• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

birmingham 1969-73

The last of this film. I am sure they are all in the same area,
9. Have decided with Phil’s advice that this is somewhere along Beales St. Beales St.
10. Another that will probably never be identified.
11. Possibly Vicarage road, but not really sure.
12.A pub where we can just perceive Mitchells & Butler on the fascia. It was unidentified, but now has been identified as The Crown at the junction of Church Road and Alfred St
9__somewhere_Beales_st_beales_stA.jpg

10A_.jpg

11A.jpg

12A.jpg
My Grandmother lived at 16 Alfred st, and uncle lived on Church Rd and another had a greengrocer 7 fishmonger on Litchfield Rd. Thanks for the memories!

With the help of Brummylad I can now identify the five photos below as being in Upper Cox St. The first three run together and comprise nos 31 -19 on the west side of the road, while the fourth is nos 11 & 12 further up, and the fifth the back entrance of Mary St School , together with the houses to the right of it running from no 57 down to about no.49.
A few houses had been built in the street, mainly on the eastern side, by the time of the 1881 census, with a much larger number by 1891. The houses in the street did originally contain a variety of occupants. There were a number "living on their own means" including in 1891 Rose Wright ( aged 34) at no 26, who had her sister with her, listed as a domestic servant. At the same time no 30 was Herbert Matthews, a grocers manager, at 28 Frederick Smith, a carpenter, at 25 Trevor Brandon, a fish salesman, and at 20 Henry Sims , a gold beater. No-one in the street appears to have gained notoriety, or , at least, if they did it does not seem to have appeared in the papers with their address.

0A.nos 25-31 Upper Cox St.jpg1A. nos 27-19 Upper Cox St.jpg2A. nos 27-19 Upper Cox St.jpg3A.11 and 12 Upper Cox St.jpg4B . back mary st school.jpgmap c1950 Upper cox St.jpg

On the corner of Upper Cox St with Balsall Heath Road (180 Balsall Heath Road) was the Wearwell Overalls Co. This can be seen on the map in the previous post. The company was formed in 1939 at 20 Longbridge Road to manufacture, though they did also make army uniforms at one time. They added this site, which seems to have been more a shop and offices, in the early 1950s and remained until the late 1960s, when they moved the business to Tamworth. Immediately before WW2 the site had been occupied for a short time by a furniture dealer, Emanuel Miller. However originally , in around 1870 till about 1937 it was a bakers, originally run by Thomas Marshall, and for the last 20 years by the Proffitt & Westwood chain.
To the left of Wearwells , no.182 seems always o have been an off-licence, the last tenant being J.J. Clooney.
Next door, G.H.Monk & Co had a number of retail shops in Birmingham, but only had this wholesale site at nos.184, 186 since the early 1950s. Previously no 186, presumably including the factory behind shown on the map, had always been a butchers. Before WW2 no 184, other than a short period as a tailors, had always been a grocers with different occupants..
No 188 always to have been a grocers of some sort, while no 190, on the far left of the second photo had been a toy retailer, a childrens clothes shop amongst other things.

5. Balsall Heath Road.Upper Cox StA.jpg6B. Monks Meat.   186 Balsall Hth Rd.jpg

My Grandfather Richard Waite lived at 5 and 6 Westerley Terrace, Speedwell Road, would the houses there look the same as these.

Am not sure which houses you asking if they were the same as. I do not know where on Speedwell road Westerley terrace was . It was not a terrace of small houses set back from the road , as there do not seem to be any like that in that road. All the houses in that road were similar to those in post 277

Sue
Sorry to be confusing, but if your ancestor had been living at an address such as this in the mid 1900s , then I could not have been certain that 5.6 Westerley Terrace, Speedwell Road was the same address as 5,6 Speedwell Road, as houses were then often numbered in such a terrace separately to the number in the road. However, as it was your grandfather, and more recent, then It is reasonable toassume that. Having said that, I now realise that I did take a photograph of this property and it is on post 279, and the position is in red on the map below

map c1951 showing 5,6 Speedwell road.jpg

Aerial view dated of Speedwell Road but dated 1952 so looking better than it was by 1970. The houses marked red on the map (Numbers 5 and 6) are marked very faintly pink in this view.
SpeedwellRd_1952.jpg
part of a 'britainfromabove' image

Thank you so much, I know the Waite family lived at 23 Speedwell Road in 1891. Then moved in 1901 census to 5 and 6 Westerley Terrace so most probably this road. Richards son Enos lived with the Kiteley family at no.7.

The Osborne tower is in the background of The Golden Arrow, at the junction of Gladstone st. and Church Lane. I should think this café was the last original building in the area. It had been a grocers from its erection around 1883 till the late 1950s, only changing use to a café for about ten years.
The next looks like it is showing the school in vicarage road again, but there seem to be extra buildings to the right part of the school compared to the first picture in #7.
No idea where the next photo is, though almost certainly in the same area, but perhaps someone recognises it
The next is 90 Church Lane, Aston. This site seems to have largely worked in metal trades. In 1900 Benjamin Bloomer, nail & boot protector maker worked there, in 1921 it was a shoeing smith, George Murrell, while in 1936 Sydney Barnett made chair frames chair frame, but by 1946 it had become Regent cleaners.
Last is one that almost certainly will never be identified, though again in the same area

4B__jnction_Gladstone_st_church_lane.jpg

5B_vicarage_rd_school.jpg

6A.jpg

7A__90_church_lane2C_aston.jpg

8A.jpg
The picture of the café on Church Lane looks like the place I used to work in the 60,s. then the tower block was not there, all the old houses were still intact. The company I worked for was Lambert & Flowers, pipe fitters and heating. The building was the office where we received our job instructions. They also had a yard at the top of Church Lane near the junction with Lichfield Road where the vans etc were kept. Amazing picture, I didn,t expect to see that place again, happy days though.

Following from post 283 , at 196 Balsall Heath Road, on the corner of Mary St was apparently H.L. Humpage, corn factors. Although this photo was taken in the early 1970s, only the small Typhoo Tea advert above the door indicates that for most of the 1960s it was in fact F & G Gould, grocers. Harry Humpage started the corn factors around 1906 in Ladypool Road and 15 Mary St, but moved to this corner site in the early 1960s, the firm disappearing in the early 1960s as the occupation of corn factor diminished in importance

7A. 196 Balsall Heath Rd. corner Mary St.jpg

thanks for the latest photo mike...for new members this thread holds an amazing wealth of old photos taken by our own mikejee...many of the buildings have now gone so it is well worth you starting at post 1...enjoy

lyn

A few yards down Mary St, on the same side as Humpage's are nos 7-15 Mary St. The last occupant at no 7 was Mrs F.Wilson. At nos 13,15 are Shirley Jig & tool Ltd, press tool makers, though for a short time after their occupancy it was J & L Productions, general engineers, and it is probable that the new occupants had not bothered to change the fascia. Up till about 1965 it was occupied by Monk's butchers (post 283) in Balsall Heath Road, and would have had a connection to the other building via a yard behind. .On the map it appears that 13,15 were also connected physically with nos 3,5, part of which can be seen (white buildings) on the far right of the photo. The doors on 3,5 have wording " .. Productions" on them, so it appears that J.L.Productions repainted those doors, but not the fascia at 13,15.

8. Nos 15-7 Mary St C.jpg

Almost opposite the school was Camden square. Three houses at the back of the square are shown on the first photo below.

9. Mary st.east side  opp schoolA.jpg

The next photo is Mary St, and i believe it is probably no 18a , opposite the school

10A..jpg

Some children opposite Camden Square , looking down towards Edward Road. On the left Whitmarley hoiuse is on the corner of Knutsford St

11.Mary St by school + KidsB.jpg

Looking from the other direction, nos 36-42 are on the opposite corner of Knutsford St.. The far-left building(no 36) in the 1920s was a jobbing builders, and before that a plasters, hence the wide arched entrance.

12. mary st nos 36-42A.jpg

Carrying on down Mary st . Nos 52-56 look as if they were originally two large houses, but 52 and 54 , onn the left are now two separate abodes.. On the right, what was once quite an impressive house was in the 1930s the home and place of business of a pawnbroker, Mrs Elsie Machin, and (presumably) her daughter, Miss Zitag Machin, a music teacher. The building was occupied by various pawnbrokers back to the mid 1890s

13. Mary st nos 52-56A.jpg

A further down the street was what I believe was nos 58-60, the building in the far right being at one time a wire works

14.58-60 mary stA.jpg

In the same area on Mary St were these two houses, which I have not identified

15A. Mary St.jpg

mike these photos are invaluable to the history of birmingham...thank goodness you had the idea to take so many...be great if any of the children/people in them came forward..that would be a bonus for you

lyn

A little further down, opposite the junction with Balfour st are nos 84-92. The last newsagent at no 88 seems to have been H. Childs., who had been there since the early 1950s, though it had been a newsagent Next door, the last name on the hairdressers at no 90 seems somewhat out of place - Patt's of Mayfair. They were possibly originally a father/daughter or husband /wife team, as the original name, when they supposedly moved from London around 1960 to take over the business of the more down to earth sounding Horace Watkins ,was Paul's of Mayfair. both these properties had served the same purpose since the very early 1900s, though before then no 90 was a fried fish shop.

16. Mary Street nos 84-92.newsaent at no 88.jpg

Last edited:
Back