• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

birmingham 1969-73

Mikejee....The top picture showing number 41 was next door to my granmothers shop, Rose Taberer, 41a Upper Cox Street which she had from the 1920`s until the war but the frontage was still there until 1962 when the council bought most of the property`s and rebuilt the house and housed a family of 14 in it. Next door to that was No 42 which is where I lived.....I have been looking for years hoping to find a picture of the shop but alas nothing.

rose taberer.jpgMikejee....with regards to your picture of No 74 Cox Street West here is a picture of my grandmother in the garden of No74...here name was Rose Taberer the same who had a shop at 41a Upper Cox Street.

Mikejee....The rest of the images from Cox Street West brought back many memories for me......I remember Mrs Shaylor at the off licence on the corner of Cox Street West and Upper Cox Street.....also Deakins Grocery when I used to know David Deakin.....My father used to take me regularly to Mr Horton the barber, who in the late fifties was rather an old gent then, I remember a large painting he had in his salon which was of a clipper ship in full sail.....in the early sixties my friend and I would strip our pushbikes down to bare frame and take them to Ortons and give a man a pound and he would hang the frames to be enamelled and we collected them the next day.......Colour depended on what they were using that week.

Thank you mr wombat for showing us the picture of your grandmother and for your memories, which so add to our knowledge of the past

Mikejee....looks like I am on a roll today.......Clevedon Road......The doctor in the fifties and sixties was Dr Rose and above him was Terry Scotowicz (spelling may be wrong) the tailor who my mother cleaned for and I did occasional Flyer drops around Moseley for him.
My grandfather who after returning from South Africa, where he was born, lived at 5/107 Clevedon Road in 1915...my cousin Arthur Albutt lived at 16 Jakeman walk and my school buddy Richard Fox (we went all through school together) lived at 23 Clevedon road...again you can see this road also held many memories for me. Other school friends lived there, Leslie Mortiboys, David Smith, Ian Jarvis.

what a smashing photo of your grandmother mr wombat and thanks for adding your memories to the thread we love to read them...

all the best and keep on posting..

lyn

Hi Mr Wombat,
Very interesting to read your recent posts, I lived in Gosford Street and went to Mary Street School from 54 to 61 and was for a time I think in your class with the others you mention, although I don’t remember David Smith. I assume you are DT I won’t use your name. If my memory is not playing tricks, I recall Ian Jarvis being a good footballer with a Scottish father (why do I rememberthat ?) You might remember me Robert James my best friend was Peter Bates who lived at the Wellington pub. I remember well Miss Frowen who was very Welsh andcould be very ferocious when roused, also Mr Tym who I thought was great. I went to Dennis Road after Mary Street in 61.

Bobj...Hi Robert...Yes the very same DT (David Taberer)...I don`t care these days who knows me I was never a crook or a thief, never in trouble with the law paid my taxes and now retired and broke.
I have to admit straight from the start but I do not remember you although the name rings a distant bell.
I shall send you a personal message.P1020440.jpgDavid Taberer abt 6_1.jpgHere are 2 pic now and then.

nice photos of you david..bet you cant recall what comic you were reading...maybe the dandy or beano lol

lyn

Astoness....it was probably "The Beano" believe it or not I still read "The Beano" and I am a Platinum member.

oh well done you mr wombat great to see some of our traditions are still alive..actually i think i have an oldish beano somewhere..dont think its ancient but a few years old...i will see if i can find it..

hi folks just to let you know that some more of our mikes photos will once again be taking centre spread in junes edition of the brumagem mag...looking forward to seeing them mike..well done:)

lyn

Yes, well done, Mike. Am looking forward to that; your photos of 1970s Brum in decline are stunning. Is the magazine available online as well as in print?

You’ll find Carl Chinn’s Brummagem Magazine website here. Nothing yet about the June issue, but you can get in touch with then through this page.

Got my copy of the June issue of the Brummagme Magazine today, and, as I've noted here, can highly recommend Mike's article based on his photos of Balsall Heath in the 1970s.

Actually Lyn. in the end I decided myself that, despite not remembering taking photos elsewhere, that it must have been away from Brum. On gasometer that was found that did look like that was in Norwich. I had been in Norwich for 2 years before coming to Brum, and I did return to Norwich on a couple of occasions. I still don't remember taking photos there, but think the most likely possibility is that this is where that was taken.

I had an aerial look at the Norwich gas holders see quote above and concluded that it wasn't them, the cross ties did not look right. I will have another look round there on enlarged pics and see if I can see that distinctive roof on the house in the pic.

Going up the east side of Cox St West, the first shot is of nos 98-100 with half of 97 and 101. The two plaques mark the entrances to Alfred Place (left) and Herbert Place (right). There had been a zinc works behind the houses in 1880 (The Byrne Works, later called the Colonial Works) owned by John Mould, who moved there from Sherlock St about 1880, but that seems to have gone by about 1895. In the period of 40 years after these houses were built, a large proportion seem to have had various businesses run from them with the person concerned and type of business changing very frequently. Of the five shown here (whole or in part), at no 97 was a stationer in 1880, wood turner in 1888, herbalist in 1895, bakery in 1900 and draper in 1910. Next to it at 98, it changed from drapers in 1880, cycle maker in 1884, second hand clothes dealer in 1888, & 1895, back to a second hand clothes dealer in 1900, and had become home to a cycle dealer in 1910. No 99 seems to have kept to a clothes theme, being a drapers in 1880, , a boot and shoe manufacturer owned by the Dickensian-sounding Eleazar Wagstaff in 1884, a male dressmaker in 1888, whose business, by 1895 was run by his wife, a milliner in 1900 and an upholsterers in 1910. No 100 was relatively stable, having furniture dealers living there in in the 1880s and a cabinet maker for some years after that. Another new trade, other than cycle manufacture, also was in the area briefly, in that in 1888 a house in Alfred Place was occupied by a photographer.
In later years there was less change. Joseph Stagg was an upholsterer at no 99 for many years, and when he retired in the mid 1930s the house became a circulating library for about ten years, but commercial activity then seems to have left these buildings, they presumably being only used for housing

64__cox_st_west_east_sideA.jpg

The next shot is slightly further down and shows nos 93-96. The two closed alleyways led (left to right respectively) to Oakfield place and Clarence Place , and with careful examination you can just about read those names on the Plaques above. At the time of this photo the buildings in these courts had been gone awhile, as they are absent in the c1951 OS map. nos 93 & 94 on the right were , in the late 1880s occupied by a tailoress and a dressmaker, though the dressmaker in the early 1890s was replaced by a jeweller from Holland. In the 1891 census James Moore at no 96 was retired and he and his wife Jane were "living on his own account", so presumably reasonably well off to be able to do so at that time.

0__cox_st_west_east_side_nos_93-96_A.jpg

The next two shots are shortly before others of further down the east side of Cox ST West. They run together, and in one the trees at the far left must be Calthorpe Park, which means that these are the back of houses in Jakeman Walk. This is (slightly ) supported by the chimneypots, most of which are of similar white design with jagged tops, as are the ones of Jakeman Walk in post 62 of this thread. the photos would have been taken from a similar position to the earlier twp, but looking in the opposite direction.

2C_Back_of_Jakeman_Walk.jpg

1B_Back_of_Jakeman_Walk.jpg

In respect of Mikes photos in the post above:

Hello, I have just joined this fabulous forum and would like to comment on the 3rd photo if I may.
This shows the rear of the houses on Clevedon Rd where I lived as a child. The middle house without the top window was our neighbours house and ours was to the immediate right of it No37. The rear fence of our house is shown with an upside down V. we lived there in the 60's right until we were moved in 1971 for the slum clearance. The bombpeck as we called it was our playground with many adventures to be had.

12669552_10207435353674627_5565731355950942085_n.jpg

The above map shows where the 3rd picture of Mikes was taken, obviously the houses that are shown as Jakeman walk had long since gone hence the bombpeck

hi jax and a warm welcome to the forum..the photos that mike took really are little gems..so pleased that pic 3 bought back memories to you..there is plenty to read about on here so enjoy and keep those memories coming.

all the best

lyn

hi jax and a warm welcome to the forum..the photos that mike took really are little gems..so pleased that pic 3 bought back memories to you..there is plenty to read about on here so enjoy and keep those memories coming.

all the best

lyn
Thank you, so excited. need to have a private chat with mike about photos that will shed more light on some of them

The photo of Mikes that I have wrote about above has some recent history as well. The same bombpeck was featured in a photo recently at the Ikon Gallery at the Varna Rd exhibition by the lovely Janet Mendholson. In the photo it shows a young girl playing with her neighbours. That young 8 year old girl in the photo was me with my arms poised in the air as seen in the first of my photos. The second photo is a somewhat cleaner me on a day out at Cannon Hill Park taken at approx. the same time period.
12369266_10153844064171907_8914616854069604379_n.jpg 482724_10151384299752979_1983907680_n (2).jpg

Jax . That is really interesting. did you tell the Ikon gallery your story?. I'm sure they would be very interested as well. Would love to talk to you sometime.

Back