• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham air raids

stars

master brummie
Hi

I thought this map of where the bombs fell on Birmingham might be of interest.
Birmingham's 50th air raid was one of the heaviest so far came on 19th November 1940.
The map shows the vast area of devastation. The black spots show where the german bombs fell.
The unexploded or delayed are marked with an X

Image2.jpg

Regards Stars

Thanks for the map Stars, my Dad used to patrol the Edgbaston Reservoir for Home Guard.
rosie.

Your welcome Rosie, if you click it again and again it is large enough to see
things clearly.

Stars

Yes, thanks for that Stars, you get a little magnifying glass on screen too! It printed out well.
rosie.

Hi guys
It is registered that Birmingham air raids for these periods as follows a very severe air raid on Birmingham for thirteen and a half hours
Was targeted and the lost of lives was 104 dead this was on the 11 and 12 of December 1940
Heavy raid on Birmingham start of the weeks of raids dated 15 and16 the of Oct 1940 lost of lives 59
December 10 the 1940. 13,705 children evacuated from Birmingham
The first serious raid in Birmingham 25 and 26 June 1940 no casuals
25 and 26 Oct raid on Holloway head,constitutution hill

A wall of fire from snow hill to the council house
Aeroplane factory castle Bromwich 3 sept 1940

Best wishes astonian

As Granny White used to say as we held hands down the air raid shelter, That Adolf 'as a lot to answer for and if I get mi 'ands ion 'im 'ell' be sorry. our David'. Meant it too. Kind regards, David.

hi guys
back to the birmingham raids it is stated that an award of the british empire meal to walter taylor, voluntary ,fire man at bulpitts and sons
london gazzette 3rd /1st 1941
when a fire startedby enmey attack at some works fire man taylor showed greatv courage in going into a blazing burning bulding,
part of which had fallen in to attack the fire the heart of the fire which threatend to destroy the works,
he was not at the time on duty with the auxiliary fire service[ AFS] OR at the works
his brave action saved a section of the bulding

hi guys
back to the birmingham raids it is stated that an award of the british empire meal to walter taylor, voluntary ,fire man at bulpitts and sons
london gazzette 3rd /1st 1941
when a fire startedby enmey attack at some works fire man taylor showed greatv courage in going into a blazing burning bulding,
part of which had fallen in to attack the fire the heart of the fire which threatend to destroy the works,
he was not at the time on duty with the auxiliary fire service[ AFS] OR at the works
his brave action saved a section of the bulding
Hello Alan, today it's 40º in the tomato patch, 30º in the Man Cave and 24º in the air conditioned house, so I opened the HP Sauce for a quick sniff, of times long gone, and made a Sanga of bacon and egg. Then I opened the computer and there you were with my daily fix of Astonmemorabilia. I had a bit of a think about your place in our history,and realised as I too am about the same age I reckon between the two of us we could tell a tale or two. Keep the home fires burning, young fella, and as your footsteps echo on the cobblestones so does my grey matter kick in every now and again as I walk along 'The Cut', so I too can expand on the greater picture of our lives. Kind regards,and thanks, David.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost a school friend in the raid of Nov 1940. We were both 7years old. R i P Gordon

Gordon Tranter (Civilian) Killed at the age of 7 during an attack on 13 Lime Grove, Venetia Road, Small Heath, 19 November 1940

I lost a school friend in the raid of Nov 1940. We were both 7years old. R i P Gordon

Gordon Tranter (Civilian) Killed at the age of 7 during an attack on 13 Lime Grove, Venetia Road, Small Heath, 19 November 1940
Know how you feel Nick, that's how I feel about the Freer family in Church Lane and it doesn't matter how long time passes they are still part of us eh. Some say move on and maybe they are right but a mate is a mate and memories are our own diamonds to cherish. Kind regards, David. Lest we forget.

Hello Astonian, I have probably come in at the "tail end" as usual but I think you missed one of the air raids in Birmingham.

I think it was November 1940 that the varmints trapped me in the cellar ??

I have never bin the same since , but I do try??

Betty.

David was that church lane aston,...if so l remember my g/parents talking about it when l was a child, they had a newsagents at no.61 and when church lane got bombed thats when they decided to take me and my brother to the country to get away from the bombing, my mother took over the newsagents untill we returned about 3yrs later...Brenda

Yes Brenda, that was Aston. The dad worked for my father and he went out of the shelter to help dig out someone buried alive across the street. It was a direct hit. Mother, son and two daughters. I was with mom and dad in the kitchen when he came to tell dad he needed some time off carrying coal while he "Sorted things out' as he put it. I've never heard three grown ups sob like they did, before or since. Can still hear it as I type this. Kind Regards, David.

hi guys
The award of the ,KINGS COMMEDATION, TO MRS JULIA PEASON OF 66 BRISTOL RD, SHOULD BE COMMENDED FOR Her gallantry .
It was recorded that she was infact herself struck by a piece of projectile which broke the metal button of her steel helmet.
She showed the greatest coolness and steadiness in issuing orders in dealing personaly with the casualities.
At 9 .50. pm a high explosive bomb crashed through the circular sky light of the baths and exploded near the stair case leadin to the basement,
Shortly before mrs julia peason; the first Aid post officier had orderded staff to the shelter in the basement and all but three mis I Brooks miss D Adams
And Mrs c lYSON took cover; when the bomb exploded mrs Pearson was manning the telephone in the post office the glass parition shattered
And she was bruised and cut but carried on working and kept control of the situtation ;
Three people were killed out rigt by the explosion ,
MISS ADAMS A MR LEWIS AND THE BATHS ATTENDANT MR H ROSE ; OTHERS WAS SERIOUSLY INJURED AND TWO LATER DIED IN HOSPITAL
THIS WAS RAID WAS OCTOBER 26TH 1940 ;
THE AWARD OF THE KINGS COMMEDATION WHILST WORKING AS A PART OF TH ARP CASUALTY SERVICE FIRST AID POST KENT STREET BATHS
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN;;

David l wander if you remember my g/parents newsagents.known as the coateses...walking down Church Lane from Lichfield road on the right hand side no 61 i think by the lamp post...they were there for years and l think they closed up in the early 50s.my g/p Bill and Alice Coates both past away in 1947 my uncle took it over and kept it going untill the early 50s...my g/f was born in church Lane and died there only left it twice once for the great war and when my brother and l were evacuated....Brenda

Hi Brenda
Sorry I missed you out I could imagine what it was like to have been there sorry I interrupt your thread but I know David and I know he will read your thread as well I did know church lane myself as David will tell you but sadly I do not recall your relies I recall the paper shop but not by names sadly my friends lived in those big houses as you come down with the big high front steps and I went out with a girl called sue pritchard she died way back in the fifties
But any way Dave will be on soon and confirm if he knew them
But I am only stating now about the action we got from those vermins of yesteryears DEC 3 1940 we had four and a half hours bombed raids
Hitting bordesley green and of course our Aston Barbara I was on Lichfield red just up from you next to Thompsons butchers
Up the terrace and our living room wall backed to the Thompsons slaughter department and I went to upper Thomas street and all my mates lived down the church lane and I recall the lady selling the toffee apples in her window for a penny you had to go around the corner from the paper shop to get to her back door to buy it
Best wishes astonian
This is what I am stating from records 3/

hi guys
birmingham at its worsed air raids recorded;
11 and 12 december very serious raid took place on our city of birmingham , it was so seious
It was an 13 and a half hours of bombing that the gerrys did on birmingham we lost a afew friends and comrads the total lost of life was 104 whom died in our city
November 18 -19 .the raid was 9 hours and forty five minutes , the BSA . works was badley damage lost of life 53 died ,
NOV 22-23 , Worst raid on birmingham 3 water mains destroyed , much of the city was with out water,
JULY 27 th Alone german air craftmade a failed attempt to bomb Saltley gas works ;

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Astonian,
Do you have any information on the night that Bulpits in Icknield Street was aerial Torpeded and if there were any casualties, I was playing at the top of Camden Street and saw it burning, also saw one of the German Aircraft flying over, ran like hell.
What, if you know, was the date?

Back