• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

birmingham 1969-73

If the building is still there then it is definitely not, as the site of this is now part of that horrible tombstone opposite the end of Pitsford St

nelson pub hylton st.jpg
If you mean a picture i took Lyn, then i don't think I do have one. Parkers seems to b e51 Vyses st,

hi mike it was cowperkid who thought you had taken a pic of the cafe i used to go to...i thought it was at no 51 ..as cowperkid said it did have steps up to it and if you look at no 51 those are new steps now and the cafe used the front of the building..mind you it was over 45 years ago and memories fade lol...either way it was a good cafe:D cowperkid talking about cafes did you know that this cafe on the corner of hylton st and vyse street used to be a pub..before our time though ? here is a photo of it

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4...4!1sBmonyTe97XRIE2fIbgwjUg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Mikejee a lot of these pics are very familiar to me I used to work in hylton street as a jewelry finisher at a firm called r j smith I started there as part time errand boy at fifteen years old , later started full time after leaving school , worked there until moving to Tenby street . Think it was about six and a half years working for ray smith . then went to the Austin plant for more money.
I worked at Albert Griffiths in Frederick st. as an errand boy in 1961.

A point I made in an earlier post, Lyn, Mike goes where Phyllis wouldn't - he was looking at dereliction and as Dennis has pointed out, recording it for posterity. I'm sure I've mentioned it on the Forum several times, there should be a legal requirement to take photographs of any building before demolishing it, and to deposit those in a public archive. Mike was doing it for years before any thought of legal requirements. History of any kind - local business, family - is difficult enough when you have plenty of documented material, but I'm sure some of the current politicians would prefer that we forgot about it. NO CHANCE!

Maurice
Agree so much I am try to locate a photo of my former home at 85 Bordesley Green a huge and historic house reduced to an open space now called Pit Stop :(

Sheila43, I always feel that there was a lot of shady dealing when these homes were destroyed. I know that my husband's parents scrimped and saved to buy their house in Prince Albert St. Then the council put a compulsory purchase order on it, paid them a paltry sum compensation and moved them to Lea Hall. Life was never the same again. Some people made a lot of money out of this sort of thing I'm sure.

My comment does not fit the time scale of the thread but it does echo the comments Lady P made about her in-laws.
I had some relatives that moved to the city from London (just post WW1) and settled in Spring Hill. As the family grew (large families in those days) they were moved to Warstock. I am not sure how long they were in Warstock, suffice to say that it was not a long time. Being city folks they did not enjoy the more rural - at that time - environment. probably missed their friends and had longer journeys to town, so they decided to move back into the area they were more familiar with. Interestingly as the family grew up only one or two remained in the inner city when married the rest moving into the suburbs. Warstock must have made an impression on them. :)

Last edited:
Apparently the space where my in-laws lived was a car park for at least ten years. Then houses were built in Victoria Road, which backs onto Prince Albert Street, and they have very long gardens so the in-laws house was demolished to build gardens - something wrong there then!

Apparently the space where my in-laws lived was a car park for at least ten years. Then houses were built in Victoria Road, which backs onto Prince Albert Street, and they have very long gardens so the in-laws house was demolished to build gardens - something wrong there then!
I have to agree Lady P, what year span did your inlaws live in Prince Albert street I might have known them :) I noticed on google maps that the left hand side there were now no houses where our shop and the neighbours houses once stood

The Jennings lived in Prince Albert Street between 1956 & 1967 and the Johnsons were in Victoria Street before and after them.

Following on from the last photographs:
28. Douro Wine shops seem to be very alive and well on the corner of Lodge road and Ford st. An almost identical B&W picture is in David Harvey’s new Hockley book, dated 1966, and without the flats, but with the demolished building down the side and the same "temporary" sheeting down the side of the building behind.
29. It’s probably in the Lodge road area but we're not sure where Alf's Half Way House Cafe was. Does anyone remember having breakfast in it?
Note from Carolina: "
picture No29 on 20/3/2009 the cafe is Ford street to the right and Park Road to the left. When I delivered papers for Peggy which was the papershop next to it, I used to fetch her a sandwich from there every morning."
30. One lonely corner shop on the corner of Whitmore st. The houses were knocked down first leaving the corner shops to rot. This seems to have been closed for some time, but hasn't been demolished.
Note added by Terryb 18: "
Picture number 30 that shows a building on the corner of Whitmore St/Park rd used to be a cafe. I know because I lived right opposite it in the 50's. The pictures are of the same building. The first picture is the one in post 24 and in the second picture the shop where the canopy is down was a newsagent and we used to know it as Elsie's."
Added by Mikejee: The newsagent was Miss Elsie Smith, according to the directories, and (in 1965) the café was C.Doyle, dining rooms '
31. Unlike the last place this establishment at 135-137 Park Road seems to have been used to the end, and looks as if its only just been boarded up (all the windows are intact). When they were first built in the 1870s (and were then numbered 61 & 62) they were occupied by Edward Arch, butcher, and Frederick Moore, grocer.
mike

28B__corner_lodge_rd__Ford_st.jpg

29B_Alf_Masons_half_way_house_cafe.jpg

30B__corner_whitmore_st.jpg

31B__135-137_park_road.jpg

My dad Reg Hackett was a well known Tool Maker in the Jewellery Quarter working at 64 Spencer Street in the 60s and then moving to work in Albion Street until the late 70s.

Following on from the last posted picture in post 144
The next three were taken after the last one on the corner of Balfour St . They run together, the first to the left of the second which is to the left of the third. They would have been near Balfour St, but I have not been able to confirm exactly where.

8B. back of houses near  Balfour St.jpg

7A back of houses near  Balfour St.jpg

6A. back of houses near  Balfour St.jpg

Mike

A the third image of the three shows Mount Pleasant School on the right, which was on Balsall Heath Road. I think these 3 photos must be Balflour Street.

Thank you Phil. I think you are right. the map below shows the approximate position of Mount pleasant School in red outline, and that would ,I think , make the houses shown be the back of Violet place and Clevedon Place (marked in blue )

map c1951 showing approx laterposition of mount pleasanr t school.jpg

Mike

Sorry mate, I know I put Balflour Street, but I meant to put Gosford Street. Though now looking at your map I think it could possibly have been Arter Street as Gosford Street looks too far down the hill.

just goes to show phil...i thought that building on the right pic 3 looked more like a large factory than a school:rolleyes:

Next I must have just moved position slightly and pointed the camera to show the junction of Balfour St and Mary St (Mary St sign can be read).
It shows the back of nos 77-83, 85 & 87 being hidden by the building marked as sheet metal works on the map. the last use of this factory seems to have been by the firm Alloy Finishes, electroplaters. the building on the opposite side of Mary St with the street name palte would be no 86, which for a time was a greengrocers.

9B. back of houses corner Balfour st in Mary St.jpg

Back