• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Online Gutenberg Library: A Description of Modern Birmingham, 1818 by C Pye

Arkrite - ta, it's fascinating.....going to work my way through it all. It's very well written too. Cheers!

I've now read it all; it's invaluable stuff...going to print-off a copy for myself. There's lots to ponder over. An excellent find Arkrite!

A great find - well done. I, too, am going to print it off to file with my family history for that period. You can't beat an eye witness account.

I'm truly surprised that there hasn't been more discussion re' Arkrite's remarkable find ... I would have thought it deserving of all manner of comment. Especially the continued references to the air and water quality of early Birmingham and it's environs. After all, this IS the 'Birmingham History Forum!

I was fascinated by the way the author 'takes you by the hand' as he leads you from the 'hub' that is Birmingham, along the spokes leading-out in all directions, on the ancient road-ways of the period. There is also a wealth of information regarding the local institutions and societies of the period.

And just how 'open' it must all have been been then; places that these days, are now hemmed-in by buildings ... the author constantly refers to 'distant views' as he travels the roads leading to and from Brum.

This article has been posted a number of times over the years John, but saying that we have a great number of new members and they will not have seen the posts pointing this article out.

Dibs.

Aidan - brilliant! Thank you for your link to a mamoth list of books ... should keep me busy for a year or two! Ta.

Back