• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Accident Hospital

leonardjob

Great Russell St
Edit. For discussion about Queens Hospital, please see this thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/queens-hospital.7149/

..........................................................................................................................

As a child I had cause to spend nmuch time in this Hospital Burns Unit which was led by a Mr. Jackson...a marvellous surgeon.
What happens to their records and archives. I know that as a burns case I had lots of photos taken and would love to find them

[
What happens to their records and archives. I know that as a burns case I had lots of photos taken and would love to find them[/QUOTE]

Hi All,

Possibly destroyed in the move to Selly Oak as they would not have had room to keep them.

Old Boy

Legally your your records would have had to be maintained until your 25th birthday after which time, unless they were selected as being of spectacular interest would have been destroyed. I know forensic photographs of the injuries sustained in the 74 bombings still exist in archive form as were case notes relating to the development of skin growth that was pioneered at the BAH. You are entitled to see any records that exist for you under the Data Protection Act, I would write to the chief executive at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and ask the question. Good luck.

hi ime patrick i worked at the accy till it closed and stayed there to organise the the move of every thing that was left much of the arcives were taken to the general hospital but sad to say there was quite a lot that was taken away in skips i managed to save the consultants libary which i passed onto mathew bolton college to be quite honest i was discusted at the things we had to get rid of but i managed to get most of the equipment like wheelchairs etc to overseas charitys so since the refurb of the general to the new childrens could not tell you what happened to all the old pics and things then sorry feel free to mail me if i can help in any way good luck patrick

I would contact the QE as that's where the Accy merged to, but think you may not fare that well with the Chief Exec, so would contact the PALS team there - their remit is patient advice and liason, so they would be best placed to advise you who to approach and how.
I did some burns experience placement when I trained at Selly Oak at the Accy and loved it.
Good luck!
Sue

Remember the old accident hospital very well.In the late 60s early 70s there was a Mr London Trauma Surgion.Because of the pub bombings I was patient at the burns unit there,had skin craft done,but did not work.They really did some great work there, Renember took photos of my burn expect they destroyed years ago.

Didn't actually work at Accy, trained at Selly Oak from 1980 - 84 went to Accy prob in 1980 at start of training for 2 weeks.
Sue

There was a sister at Selly Oak Acicident unit in the mid 70s,She run the department in such a strict way,but what a wonderful person she was.She would even put the Doctors in there place.They nurses were really scared of her,especially the young student nurses.She never married and was dedicated to her job,just wish i could remember her name,She would have no nonesense on Friday nights from the drunks. Happy Days

Cearnegiant, I bet it was the same lady who was the Nurse Manager in the early 80's, ruled with a rod of iron, but would defend her nurses to the hilt!!Can't remember her name now, but it will come back to me, Theresa was her christian name. I was lucky. I loved A&E and had already worked in Trauma and orthopaedics, so could put plaster casts on efficiently, so I got well looked after on there. Pity there aren't ones like her now, there wouldn't be half the problems in the hospitals!!!
Sue

Cearnegiant, I bet it was the same lady who was the Nurse Manager in the early 80's, ruled with a rod of iron, but would defend her nurses to the hilt!!Can't remember her name now, but it will come back to me, Theresa was her christian name. I was lucky. I loved A&E and had already worked in Trauma and orthopaedics, so could put plaster casts on efficiently, so I got well looked after on there. Pity there aren't ones like her now, there wouldn't be half the problems in the hospitals!!!
Sue
Think you are right,Just seeing problems on news today about the care of old in hospital,Know easy to say but the old ward sisters would not of tolerated it,Sister was God MAtron was God almighty

Did you work in hospitals too?or just been in them a lot?
We were in awe of the Matrons and the ward sisters, now there is no respect at all - the students are in charge of what they do!!But then that seems to be a general thing in society!
Sue

Hi,I joined Ambulance Service in Birmingham in 1971,At that time stationed Bristol road,In and out Selly Oak all the time,I finally transfered to Dorset and worked on service there, Retired few years ago,Now do some work with Red Cross and local Drug rehab, Barry

Were you at Bristol Road 1980-84?if you were, do you recall John O'Malley and Mike, who became a team leader - he was involved in an incident on Bristol Road with a pedestrian, can't remember his surname?
Sue

Hi Sue, I was at Chelmsley Wood Ambulance Station at that time, I remember many names from Bristol road, It all went under reorganisation in late 70s, But names you mention do not unfortunatly recall, Tommy Nolan was one of my leaders when at Bristol road, There is great book called Blue lights and Long Nights ,Written by Birmingham Ambulance driver from 1970s, HE was friend of mine, Barry

hi

yes my old friend Mr london. After a searing tackle on Heybarnes Rec I was under his
gaze at the Accident unit. I remember the agony for weeks. This huge and massive cast
and thos crutches. The burning pain raged on. As quickley as it began one day around a
month it had gone. Around 8 weeks this monster cast was off and a small leg cast was on
I remember him well as he scanned over my xray. Hurt didnt it but OK now. Yes I said
well normally we would have operated on this type of break but we have re-set the bone
on an angle then plastered you up.
Another 8 weeks I went back the little cast was off and I was back with Him.
He grabbed my leg and with all his weight he pressed on the fracture. There you are
that will never break there again. I played on for years never gave it a second thought
well done Mr London

Mike Jenks

Removing the Ambulance service from the control of Fire service in Birmingham was good idea.The creation of West midland Metropolitan service again was good for service,although at the time caused few strikes and problems combning salary and working conditions.I had moved by then to Chelmsley Wood Ambulance station and was under Warwickshire Ambulance service.Our area taken away from Warwickshire and came under West Midland Metropolitan,Caused lot of changes at the time.with control staff being moved around.We went through three uniform changes in space of couple years. After that I moved down to Dorset service and that then went through major reorganisation. When first started on the old Birmingham Fire and Ambulance Service was told that there was major changes to come. My God they were right

Mr London. Ray Lloyd, (QAM ET) and I, (out of Monyhull AS), took him into Selly Oak Hosp some years ago from a big house in Moseley, he knew Ray's Dad who had been in the old Fire & Amb. He was elderly then, may now be dead.
The elderly Nurse must be the 90 year old lady that I took into the General after a fall one day, from a flat just across from the Accy site. She lived alone with an elderly cat. All the older in service staff knew her, my Crew Mate JJ said that she'd been a right terror when in service! Can't remember her name though.
As to the Amb Service, It went through reorganisation after reorganisation. Silly Ideas came & went. It became top heavy with a distant and centralised management. I was on the streets throughout the winter of 1989, we had incredible support from the people of B'ham. When B'ham City Council asked us to start our own service, I was in the 'Control Room' in Curzon St. We were visited by various senior Labour Politicians.
Unfortunately, the privatisation via the 'Trust' system was forced in, and many of us, (those over 40!), were got rid of or left. I remember Tommy Nolan, he was teaching Driving with Rick Mears when I joined, (mid 80s).

Back