• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

birmingham 1969-73

These two photos have already been posted on another thread, but, for completeness include them here. They are of Islington ?terrace, , seen on the map a little above Hampden St. The maisonettes at the far end are Lapworth Grove.
25.Islington terrace.jpg26A.Islington terrace.jpg

This photograph, with attendant children, was very tentatively identified by Phil as Hartland Gardens. just north of Vincent Parade. The 1950s map does not show them, only a blank space, but the 1889 map shows a Hartland Place in that position. Possibly they were already derelict in the 1950s.

37C.Hartland gardens prob.jpg

The following two photographs were identified by Phil as being on Larches St. The first as being on the south side, just down just down from the Talbot pub before Larches passage., and the second to the left of the first. He was pretty certain of the first one as one of the hosues was that of his grandmother

28B. Larches st south side near pub.jpg30A. Larches st.No's 2 to 7.jpg
The last photo below is presumably also Larches St, as it was taken between the two earlier ones

29C prob larches st.jpg

larches st 1950s.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for putting that map of Larches Street up Mike. My great grandmother, Lydia Mason lived and died at no. 98 Larchers Street on 3rd March 1952 (aged 78). She was living with her son William Mason after my great grandfather, also William Mason, had died on 24 March 1946 in 1 Western Road (Dudley Road Hospital)' Both had previously lived at 1/152 Spring Hill. Just to the right hand side & just off the picture was my Primary School (Ladypool) formerly Stratford Road School, which I attended from 1957-62
DaveH

There are a couple of aerial shots showing Larches Street dated 1946 on the 'britainfromabove' website and here is one of them showing Larches Street junction with Highgate Road top left marked with red spot and the junction with Ladypool Road bottom right marked with blue spot. left click and zoom for close look
LarchesSt.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove'

Running off Larches St. is Marshall Street South. Below are two photos, which intersect, of the north side of the street, The two photos can be merged (with slight distortion) and the houses in the combined photo is shown in red on the map below.

35B .Marshall St.Southnos 29-33.jpg36A.Marshall St.South.nos 35-57.jpg
35_36A. stitch Marshall St.South.jpg

larches st 1950s showing houses in stitched photos 35 and 36.jpg

Nearby are three photos from Highgate Road. The first two show the same series of (ex-)shops from two directions. The Provincial Press, was at no 59 and shows the buildings going down the street as far as no 99, though the further buildings are indistinct.

31. 59. Highgate RoadA.jpg

The second is looking in the other direction showing nos 61-75. (nos 59-75 marked in red on the map)

26B.Highgate road.jpg
map 1950s Highgate road showing buildings in photos.jpg

The third photo shows the buildings in blue on the map which are indistinct on the first photo, nos 91-99 Hoghgate st, and a part of the frontage of no 2 Turner St. Two buildings stand out, No 93 , K.E.M (Birmingham) Ltd, electrical engineers, and R.A.Chinn, Turf Accountants. The latter, I understand, the business of the father of Carl Chinn

32B. 91-96 Highgate Road.jpg

Last edited:
bringing to the top for new members who may not have seen it...a wonderful collection of old photos taken by our own mikejee...please read from post 1 so that you do not miss anything

lyn

Last edited:
Back