Some little feller, Frankie Treacy, Clive Smith, Johnny Williams, Reggie Phipps.

Some of us went on to bigger and better clubs such as the Brookhill sides, run by a very odd chap whose name escapes me. Does any one remember those Brookhill sides by any chance? Phil Kelly the Wolves keeper was involved. Bordesley Green/Alum rock/Stechford areas. Training at Albert Road school. I think the owner and manager was locked up eventually for fiddling with younger team members....he was a well known meat trader (no pun intended) in the Town I think..

View attachment 82060
H

His name was Bill Wilcox. I played for Brookhill back in 1961-62. Bunny Larkin and Bert Linnecor(both Blues) used to help Bill with the training,even though the had moved to Norwich and Lincoln.Bill Wilcox hzd a good relationship sith Wolves and one or two of us got to go there for trials et . COLIN STARK

jonnybrowne

knowlegable brummie
I know they re-fomed a few few years back, but does anyone have any memories of the original Paget Rangers in the 1940s? my mum used to go and watch them as a teenager, and before she met my dad went out for a while with Dougie Lishman who later played for Arsenal.

Mum, then Gladys Ray, went to Paget Road school with some of the lads who formed the club.

Arnold Mason

master brummie
I know they re-fomed a few few years back, but does anyone have any memories of the original Paget Rangers in the 1940s? my mum used to go and watch them as a teenager, and before she met my dad went out for a while with Dougie Lishman who later played for Arsenal.

Mum, then Gladys Ray, went to Paget Road school with some of the lads who formed the club.
Did Paget Rangers play at Pipe Hayes park? My father-in-law played there but I don't know which team he played for. He played for many teams over the years.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

jonnybrowne

knowlegable brummie
Did Paget Rangers play at Pipe Hayes park? My father-in-law played there but I don't know which team he played for. He played for many teams over the years.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold
I think they did play in Pype Hayes Park when they first started - I believe they moved to a pitch in Walmley a bit later.

barester

proper brummie kid
H

His name was Bill Wilcox. I played for Brookhill back in 1961-62. Bunny Larkin and Bert Linnecor(both Blues) used to help Bill with the training,even though the had moved to Norwich and Lincoln.Bill Wilcox hzd a good relationship sith Wolves and one or two of us got to go there for trials et . COLIN STARK
Iplayed forBrookhill youth committee team that won the League and Youth committee cup back in 1959, final played at Cadburys and we beat Erdington Abbey 9/1, Wilcox took us to Pattisons restaurant after for a meal, home games always played at Glebe Farm. Bunny Larkin held the club record for most goals in a match(9) until our centre forward Dennis Millard(?) scored 11!!!

jonnybrowne

knowlegable brummie
Training ground perhaps?

Arnold
Nice thought, but wouldn't think they'd train on a Sunday afer a match, and certainly not in a public park! Most likely local lads who'd adopted the colours for their team, or, bit more of a stretch, one of Villa's youth teams....certainly got the very young me excited though.

Last edited: