• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

birmingham 1969-73

Posted the last post before seeing your post. This photo was taken directly after the previous 3. As far as I can see it must have been taken along Balfour st, and I can't see myself going away , and then coming back (though it is possible), and surely the mount Pleasant school is at the wrong position for it to be Gosford St, though you know far more than me about the area obviously.

No 21. This seems to be the delivery entrance to Furbers in Alston Street. Looking at the 1914 map, there was probably quite a large area available for hearses.
22. This looks a bit like an old style doctors surgery, and that is what it was from about 1936 to 1966, occupied by Mr (must remember that as he was a surgeon and not one of the hoi-polloi medics) Reginald Abrahams. Before that it was occupied by, among others, an artificial teeth maker and the Misses Fearn ,teachers of music.
3, 23 and 24. These are of Rann St,, the last being a shot from one direction looking down to a fish & chip shop at the end, the first in the other direction, and the middle one, a section of the houses.

Note added by member Jabaprawn :"pictures 23 and 24 i could be wrong.. rann st,. with rann st chippie at the bottom. walked past these houses on my way to school (oratory school,oliver road"
26. Monument road baths before their demolition.

21A_Alston_st__next_to_20_.jpg

22A_Junction_of_Monument_Rd___Oliver_Rd_.jpg

3A.jpg

23A.jpg

24A.jpg

26A__Ladywood_swimmimg_baths_monument_road~0.jpg

Monument Rd Baths , while at St Peters off Broad St we went here , strangely enough thinking back it always seemed to rain when our class went here . Nothing like not drying yourself properly and walking back to school in the rain. In the school holidays it was different though the odd rainy day , but mostly good days , then out of the pool for a cup of either Oxo or hot chocolate and a packet of cheesettes . That's what I call living , perhaps a game of tracking or cowboys on the way home

Mike

As I said in my last post after seeing your map with the school footprint inset I had second thoughts about Gosford Street. Yes it is possible that you were in one of the terraces off Mary Street behind Balflour Street looking toward Balsall Heath Road.

The next three photos connect and show a row of houses . They were taken immediately after the previous ones , and examining the arrangement of the houses (with breaks and the covered passageway in the first photo), together with the area being photographed, I am pretty convinced that they show nos 3-13 Balfour St (in red on the map)

10B - Copy.jpg11B - Copy.jpg12A.jpgmap c 1956 showing 3-13 Balfour st.jpg

great photos mike...one day they will mean something to someone who lived there

lyn

The next four photos again are in series linking nos 5-23 on the west side of Lincoln St (marked in blue on the map)16B.nos 14-23 lincoln st.jpg15A.nos 12-18 lincoln st.jpg14B. nos 8-13 lincoln st.jpg13B.nos 5-7 lincoln st.jpgmap c1954 showing lincoln st nos 5-23.jpg

Following this is look back in the other direction in Lincoln st showing nos 13-5, and a closer view of the other end of the row showing nos 18-23
17D. nos 13-5 lincoln st.jpg18B 18-23 Lincoln st.jpg

Yes Lyn, it was the 48 service. Phil helped identify the stop, and thus the position of the photos. I think the 48 (if it has not changed its no) still goed down there, though it looks a lot different now!

Some of the Lincoln Street posts, appear to show the centre of the road surface being a light colour probably where the single track tram lines were. The 39 tram route was abandoned in October 1949. The inward, city bound trams would run from Mary Street, into Balfour Road and thence Lincoln Street then onward to the city. The Balsall Heath tramway system possessed many single tracks in which trams travelled in one direction only.

Last edited:
Alan.
If you look closely the lighter areas seem to be structured (cobbles/stone setts/wooden blocks), whereas the darker areas are not and look like tarmac. Isn't it more likely that the dark areas were where the lines were removed and quickly filed with tarmac?

My pc picture does not seem to show setts in the centre of the road, where the track would have been, Mike. However, the tracks were in the centre of the road and you could not lift the tracks one at a time as they were connected by lateral stretchers so the whole lot had to be lifted at the same time. This could explain the size and location of the infill.
Incidentally there is a photograph of Balfour Street in one of my books which shows sets between and either side of the tracks. However, the photo is pre-war as it shows a gas lamp (with white top) and the open balconied car has an ornate fleet number.
It might be that the setts either side of the track have been tarmacked over. The traction poles for the overhead were on the same side as that showing the bus stop.

The following set of photographs show the houses down the east side of Lincoln St from 58 down to 35, and with a side view of the wall of the Woodman pub on Edward St. The houses are marked in blue on the map. At highest resolution, and knowing what is behind, the plaque on the wall between 56 & 57 can just about be made out to read Woodbine Place. the houses are shown in blue on the map below

The last owner in Kellys of "Tony's Cafe" at no 56 is F.H. Farnham, and the electoral roll shows not mention of an Anthony or Tony at that address. In the 1940s and 50s it had beena fried fish shop

For a short time till demolition, at no 50 Mary Cooper had a drapers shop.

At 47, with the Stephens Ink sign , the last occupant was H Sojka, a grocer, and previously in the 1950s it had been Edward Solarz, another grocer, but in th e1940s the shop had been occupied by Gilbert Barnes, a newsagent, and this is probably where the sign came from.

The first of the set go from nos 58 to 44

19B.nos 58 and 59 Lincoln st.jpg20A. nos 56 & 57 Lincoln st.jpg21B. nos 52-55 Lincoln st.jpg22A. 49 to 55 lincoln st and  half 48.jpg23B.nos47-49 Lincoln st.jpg24A. nos 46 & 45 lincoln st with half of 44 & 47.jpg25B. nos 44-46 Lincoln st.jpg

Attachments

• map c1954 showing 35-58 lincoln st.jpg
    map c1954 showing 35-58 lincoln st.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
The second group of the set go from 43-35, plus the side of the Woodman.

The bricked-up no 43 was, until the early 1970s, the surgery of Dr Forbes.

26B.nos 41-43 Lincoln st.jpg33A.nos 37-42 lincoln st.jpg34B.nos 35-39 lincoln st.jpg35A, nos 35 & 36lincoln st and side of woodman pub.jpg

Alan.
If you look closely the lighter areas seem to be structured (cobbles/stone setts/wooden blocks), whereas the darker areas are not and look like tarmac. Isn't it more likely that the dark areas were where the lines were removed and quickly filed with tarmac?
Mike I was a little confused with the photos, viewing them on a laptop maybe. The road was not Balfour Street but Lincoln Street that caught my eye.
Anyway great photos to be sure.
I note in your circa1954 map the tramway is no longer shown.

The following two photos run together and were taken at the same time as the last ones, and must be in the same area. I did at first think they might be taken from behind nos 35-38, but am very doubtful of this, even allowing for changes that may have occurred since the map of c1954

27B.jpg28A.jpg

as always mike your photos are unique....no one else would have taken the same shots...brilliant

lyn

Mike,

As I suggested a few years back I think the last two photos were of the rear of the once bicycle factory that was in Court Road, You were probably in a back court on Lincoln Road looking at the rear of the factory when you took the photo, there was one down an entry by the bus stop we discussed and if I remember correctly there was a dry cleaners at the top of the entry.

In the photo that I am attaching the factory in question is on the centre right, by the time of your photos it had been divided up into separate units.

Balsall Heath Court Rd 1961 .jpg

Last edited:
Back