• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham A R P

Alan Gaunt

My wife's Grandfather, Frank Garratt, who lived in Cook Street, Nechells, was in the ARP during WW2. He was apparently a water carrier in a stirrup pump team. Does anyone know which ARP Unit (presumably close to where he lived) he would have joined? Thank you

Welcome Alan. I've only just seen your post, hopefully someone on the Forum will be able to help you.

Can anyone help please ? Viv.

I too have been seeking help regarding the ARP. Dad was a Warden in Sheldon. I have spent countless hours and written many emails trying to find any information relating to his service, only to be told there is little to nothing on record.

OldBrummie.

It seems to be hard for folk to find trace of ARP affairs.
I know that many APR wardens, who had a bucket and stirrup pump - maybe this was their total armoury?
I do remember seeming many houses - doors and walls marked with white 'SP' letters - and that, maybe is all there was to it in many areas. How it was set up I do not know, maybe just willing volunteers in each road with little recorded structure.

Last edited:
Think you may be right there R R, we had a lady warden in Tillingham St, think her name was Edna or the like.
After the war she always dressed in clothes of the same style and color (complete with Berry ) but without the badges. Maybe the War gave her the reason for living, who knows.
Cheers Tim.
Ps they did a great job and lets hope they were truly appreciated.

Back