• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham 1964 Footage

One thing I noticed but don't remember is the traffic going up Corporation Street so C & A is on the right.
Only remember it coming down.

Hi APS. welcome to the site.
I can remember traffic going up Corporation Street, so it must have done so until fairly recently - when I did my training at Selly Oak the buses went up not down, I'm sure someone on the forum will tell us when it changed!!
Thanks horsencart for posting the clip.
Sue

Thanks for the welcome sistersue61,at the time of the video I would have been 14 so maybe memory is a little hazy now.

Remember traffic going up Corporation Street until 1984 when I left Birmingham. Viv.

Another trip down memory lane, what struck me is how much smarter dressed the people were than they are today, no jeans, hoodies and tee shirts to be seen.

I agree Sylvia - we have become a nation of scruffs by and large. I noticed just how clean and crisp everything looked in this clip, made me feel quite nostalgic. There was a lot about the 1960's to like, especially the fact that we were young!!

APS, you beat me by 10 years lol!
I think the routes probably changed in the late 80's, dad thinks later again,so does anyone know?
Sue

I think this is not the first time the direction of traffic has changed up Corporation Street. Seem to remember commenting on it (re. late 19th century) on another thread some time ago. But can I now find the reference? The best way to track this development would be to pull together a series of photos through time. I'd also be interested to find out why the direction of traffic has been changed, and on more than one recent occasion. Any offers out there? Viv.

Had a go at pulling together some pics of the flow of traffic along Corporation Street.

# 1. 1889 traffic travelling towards and away from New Street
# 2. 1939 traffic travelling towards New Street? (Passing Lewis's on the right, but can't see the traffic flow on the lowest part of Corporation Street nearest the station)
# 3. 1960s traffic travelling away from New Street
# 4. 1970s traffic travelling away from New Street

# 5. 1986 traffic travelling away from New Street
# 6. 1992 traffic travelling towards New Street

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361186487.794392.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1361186533.932130.jpg

So the changed traffic flow in recent times must have happened between 1986 and 1992. It may also have been changed in the 1940s too. And I understand now the only traffic will be (or already is) trams? Viv

Back