• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

birmingham 1969-73

Opposite, on the corner of Balfour St,, behind the children who seem to have been following me around and playing in a manner probably not seen today or for many years, is 93 Mary St. Up till around 1893,when the street was renumbered it would have been no 37. It has obviously been empty for awhile. The last occupiers were listed in 1969. Alloy Finishes, an electroplating company, had been there since shortly after WW2, but disappeared from Birmingham after leaving this site. For a short time in the 1930s it had been a furniture dealers run by William Frederick Kibby, who also had another furniture shop in Moseley Road, and who had previously for many years been a pawnbroker in Bellbarn Road. Before WW1 George Humphreys had also used it for furniture dealing for a short time, but for over forty years, almost from when the building was built there had been a series of greengrocers on the site, the longest serving tenant of these being George Twitty. His main base was in Smithfield Market, but he ran the shop here for about 17 years up till about 1904, and the firm of George Twitty Ltd survived until the late 1960s, despite their warehouse in Skinner Street being burned down in October 1939.
The buildings to the right of no. 93 in more recent years were purely residential. No 91 had been the home of the Coleman family since the early 1920s, but from the mid 1880s till 1895 was home and workshop to William Edward Woodward who then moved to Lionel Street. He began as a glass embosser, but progressed to glass gilder, producing the elaborate advertising signs and mirrors that are so characteristic of Victorian scenes. His son Wilfred was assistant to him, as was Alfred Zeppaniah, son of the bootmaker Randall Zeppaniah from Gloucestershire at no 89. No. 87, the house on the far right, had many uses, being a fresh fish shop in 1883, quickly changing to a more profitable fried fish shop within a year, which it remained for about six years. The then fish fryer, William Hartshorne, with his wife Lavinia became a general shopkeeper for a further ten years before leaving. Just before WW1 the shop returned to frying fish for a while under George Legge, but by 1921 was a fancy drapers. Taken over by Annie Eacock in 1926, she continued running it as a drapers till the early stages of WW2, but after the war her daughter, Edna, set up a dressmaking business there which continued till the early 1950s, still retaining the Eacock name after her marriage in 1948 to Stanley Mokes. She remained living there till the early 1960s.
17B. Balfour st.Mary st.jpg

Opposite, on the corner of Balfour St,, behind the children who seem to have been following me around and playing in a manner probably not seen today or for many years, is 93 Mary St. Up till around 1893,when the street was renumbered it would have been no 37. It has obviously been empty for awhile. The last occupiers were listed in 1969. Alloy Finishes, an electroplating company, had been there since shortly after WW2, but disappeared from Birmingham after leaving this site. For a short time in the 1930s it had been a furniture dealers run by William Frederick Kibby, who also had another furniture shop in Moseley Road, and who had previously for many years been a pawnbroker in Bellbarn Road. Before WW1 George Humphreys had also used it for furniture dealing for a short time, but for over forty years, almost from when the building was built there had been a series of greengrocers on the site, the longest serving tenant of these being George Twitty. His main base was in Smithfield Market, but he ran the shop here for about 17 years up till about 1904, and the firm of George Twitty Ltd survived until the late 1960s, despite their warehouse in Skinner Street being burned down in October 1939.
The buildings to the right of no. 93 in more recent years were purely residential. No 91 had been the home of the Coleman family since the early 1920s, but from the mid 1880s till 1895 was home and workshop to William Edward Woodward who then moved to Lionel Street. He began as a glass embosser, but progressed to glass gilder, producing the elaborate advertising signs and mirrors that are so characteristic of Victorian scenes. His son Wilfred was assistant to him, as was Alfred Zeppaniah, son of the bootmaker Randall Zeppaniah from Gloucestershire at no 89. No. 87, the house on the far right, had many uses, being a fresh fish shop in 1883, quickly changing to a more profitable fried fish shop within a year, which it remained for about six years. The then fish fryer, William Hartshorne, with his wife Lavinia became a general shopkeeper for a further ten years before leaving. Just before WW1 the shop returned to frying fish for a while under George Legge, but by 1921 was a fancy drapers. Taken over by Annie Eacock in 1926, she continued running it as a drapers till the early stages of WW2, but after the war her daughter, Edna, set up a dressmaking business there which continued till the early 1950s, still retaining the Eacock name after her marriage in 1948 to Stanley Mokes. She remained living there till the early 1960s.
View attachment 148770
Brilliant images Mike especially with all those children of different ages (not a mobile in sight) playing nicely together, all smiling and making their own fun. Reminds me of my happy childhood days in Birmingham.

On the opposite side of Balfour road, outside H Webb & Sons, metal workers at no 19A, the same children are again playing. in the late 1940s qnd the 1950s the firm manufactured hearth furniture( pokers, etc), which the site had manufactured for some years before Webbs, but the use of those items having declined, in more recent years obviously did more general work.

18A. Balfour St. 19a.jpg

Looking towards the other end of the street, towards lincoln St, The cafe shown in post 144 on the corner of Lincoln St can be seen at the far end

19. Balfour St looking towards lincoln st.jpg

Great pics Mike, I'm still hoping one will turn up of 100 Mary Street where I lived for the first 5 years of my life.
Lynn.

stunning photos mike...would any of those children please come forward... :) you must be out there somewhere

lyn

Interestingly the tarmac, which has been laid since the tram tracks have been lifted looks recent. The trams actually ceased running in October 1949. Some Balsall Heath streets were narrow and as such only had single tracks; Mary Street had both part single, part double. The principal route using Mary Street was the 39 which went to Alcester Lanes End, short workings were 38, 52 and 66 which went to Moseley and Kings Heath only.
There may be photos of Mary street in bus and tram threads. Bus route 48 replaced the trams.

By the time of Mike’s photos, the buildings look dangerous, great places to explore as a child but there must have been accidents as a result of their dilapidated state. There’s a sign on one wall “Danger”, but many children would have just ignored that for the excitement of exploring the abandoned buildings. I know I would have, although at the same time being secretly scared. Viv.

By the time of these photos the buildings look dangerous, great places to explore as a child but there must have been accidents as a result of their dilapidated state. There’s a sign on one wall “Danger”, but many would have just ignored that for the excitement of exploring the abandoned buildings. I know I would have, although at the same time being secretly scared. Viv.

so true viv...my little gang totally ignored the dangers of such buildings...its a good job our mom and dad never found out :rolleyes: :D

A little further up Mary st from Balfour st is Pleasant terrace. The area only a few years before was, rather appropriately, a pleasant, peaceful-looking terrace, fronted by a friendly local shop selling Walls ice-cream to the local children. This is a terrace that had been built to be open-ended, unlike many of the more inner-city terraces which were often filled in with more houses at the ends. Here the terrace is no longer pleasant and is in the process of demolition, but shown in a better condition in post 9 at https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...-street-balsall-heath-1896.51770/#post-685438.
When first built the terrace, and indeed the area, was home to a working population. The inhabitants were mixed but not all poor. A sale of 1857 from a house in Pleasant Terrace advertises "valuable oil paintings", mahogany tables, Albert gold chains and the like, while in 1861 the population of the terrace ranges through plane maker, saw grinder, cabinet maker, blacksmith and laundress. Most of the original inhabitants came from elsewhere than Birmingham, this being a time when the city was expanding and drawing-in workers looking for a more profitable existence. Significantly the occupant at the first house, probably the best equipped, was somewhat different. Robert Jones, from Wellington in Shropshire, was a proprietor of houses, presumably including many of those of Pleasant Terrace. His comfortable position attracted to him, a 40 year old male, a 29 year old wife. When first built it must have been a very dark area at night, but in 1894 public lighting was provided for the terrace, which would have helped life considerably.
35A.Pleasant terrace.jpg

While here is the back of the terrace

31B.back pleasant terrace, mary st.jpg

The shop at the front of the terrace no longer looks friendly, and certainly is no longer selling ice cream. A view of it in better times is shown in the link given above. The first known occupier of the shop was Letitia Bennett in 1861, who ran a confectionary and grocers shop with her sister. As with most of terrace inhabitants, they were not from Birmingham, but in their case from Uttoxeter. By the mid 1860s the grocer's shop had passed to native-born John & Elizabeth Parsons, though it was Elizabeth who looked after it while her husband, a military ornament maker spending his time making buttons, buckles and badges, had his name over the door. By 1879 it was being run by Mrs Mary Anne Beasley as a bakery and grocers, and by 1884 under Joseph Wilson it was described just as a bakery. In those days bread was bought regularly by the day and was a major part of the diet, which probably explains how in the 1880s there was enough custom to have 2 bakeries within a few yards of each other, one either side of Pleasant Terrace, supplying the neighbourhood. The shop remained a bakers till around 1907 converting then to a general shop which had several owners until it eventually closed around 1968 under Ida Cox. The shop, in its time, must have provided sweets and essentials to generations of the inhabitants, and just before WW2 some amusement to local children when under the ownership of Violet Pee. Here are two views. In the first vies the houses to the left show a miniscule view of Heath cottages

33E Stores end of pleasant terrace.jpg

34A.jpg

Here is a terrace of houses that is from the same film, and so i think from Mary St, but no idea which terrace

64C. mary st.jpg

While here is one taken immediately after that of Pleasant terrace in post 309. It must be near that place, but do not know the exact location
36A.jpg

This again was taken between those on post 309 of the back and front of Pleasant place, and I think are possibly Morley Place.

32A.  mary st.jpg

Below is a large scale map of the area

map c1950 of area around pleasant Place, Mary St.jpg

For completeness the following 4 photos were certainly from birmingham and almost certainly from Balsall Heath area,, but have no idea where exactly

15A.jpg16A.jpg

The following two photos were originally unidentified, but Brummy lad has pointed out that they are Upper Cox St.
Nos 71-74 looking up towards Balsall Heath road, with Monk's butchers on the corner. Around the time of WW1, no 71 housed plumber George Clifton. the wide doors at the end gave access to the yard behind Monk's.

18A.jpg

Running on from the bove houses are nos 69 and 70

17A.jpg

Last edited:
Also 18A & 17A were taken next to each other, you can see the circular damp patch by the down pipe and the open window on both.

Attachments

• 18A&17A.jpg
    18A&17A.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
Judging by the position of the entry and also the damage to the end of the row of 4 houses it looks as though 16A is the back of the houses in 15A

Attachments

• 15A&16A.jpg
    15A&16A.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
So, now we need to know what was behind the (sliding) green door? :laughing: (cue Frankie Vaughan)
Actually whose business was there lastly and maybe any information prior to that.

PS: Post 283, by Mike, in this thread actually answers some of those quesions. A good photo of the place as well.

Last edited:
There are very few terraces around Mary Street with 7 houses. Could be Morley Place (front and back).

Attachments

• Unknown Terrace Mary St.jpg
    Unknown Terrace Mary St.jpg
    925.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Unknown Terrace.jpg
    Unknown Terrace.jpg
    922.5 KB · Views: 57
Thank you Brummy lad. will alter post and add copy to the ###upper cox St section for completeness. I ought tpo have spotted it , but poosted the earlier ones (from a different film, taken at a different time) a fair time ago

Thank you Brummy lad. will alter post and add copy to the ###upper cox St section for completeness. I ought tpo have spotted it , but poosted the earlier ones (from a different film, taken at a different time) a fair time ago
Pleased I can help, your collection of images is incredible. I have been interested in photography since the age of 10 but never had a decent camera until I was 15 by which time I had left Birmingham and moved to Cannock. I don't underestimate the cost and the dedication necessary to compile such a collection.

The Osborne tower is in the background of The Golden Arrow, at the junction of Gladstone st. and Church Lane. I should think this café was the last original building in the area. It had been a grocers from its erection around 1883 till the late 1950s, only changing use to a café for about ten years.
The next looks like it is showing the school in vicarage road again, but there seem to be extra buildings to the right part of the school compared to the first picture in #7.
No idea where the next photo is, though almost certainly in the same area, but perhaps someone recognises it
The next is 90 Church Lane, Aston. This site seems to have largely worked in metal trades. In 1900 Benjamin Bloomer, nail & boot protector maker worked there, in 1921 it was a shoeing smith, George Murrell, while in 1936 Sydney Barnett made chair frames chair frame, but by 1946 it had become Regent cleaners.
Last is one that almost certainly will never be identified, though again in the same area

4B__jnction_Gladstone_st_church_lane.jpg

5B_vicarage_rd_school.jpg

6A.jpg

7A__90_church_lane2C_aston.jpg

8A.jpg
A family member has contacted me with a picture of the golden arrow cafe as they think it might have been owned by my grandad in the 1950s. Does anybody know who the proprietor was by any chance?

A change of scenery and a bit of colour. Some of the transparencies have faded slightly and had to be fiddled with on the computer. These are from Hockley.
The first two, 18 & 19, we think are houses in either Rosalie or Clissold streets. Grateful for confirmation from anyone who knew the area.
20 . Icknield st approaching Lodge Road, with the bridge at Hockley station in the distance. As you can see , a lot of these pictures were taken on a Sunday, hence the quiet.
21. Icknield st -Lodge Road junction. All the businesses are closed ready for demolition, and undoubtedly the buildings at that time were in poor condition, but must have looked graceful when new. As can be seen in the closeup, the detail in the eaves was very nice, even if balanced with regular holes in the roof.
mike

18A__Rosalie_or_clissold_Sts.jpg

19A_Rosalie_or_clissold_Sts.jpg

20A__Icknield_St_approaching_Lodge_Rd.jpg

21A__Lodge_Road_Icknield_st_jnc_.jpg

E__21__Lodge_Road_Icknield_st_jncA_.jpg
Hi Mike,
Just an observation on pic 20. The view is in the opposite direction looking towards Hockley along the one way section of Icknield St. What you see as the railway bridge is just a wall in the background.
Thanks for all the other info.

No 33 the last one showing a detail of the Oratory school.
27 shows the dispensary on Monument road
30 makes you realise what a desolation was left after the wrecking balls had finished their work. This shows a view from of Monument Road, around Hyde Road. looking towards the reservoir, with the chimney of what had once been The Ickiled Port Rolling & Wire Mills.later became the Winfield Rolling Mills, and by 1973 was the Hermetic Rubber Co.
34 and 35. More desolation. Pitsford road goods yard, that was, with Vyse st running across the top of the bridge.

Mike

33A_Oratory_school_hyde_rd.jpg

27A__dispensary2C_monument_road.jpg

30A.jpg

34A__Pitsford_st_goods_yard_remains.jpg

35A__Pitsford_st_goods_yard_remains.jpg
Stood roughly in the same place on Pitsford Street yesterday seeing how the new building works civils are progressing. It’s one hell of a size site.

A family member has contacted me with a picture of the golden arrow cafe as they think it might have been owned by my grandad in the 1950s. Does anybody know who the proprietor was by any chance?
The 1955 Kelly's (taken in 1954) says No. 7 Gladstone Street, and Church Lane
was a Mrs Cissie Malia, confectioner

Going back toa few more of the photos I took 50 years ago , the remainder are a little dispersed, but here is another of the junction of Belgrave road, Alexandra Road and St Lukes Road. The buildings shown are marked in red on the accompanying map, nos 99-123 Belgrave Road. They seem to have been built around 1870 and were houses occupied as a mixture of private residences and businesses. In 1872 no 99 (on the far right) was a ladies school run by Mrs Mary Ann Green, no 107 was Moss Green , a jewellery factor and 117 was Richard Maddocks, tailor. The school continued till around 1905. In the 1880s it advertised dancing lessons for both men, women and juveniles in the evenings at 8s.6d for 10 lessons

19A. Belgrave rd.corner. alexandra Road. st lukes rd.jpgmap 1950s showing 99 - 123 Belgrave road.jpg

Back