• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Accents

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I was growing up all of the females in both my Dad's and my Mom's families were referred to as "wenches". Both families were full blooded Brummies and not from the Black Country.
The word wench has been around for hundreds of years, and has both good and bad meanings.
I recall it being used but a term that has fell out of favor, unless in a period Hollywood movie.

Have lived in Kent since 1984,While shopping in Lidl said to the good lady shall we have some of these lovely Grapes.Alady next to me said !What part of Bham are you from,I used to live in Great Barr she said.Some of us never loose the accent do us.

There is also a thread in the forum called “A Brummie accent will hold you back in life.”

I was looking at a YouTube video concerning our own Jess Philips, Labour MP for Yardley and Hall Green. I love her Birmingham accent but won't post the video for fear that there is a Question mark over the politics.

Her father wanted her to get rid of her Birmingham accent, but she says that in reality a regional accent has been her greatest asset. She doesn’t think too much of the Peaky Blinders accents and what she calls her fictional predecessor Thomas Shelby (MP for Yardley).

As for the accent holding people back, there is an outside chance that she could become the first female leader of the Labour Party.

When i was at a training collage in Nottingham in 1979 . i got some stick about my accent they called me 67:grinning:

Not so long ago I read a book about Bartley Green in the late 1800s and was surprised to read that the Bartley Green accent differed from the Frankley accent. Weird because they are more or less known as one area now.

A good one on accents. I was taking a load of sanitary goods being delivered to my place by Landon's (he of the old Crown Cinema, Icknield Port Road??
"Where did you use to live" the driver asked of me.
I assumed he ment my previous address which was a village just a few miles away.
"No" says he "where do you originally come from in Birmingham"
I've never attempted to modify my accent, and told him I was brought up in Irving Street.
"I bloody new it" says he "I would know a Ladywood accent anywhere".
He then dived into the back of his Luton van and dragged out a chest full of old black and white photos of the area which if I recall his comments were taken just after the war.
Loads of great photos I recall of the area with more than a few of Holloway Head.
I'm not sure but the driver may have been one of the Landon family and the event took place some 20+ years ago.

A good one on accents. I was taking a load of sanitary goods being delivered to my place by Landon's (he of the old Crown Cinema, Icknield Port Road??
"Where did you use to live" the driver asked of me.
I assumed he ment my previous address which was a village just a few miles away.
"No" says he "where do you originally come from in Birmingham"
I've never attempted to modify my accent, and told him I was brought up in Irving Street.
"I bloody new it" says he "I would know a Ladywood accent anywhere".
He then dived into the back of his Luton van and dragged out a chest full of old black and white photos of the area which if I recall his comments were taken just after the war.
Loads of great photos I recall of the area with more than a few of Holloway Head.
I'm not sure but the driver may have been one of the Landon family and the event took place some 20+ years ago.

would loved to have seen those old photos

ly

some one told me electrocution lessons, made you speak Better and posh..and.not like a brummie ..., So i try'd it i kept grabbing the electric fence...but it made me worse all i could say for short while was heeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. i later found out he meant elocution lessons
1577776073035.png

Last edited:
I certainly don't worry about my Brummie accent and never have done. People take me as they find me, or not, as they are wont to do. The rain comes tumbling down too and there's nowt I can do about that, though I wouldn't mind giving the bush fires in Australia a good dousing!

Maurice :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back