• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Accents

Status
Not open for further replies.
some one told me electrocution lessons, made you speak Better and posh..and.not like a brummie ..., So i try'd it i kept grabbing the electric fence...but it made me worse all i could say for short while was heeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. i later found out he meant elocution lessons
1577776073035.png

Last edited:
I certainly don't worry about my Brummie accent and never have done. People take me as they find me, or not, as they are wont to do. The rain comes tumbling down too and there's nowt I can do about that, though I wouldn't mind giving the bush fires in Australia a good dousing!

Maurice :cool:

Love Wales been many times.But hate it when you shop and they revert to Welsh language.So of putting

I love Wales too Edifi. I haven't experienced the problems other people have had though. In fact we're off to play on the trains in the summer for a week.

Sorry, just returned to my post as I realised that this had nothing to do with Birmingham accents so I'm off topic! Must try harder, as my teachers used to say.

I love Wales too Edifi. I haven't experienced the problems other people have had though. In fact we're off to play on the trains in the summer for a week.

Sorry, just returned to my post as I realised that this had nothing to do with Birmingham accents so I'm off topic! Must try harder, as my teachers used to say.
Thats all rite me lady. hope you have a good time. ps which trains?

Thanks Pete, we're going to the Talyllyn railway in June. One of our friends is a volunteer there and he's arranging for Graham to wield an oily rag. Needless to say my oily-rag-wielding days are over!

Back to accents - I think I've said before that although Graham and I were both born in Birmingham, we have slightly different accents and although we've been married for over 40 years we've stuck to our roots more or less. I hate the way the accent is exaggerated on the TV. Have we got a list of famous Brummies anywhere? I mean modern day people who have retained their accent?

Thanks Pete, we're going to the Talyllyn railway in June. One of our friends is a volunteer there and he's arranging for Graham to wield an oily rag. Needless to say my oily-rag-wielding days are over!

Back to accents - I think I've said before that although Graham and I were both born in Birmingham, we have slightly different accents and although we've been married for over 40 years we've stuck to our roots more or less. I hate the way the accent is exaggerated on the TV. Have we got a list of famous Brummies anywhere? I mean modern day people who have retained their accent?
I like the Talyiiyn. i have been on that a lot, hope you enjoy. They seem to be making more adverts now,with silly voices trying to be brummie

The actor shown, Mark Williams was born in Bromsgrove. Not a true Brummie I know but close enough to do a true accent.

na too far away to be a true brum speaker
video deleted already posted twice
the way wm is expanding it soon will be in brum

Last edited:
I do not recall anyone from Bromsgrove having a Brummie accent, I went to college there and also lived close and Bromsgrove was a regular hang out.
As I recall a Bromsgrove accent was more country.

When I lived around Brum, for sixty years, I didn't notice that most people had an accent, some were a bit more refined perhaps from Solihull some a bit less so, like my mate Alan from Old Hill. But in the last twenty years, since living in Devon, far more Brummies seem to me to speak with a broad accent, (including in Bromsgrove where I stayed last weekend).The way I say "bus" ie "buzz" causes particular amusement here in Barnstaple, no-one commented when I lived in Brum. I guess it's all relative and what our ears get attuned to.

Bromsgrove is getting an overspill now. like Redditch and Tamworth. Bromsgrove accent is more Worcester

First off I read the article in post #31 and as a Brummie I was offended the suggesiton that someone with a Brummie accent is likely a thief or a criminal .

What ever the cost of that research it would have been better spent on the mating habits of shrimp.

Birmingham has been the brunt of many a joke over its accent, and often has been exaggerated for a more comedic response, but I love it.

I think a real Brummie accent has to come from what we called the inner city or the inner circle, Gezzer Butler Aston lad great to listen too has never lost it, then Ozzy they say Aston but I remember him saying Saltley still a good one, but one guy that's loud and proud Jeff Lynn any of these guy are all over the net, but no one takes the mick or suggests they are criminals.

I think a lot of folk get a little confused and often think a black country accent sounds like a Brummie, I can assure you all I have never heard a Brummie say "tit and cut rot" let me translate " a tip and canel rat " that's where it gets dark over Bills mothers house.

I can see where Bromsgrove can sound a little Brummie as more folks look for greener pastures not far from a motorway easy to get some where, never ever thought it would become a overspill area from where ? Brum or Redditch.

First off I read the article in post #31 and as a Brummie I was offended the suggesiton that someone with a Brummie accent is likely a thief or a criminal .

What ever the cost of that research it would have been better spent on the mating habits of shrimp.

Birmingham has been the brunt of many a joke over its accent and often has been exaggerated for a more comedic response, but I love it.

I think a real Brummie accent has to come from what we called the inner city or the inner circle, Gezzer Butler Aston lad great to listen too has never lost it, then Ozzy they say Aston but I remember him saying Saltley still a good one, but one guy that's loud and proud Jeff Lynn any of these guys are all over the net, but no one takes the mick or suggests they are criminals.

I think a lot of folks get a little confused and often think a black country accent sounds like a Brummie, I can assure you all I have never heard a Brummie say "tit and cut rot" let me translate " a tip and canal rat " that's where it gets dark over Bills mothers house.

I can see where Bromsgrove can sound a little Brummie as more folks look for greener pastures not far from a motorway easy to get somewhere, never ever thought it would become an overspill area from where? Brum or Redditch.
I too was offended too by that remark about Brummies are criminals. I had to go to Bromsgrove a lot and there were quite a few folks who moved there. from Bham, I dealt with.

Last edited:

I have lived in Australia for 36 years but people still occasionally ask where my accent is from, just yesterday I was in the bakers and the girl serving me asked where my accent was from, I like the fact I still have a bit of brummy accent :grinning: saying that, my sister and friends in the uk say I have an aussie accent haha ...bit of both I guess but proud to still have a brummy twang.
Wendy

I have lived in Australia for 36 years but people still occasionally ask where my accent is from, just yesterday I was in the bakers and the girl serving me asked where my accent was from, I like the fact I still have a bit of brummy accent :grinning: saying that my sister and friends in the uk say I have an aussie accent haha ...bit of both I guess but proud to still have a brummy twang.
Wendy
No worries:)

I too was offended too by that remark about Brummies are criminals. I had to go to Bromsgrove a lot and there were quite a few folks who moved there. from Bham, I dealt with.
I think people, out of habit, blame a lot of the crime in their area on the nearest city or heavily populated area. When I was stationed in Woolwich, any of the many burglaries that took place there were said to have been done by East Enders. Here in Cheshire, when a Scouse accent is heard, people check their wallets and hubcaps! In truth, the worst incidents of theft lately were carried out by groups of Roma gypsies, using the M6 to travel the area.

thanks for the contributions to this thread folks...its going a little off topic now so the thread will be closed for a tidy up when time permits...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back